It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's school Speech and my apology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Thank you Mike, that was sweet. I was just teasing though.

More importantly then anything, I just want people to see things with a critical eyes and make an INFORMED judgement. Then jumping to conclusions or partake in partisan theatrics. I commend you for taking a lot at the information itself and deciding for yourself.
It is "how" you disagree that is important.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Reply to post by KSPigpen

Your visibly digging for excuses now.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I agree with you. Someone posted not long ago that not everyone who dislikes Obama is a racist. But all racists dislike Obama.

I certainly hope that my decisions on Obama and this administration have been made with knowlege and forethought, not hatred and racism.

You make a good point in that we need to separate the wheat from the chaffe.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
My son's school is taping the speech and will view it among the faculty first. If they find that it fits their school philosophy and curriculum they will let the children (and parents) view it in the classroom.

My son's teacher said that her schedule is too tight to try to fit in another hour of non-curriculum related material but that she would watch it before deciding if it was appropriate for the students.

This is the most common sense approach I've heard yet. I can't fault it at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
mikerussellus, you gained my respect with this thread. You didn't speculate that the speech had been changed, you didn't find outrageous fault with the speech, you manned up.

I really think that's cool.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

To be honest, I did speculate. But I read and re-read the speech and could not find fault with it.

What spin is put on it before or after, is still up for speculation though.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Major edit: rewrite post. Topic is about OP's apology.

To which I ask, why are you still going to keep your kid out of school even though there's nothing political about what is being said. Is it just because he's democrat and/or you don't like him?

[edit on 7-9-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
"God Bless You "
"God Bless America"

Until we really define God and we define it all the same -
It's just more mind control.

How about we say -

"Peace for America"
"Peace for All"

If there really was/is a God -
I suspect this is what he/she/it would really want for us.

We have to quit referring to the fictional characters that control the masses.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

To be honest, I did speculate. But I read and re-read the speech and could not find fault with it.

What spin is put on it before or after, is still up for speculation though.

Thanks

Well Spin happens everytime someone interprets anything.

The fear about this speech was all spin. The acceptance by others was also spin. Spin is the subjective emotional reaction to something which paints it in your own bias, and you just can't get away from it.

It's because of this, that there really isn't any objective world that we can participate in equally, we must find those with whom we have common goals and share our interpretations with them and listen to theirs.

That is what has happened here to some degree. Mike, you and I both have a common goal, although we have different political leanings. We both look for honesty in our approach to the world. Which is the only way we can have meaningful conversations like this thread of yours.

Thanks again.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I don't like him. But that is almost secondary to the activities that'll take place prior to and after the speech.

His words, I can appreciate, but the activities surrounding it, I can't control.

Too many issues have risen because of an innocuous little speech.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

If we're going to be fair about the whole religious issue, I agree.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i think if there is going to be a serious discussion about indoctrination
and its proximity to students then maybe other issues should be included,
like military recruiters discussing foreign policy at schools for example..

but i get the feeling that more often than not the dissent was all about
not allowing Obama to make a televised speech to students in a way
which has been used by republican presidents since Regan 1988.

is it the wrong indoctrination or the wrong indoctrinator ?

[edit on 8-9-2009 by the_weirdness]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It's awesome that Mike can concede that the speech was harmless. It takes good moral character to admit an error in judgment and class to do so publicly.

Unfortunately, not every one has character or class:

mediamatters.org...

When will this silliness stop? It's giving Conspiracy Theory a bad image, like we need help with that.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I appreciate your post, Mike. One thing that struck me really as strange is this:

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

Since when are we allowing God back into classrooms? My children aren't allowed to pray, but the President can come in to their classroom via video and throw his name around like they are old pals and the rules don't apply to him?
[edit on 7-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

The irony...really...are we now going to attack the president for saying "God bless you"???

Does the partisanship run that deep?

Are you going to pretend that saying "God Bless You" to children is the same as gathering children to participate in prayer or teaching a singular religion in public schools???

You understand the difference right? Just not when it comes to our current president?

Really?? For saying "god bless you"???...it must be a crushing blow to the seperation of church and state everytime someone sneezes in the white house.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Obama did manage to squeeze in a little off camera conversation with 40 freshmen regarding healthcare reform.

Just when I thought that he set his agenda aside for for a 15 minute speech he launches in to a group of freshmen.

Prior to his nationally broadcast speech to students on Tuesday, President Barack Obama made a pitch for health care reform in a discussion with 40 freshmen at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Va.

The president traveled to Wakefield High to give a speech on education reform. The speech was posted in advance on the White House Web site to quell fears that the president intended to plug his political agenda to impressionable minds.

Although the president avoided controversial topics in his speech, he did promote health care reform in a face-to-face discussion at Wakefield High School. Asked by a student how he stays motivated to do his job, Obama replied that his staff gives him 10 letters every day from “ordinary folks.”

This is unbelievable. He is playing the pity card with freshmen. Obama is just trying to "help" people in his own words. He is trying to scare kids into believing that he can make things better.

“You hear about people who are sick but don't have health care, and suddenly they get a bill for $100,000, and there's no way they can pay for it, and they're about to lose their house. And you’re just reminded that the country is full of really good people who sometimes are going through a hard time,” Obama said.

“They just need a break. They need a little bit of help. Maybe the way things are set up right now isn't always fair for people, and that motivates you, because you say, well, I can't make everything perfect, I can't prevent somebody from getting sick, but maybe I can make sure that they've got insurance so that when they do get sick, they're going to get some help.”

He never misses an opportunity to press his agenda even to a group of wide eyed freshmen. What an idiot.
cnsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Plus what do you tell an atheist when he sneezes if not "God Bless You"?

(Atheist Sneezes)..

When you die nothing happens.....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I wouldn't apologize. If anything you deserve a big thank you. Because people like you are paying attention, Mr. Obama and his minions had to sanitize the speech. Notice the speech was made available to view? (at the last minute)

My son (who is a senior in high school) said Mr. Obama was roundly booed at one point....he couldn't wait to get home and tell me!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
while the content of the speech seems entirely innocuous, at last after the revisions, it does raise the question: why was he so dead set on doing it? He must have known that it caused a huge controversy when George H. Bush did a similarly innocuous speech, though the complaints and hearing came afterwards by democrats. so what was he really trying to accomplish?

was it timing? something to distract from pending legislation on tuesday? another chance to get on tv? a bit too obvious. why was it so important to speak to all kids, and say things that have been said a million times before by parents, teachers, commencement speakers. why did the president need to say it again, to children who could not even vote for him.

I wish i could now proudly announce the answer. the explanation. but i don't have it. I'm asking the question. the president has far more serious things facing him that need attention, like working with members of congress to work out some kind of health care plan, figure out what to do about afghanistan, figure out what to do to help the economy without printing more money or putting us further into debt. why would he push all that aside, and take the time do make this live appearance and do this speech instead of tending to the things that his actual job and resonsibility.

he's not a fool. he doesn't do things without a purpose. he had something in mind. what was it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join