It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music heals the soul in ways nothing else can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
In my opinion, I feel like music is one of the best stress relievers in existence. Whether you are playing or listening to it. I find that every time I am in a bad mood or depressed, the second I listen to some good music (no, not this crap music like lady gaga and jonas brothers), my mind clears... my body relaxes.. my mood just improves altogether. Music helps me in a way that nothing else on earth can. It has promoted major movements and change in the past... from elvis' pelvic thrusts that encouraged a new look at sexuality, to the beatles who encouraged peace and love in their lyrics... music has promoted some of the best changes in life.

Only as of lately has music taken a turn for the worse and now there are all these crappy musicians who cant even sing or play the guitar and they are only famous for their looks. They just digitize the crap out of their voice and turn it into some horrible pop music,cheesy hip hop,or 70's rocker wannabes who fail miserably. The real musicians are the ones who you see in a lounge or small concert.. who may not have the looks but BOY do they have the skills.

We need to get back to reality and have some good music and forget the plastic facade and inspire and promote some good energy again. I truly feel that music heals wounds that many other things cant. Just like if you play classical music to a plant, it grows stronger.. the same goes for us.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Thanks for making a thread about this Calihan. Music is so powerful, even though I honestly do not listen to music, only because I just don't "understand" it. But from what I have seen, its truely powerful. For Example:

Musical Therapy.

Musical Therapy is: Musical therapy the new frontier

Music Therapy is an established healthcare profession that uses music to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals of all ages. Music therapy improves the quality of life for persons who are well and meets the needs of children and adults with disabilities or illnesses. Music therapy interventions can be designed to:

promote wellness

manage stress

alleviate pain

express feelings

enhance memory

improve communication

promote physical rehabilitation.

Yes, Music, the heart of the soul and a true universal language.

Starred and Flagged.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
interesting vids. you should listen to music more often

theres nothing like enduring a long, stressful day at work and coming home and plopping down and listening to some jimi hendrix with a glass of wine and a book to read.

it makes me happy.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Classical music is the best for the mind and healing.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Classical music is the best for the mind and healing.

I think all music is good for the mind and healing... as long as it has positive vibes and makes you feel good.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I recently discovered The Dead Weather (a Jack White creation). Hypnosis is the only way to describe it. I saw them live in Denver and was completely blown away.

I agree music it is what barely separates us from cows...I say so because I read once that cows produce more milk while listening to Metallica.

plucky

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Muchly agreed...

I really should listen to music more and although I generally listen to music that's a bit "odd" and you wouldn't perhaps classify it as "happy" (nor unhappy), it is incredibly cathartic.

My tastes are pretty divergent and I can appreciate the fun and happiness (and good-songwriting(?)) in something like Pink or Abba (definitely good songwriting there).

Here's something that's ludicrously happy, celebrating something that's worlds' apart from my lifestyle, yet it always puts a smile on my face.

Hope you like it. Normally I listen to a lot of weird jazz or post/rock sort of stuff and it really makes me happy and relaxed.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Too true, there's nothing I like better than to come home, put on some prime tunes and feel the rigors of the day just wash away..

Sigur Ros always does the trick!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Music is the greatest accomplishment of mankind. Who would've thought that a bunch of random sounds and vocals could create something so great?

I spend every extra moment I have pumping music through my head. SLAYER pumps me up, Led Zeppelin chills me out, and Metric makes me feel strange but awesome emotions.

Music makes life worth living... well, sober life anyways

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I agree with you 100%++++

I am always telling my friends this. I dont know what has happened to music anymore. It is just bad. I dont really listen to any new artists. For 15 years I have listened to the same band all the time and their music has ALWAYS made me feel better. They are not factory made and they do all their own music. I have seen them in concerts over 10 times and they are amazing even with ones they cover. Matchbox Twenty has helped me in so many ways I cant even explain...I relate to lyrics and the songs are very soothing and inspiring....Whenever I am feeling down I put on my iPod and listen to a few songs and I feel better. One of their songs will put an instant smile on my face. I have always used music as a way to relax and think. I use to love sleeping to classical while I was growing up...I do the same now. I remember my bf laughing at me on how i always left the guide channel on at night and fell asleep to it. Well it played classical music and I always found myself stopping on that channel to listen. It was just the channel that told you what was on, but I would put it on and fall asleep to it. I grew up playing clarinet which was a great way for me to relax and be by myself. I would practice all the time day and night. If it wasnt in storage I would play it right now!

As for todays musicians and I use that term loosely they are IMO not very talented. There are a select few who are but the majority arent and they only make it on looks and their messed up personal lives. They dont sing in any way, a computer makes them sing. Everything is so wrong with musicians today. They dont seem to appreciate it. They say they do but I just dont see it. I miss the older days!

All in all music is in my life daily. Without out I would go nuts. I am always listening to something. When I cook I love jazz and even when I study jazz and classical are great. I was a little stressed earlier so I put my headphones on and listen to some music that made me feel good and it worked. Music works wonders!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Straight jazz really annoys me to no end but I don't mind jazz fusion. In saying that, though, even that can get annoying when it sounds like a backing jam track for drummers or something.

Then again, I don't exactly listen to therapeutic music. If you do need it, though, you can't go wrong with Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II album.

Amazing double disc ambient album. I need to add it to my collection some day.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Great thread!!!!

Music is life. It is man's greatest case for a higher power

Without music the world be insufferable.

A little of the old Ludwig Von as proof.....pure and inconceivable genius

[edit on 9-9-2009 by BlackOps719]

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was diagnosed bipolar manic depressant narcocissic extrovert with schizophrenia and went through the medicines that were prescribed with no satisfactory results.

being a hippy child and the movement of music into society, rock music is the works of the devil, opera music was the true beginning of rock n roll, srenading one with music takes control of the environment.

I am over 40 now and love music next to the web as a form of recreational entertainment, I have the equipment that most musical artist have on stage when they are performing, 7000 watts of power and the monitors and loudspeakers, etc and the greatest therapy for waking up is cranking it up and feeling the music not hearing it.

I feel alive and full of exxtasy when I get to wake up to it

I have since stopped all medications and use the powerful music of my choice as my inducing of that pill that will make me a better person in society

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pink_guys64

This is what I like to hear. Psychological labels are thrown around without any real thought put into it about the fact that we are humans. Chemical mind remapping and textbook therapy results to nothing more than a coverup of the problem with standard solutions, which really only benefits the doctors who need to get paid and the corporations who need to maximize profit. The power of music is no joke because it is how we condense the entire concept of the human condition into a universal medium of which all humans can understand, and all conflicts can be solved by simple understanding.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is interesting, and totally reminds me of a recent session I had at a friends house. We were playing various music from his hard drive he showed me this album I cannot remember the name or the artist BUT it was a official released album. There were a number of songs on it they all recreated the sensation of being "stoned" "hallucinating" and "speeding". It was more of a novelty thing than anything but my point is this. The songs were created with a mixture of tones hums and soundwaves that counteract with your brain and stimulate a persons mood and behavior. Because sound is vibration and essentially waves I come to believe anything has a wave structure including you and I. Music controls our disposition perhaps because it is the universal language.

new topics

top topics

join