It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's school Speech and my apology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
found here.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Some of it right here. . .

THE PRESIDENT'S BACK-TO-SCHOOL MESSAGE TO AMERICA'S STUDENTS
Help get America’s students engaged! On Tuesday, September 8 — the first day of school for many students — the President will talk directly to students across the country on the importance of taking responsibility for their education, challenging them to set goals and do everything they can to succeed. We want to make sure that as many schools and classrooms nationwide can participate in this special opportunity, so we are making the President’s address and all the information that comes with it available as widely as possible. Whether you are a teacher, a school board member, or a member of the media, find information below to help you watch and be engaged with the President in welcoming our students back to school.

From the prepared statements. . .

Now I’ve given a lot of speeches about education. And I’ve talked a lot about responsibility.
I’ve talked about your teachers’ responsibility for inspiring you, and pushing you to learn.
I’ve talked about your parents’ responsibility for making sure you stay on track, and get your homework done, and don’t spend every waking hour in front of the TV or with that Xbox.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I do that every day. Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s a sign of strength. It shows you have the courage to admit when you don’t know something, and to learn something new. So find an adult you trust – a parent, grandparent or teacher; a coach or counselor – and ask them to help you stay on track to meet your goals.
And even when you’re struggling, even when you’re discouraged, and you feel like other people have given up on you – don’t ever give up on yourself. Because when you give up on yourself, you give up on your country.
The story of America isn’t about people who quit when things got tough. It’s about people who kept going, who tried harder, who loved their country too much to do anything less than their best.

Your families, your teachers, and I are doing everything we can to make sure you have the education you need to answer these questions. I’m working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn. But you’ve got to do your part too. So I expect you to get serious this year. I expect you to put your best effort into everything you do. I expect great things from each of you. So don’t let us down – don’t let your family or your country or yourself down. Make us all proud. I know you can do it.
Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

Just chunks from the speech. Sounds innocuous. But I still hold to my decision to withhold my child from school not for the words being said, but for who is saying it and what is going to be discussed before and after the speech.

Make your own minds up people, and for those I did disagree with, you were right, his speech is innocent enough. Nothing too scary, I'll read it in more detail as the day progresses.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I see someone beat me to it, please disregard. . .

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Thanks mike... I respect your ability to mea culpa on the facts yet still stand on your subjective disposition.

Like you said... most of the people who were against this, simply don't like Obama.

But do me a favor, and think of your favorite American Leader and imagine him saying those same things. As opposed to Innocuous, would you support it?

I think that the cult of personality works both ways. There is no difference between an Obamatron and an Anti-Obamatron. Neither are motivated by facts, but what they interpret the person to stand for.

Ultimately, this is the grandest conspiracy in my mind. Truth doesn't matter to people. Folks don't want to challenge their concepts and ideas of what is real.

They simply want to chew on bananas and throw feces. The less bananas there are, the more feces is thrown, rather ironically.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well from what I have read it dosent sound that bad but I really dont want my kids to partake in it. Apparently though, in my childrens school we dont have a choice. They are showing it to all the children and we dont have the opt out option. If the children are not in school that day it will count as a unexcused absence an my children dont want to miss school because they strive hard for presidents honor roll and perfect attendance. It sucks that we as parents dont have the option to choose what our children are shown in school. I will do my job as a parent and talk with them about the speech and encourage free thinking. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I agree. It is a cult of personality. But to the facts, I don't trust him. I just finished reading the speech. Was actually quite nice, and I can imagine activities surrounding the speech at my kids school.

But I can also imagine the spin that might be placed on this. Like anything else, it's all in interpretation.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I appreciate your post, Mike. One thing that struck me really as strange is this:

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

Since when are we allowing God back into classrooms? My children aren't allowed to pray, but the President can come in to their classroom via video and throw his name around like they are old pals and the rules don't apply to him?
Oh yeah, I forgot he's the President, so he can make up his own rules. I don't care if he's a Democrat, don't care if he's black, don't care if he's Muslim. What I care about is the perpetuation of the double standard. Citizens are expected to maintain allegiance and blind obedience to whatever crap the administration pours down our throat and they can do whatever the hell they want.
They can torture in our name, they can ban any religious expression in school so that people aren't offended. They can bring people up on charges for saying a prayer before a ball game, but the 'leader' of our country is going to completely disregard the rules we have to risk imprisonment for?
Business as usual. Hypocrisy from the higher caste.
Which, or who's God would that be, Mr. President?

[edit on 7-9-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Just remember... the only reason it reads so innocently is because he got caught with his arm up to his elbow in the cookie jar. The WH even admitted that they struck all of the language about "helping" the President and "Obeying" authority figures and elected officials. I just wish that I could read the original speech before it was quickly shredded and burned. My guess is it sounded absolutely nothing like this one. I can't trust this guy as far as I could throw him - way too much double-speak, backtracking, obfuscating and mincing.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Thanks.
Ironic, isn't it?

A Florida principal is facing jail time for a school prayer.

friendlyatheist.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

True. Unfortunately, we'll never know. All the same, doesn't it show what power we still have, if we can manipulate the leader of the free world?

Gives me "hope" for "change" down the line.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My hat off to you mate.

It is so much easier to disagree with people of solid character, something you have just proven yourself to possess in my eyes.

Though I may disagree with you what may think and what you may say, I support your right to think and say it

is so much easier to hold to when we do our disagreeing with respect.

Thanks.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Animal]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Just remember... the only reason it reads so innocently is because he got caught with his arm up to his elbow in the cookie jar. The WH even admitted that they struck all of the language about "helping" the President and "Obeying" authority figures and elected officials. I just wish that I could read the original speech before it was quickly shredded and burned.

an excerpt of original speech?

"JOIN ME CHILDREN,,, TOGETHER WE WILL CREATE A STACK OF BODIES TALLER THAN THE TWIN TOWERS, WIDER THAN THE WIDEST SEA..."

"THIS NEW FLAG, WITH HAMMER AN SYCLE WILL REPRESENT THE WORK WE DO AND WAY WE CRUSH OUR ENEMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WILL FEAR US IN OBAMAS NAME WE PREY, AMEM!!!"

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Intellectual honesty is what we need if the goal is to fix our countries problem.

Nice move Mike!

And you retain the right to do as you please which is fair enough!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Looks good to me. Regardless of what it was before or not, I have no major issues with what it is now. If it took the people to have it changed from whatever problems may have existed before, then it looks like what was important was accomplished because the speech looks very inspiring and non partisan.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I think you hit the nail on the head with one word.

Spin.

Some of us don't simply distrust our current president (and past president), but also the state sponsored and run school systems.

IMO, what Obama will or could've said pales when compared to how the intermediaries - teachers - can interpret it for the young minds.

No, I'm not a teacher or school hater, I'm just pointing out that (my) distrust goes much deeper than surface disagreements with the current president and admin. The distrust has been there a while, and Obama is simply the unfortunate one to be in office when people are above and beyond fed up with it all.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This pre-released speech is no doubt a watered down version which now makes anyone who objected to the 'what can you do to help the president' version look like a whiny idiot.

I didn't bother to protest, nor would I ever dream of keeping my kids out of school or preventing them from watching the speech because I suspect they won't pay any attention to it no matter what he says -- and I expect more than half of America's kids will be ignoring him, just as they would ANY previous president, as well.

I'm very weary of political games and bickering.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Since when are we allowing God back into classrooms?

Obama wasn't praying. He didn't lead the children in prayer. He didn't advocate one religion over another... He did nothing wrong.

Originally posted by kozmo
The WH even admitted that they struck all of the language about "helping" the President and "Obeying" authority figures and elected officials.

They admitted that the wording OF THE LESSON PLAN (not the speech) was badly phrased they changed it.

There's no indication that the speech itself has been changed. That's just speculation based on... nothing.

My guess is it sounded absolutely nothing like this one.

Your GUESS. That's right. That's all it is.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

I've always felt that it's better to be honest, and learn . . .

Actually I did make a promise to some of our more liberal-minded friends.

I'll always point out something wrong when I see it, but the converse stands true as well.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'll never understand why it should be any fuss for a child to hear prepared remarks from the President, and then to have some kind of classroom activities centered on that event.

Every day people send their kids to school with zero idea what is being said to them by teachers. And that is completely under the radar.....but this....the sudden rearing up and squawking.....makes no sense.

It seems irrational to me to shield a child from what you personally don't like in this apparently innocuous case, unless of course, you're practicing your own form of "indoctrination."

***Thank you, but I'll propagandize my children my own way....****

What an incredible opportunity to engage with your kids, expose them to something other than the TV and the Internet.

I work in a public school district.....I have firsthand experience at how dumb, disengaged, and apathetic the youth of America is. But, let's not take up a challenge and actually engage young people....goodness no, can't do that....the precious little snowflakes must grow up as carbon copies of mommy and daddy.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by cranberrydork]

[edit on 7-9-2009 by cranberrydork]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I didn't see an actual apology in your post. I am waiting......

I figured this was going to be the speech all along. Whether you like him or not, like his policies or not, he believes in encouraging people to do their best.
He came from a background that wasn't conducive to successful material, faced racial discrimination, grew up without a father. Was moved quite a bit. He basically has the mentality that if he can do it, anyone can do it.

Why did I know this was the speech? Because he basically gave the same speech to the NAACP. It was a very powerful, truthful speech. And I commend him for it, though it caused some protests. he mentioned that he is proposing some civil rights programs. But there shouldn't be anymore excuses. The black community needs to stop focusing on being a basketball or rap or hiphop star and consider becoming doctors or lawyers as being successful. To stay in school.

And that is not just a problem in the black community. How many people are looking for athletic abilities in their children. Everyone wants a Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong. But your chances at any of those things are pretty slim.

I truly think Obama wants to encourage kids to stay in school.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranberrydork
Every day people send their kids to school with zero idea what is being said to them by teachers. And that is completely under the radar.....but this....the sudden rearing up and squawking.....makes no sense.

You're absolutely right. This sort of activity with the White House should be a wake up call for all parents.

to nixie, et al, I officially apologize for presuming that his speech would be filled with political rhetoric. I was wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join