It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls Were Strip-Searched At Iowa School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I don't have any kids but this in my opinion is inexcusable. If these girls were suspected of theft, then they should have been charged and taken downtown and strip searched by the cops.

Will these girls be psychologically scared from being humiliated at school?
Strip searched for $100. Is that how much your dignity is worth? If they need therapy from this humiliation; who should pay for it?

IMO to be suspected, and strip searched at school is cruel and unusual punishment all into itself. Should a school system be allowed to conduct criminal investigations?

ATLANTIC, Iowa -- Family members said this week that Atlantic high school officials forced five teenage girls to remove their clothes during an investigation into a theft.

The girls' families and their lawyers said the incident at Atlantic High School amounts to a strip-search, which is illegal in Iowa schools.

But school officials said the search was "allowable" under board rules.

Dan Crozier is interim superintendent of the Atlantic school district. He confirmed that the search took place on Aug. 21 during a gym class.

The girls were searched in a locker room after a classmate reported $100 was missing from her purse.

Lawyers say the girls were forced to strip down to their undergarments, and one girl was required to take off all of her clothes.

The money wasn't found.

www.kcci.com...

www.desmoinesregister.com...

Sometime I wish I had of become a lawyer instead of an archeologist.
Easy pickins!!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I just read a similar story today:

Expelled student sues over "unreasonable" cell phone search

Even middle schoolers are protected from unreasonable search and seizure when it comes to the contents of their cell phones, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The organization has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a Mississippi middle-school honor student, alleging that a 2008 cell phone search and the sixth-grader's subsequent expulsion were not only unnecessary, but also unconstitutional.

Southaven Middle School in Southaven, Mississippi has a policy against cell phone use during school hours, as many schools do nowadays. In August of 2008, 12-year-old Richard Wade was discovered to be in violation of that policy after he received a text message from his father (who was traveling out of state) during "football class." That's when his cell phone was confiscated by his football coaches and then searched by the principal, as well as the Southaven Police Department. At that time, authorities found what they considered to be extremely scandalous, "gang-related activity"—that is, photos of Wade and a friend dancing in the bathroom at Wade's home. The friend held a BB gun across his chest while he danced.

Wade was suspended and then eventually expelled for having "gang signs" stored on his phone. That's when the ACLU got involved—the organization says that the football coaches, principal, and police violated Wade's constitutional rights and even acted outside of the school's policy of merely confiscating phones during school hours. In its complaint, the ACLU quotes directly from the school district's policy book that says students using cell phones in class will "have them taken by the teacher and turned into the office" for pickup by parents after school. The book also has a policy saying that the first violation could result in a one- to three-day suspension as the maximum punishment (Wade's SMS incident was his first offense).

Nuts.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by loam]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wow...What's up with all the strip searches these days. Especially on school children, that is outright rediculous. It said one of the girls was stripped naked and they still did'nt find the money, wtf...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What better way to teach kids to go along with the police state than to have hands on facism lessons in school. It's a place of learning right?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Thank you Homeland Security for creating criminals out of citizens...........

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I live in this town and ppl are pissed about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahblah123
I live in this town and ppl are pissed about it.

As well they should be. I hope these girls sue the school board, the teacher/counslers, principal for enough to get thru college or at least enough to buy a shiny red Camero and years and years of therapy.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
WTF!?!?!

Under no circumstances, should anyone be stripped in school.
The school has no authority whatsoever.
I hope some heads roll with this one.

I love how they dodged who actually did the searching and that the counselor was new.

Tongues like snakes, them.

If it was my daughter...................
You get the pic.

[edit on 9/8/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This has gone way too far.

What's next... waterboarding 8 year olds because a muffin went missing in the cafeteria?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Do you have any pics?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maj._Skillz
Do you have any pics?

Totally unacceptable. And bad form, old man.

Since this is becoming a more common occurrence, I have instructed my child that if he is ever requested (or instructed insistently) to remove his clothes he is to call me at once. If he is unable to call me he is allowed to run away from the school grounds to a neighbor and call me from there. If he is captured or otherwise not allowed to call me, he is allowed to use the karate training I've been paying for the past few years.

If you don't wanna meet the mama bear....you don't mess with the cubs!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by GioTheGreek
This has gone way too far.

What's next... waterboarding 8 year olds because a muffin went missing in the cafeteria?

Haha!

8 year old says "I did'nt do it!

Principal proceeds with torture, "yeah sure, you'll talk...they all talk sooner or later"

new topics

top topics

join