It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

" Lost world of fanged frogs and giant rats discovered in Papua New Guinea"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The Link

A team of scientists from Britain, the United States and Papua New Guinea found more than 40 previously unidentified species when they climbed into the kilometre-deep crater of Mount Bosavi and explored a pristine jungle habitat teeming with life that has evolved in isolation since the volcano last erupted 200,000 years ago. In a remarkably rich haul from just five weeks of exploration, the biologists discovered 16 frogs which have never before been recorded by science, at least three new fish, a new bat and a giant rat, which may turn out to be the biggest in the world.

Man just one more reason to go to Papua New Guinea! A very cool story. I am always amazed that even today, humans still have left a few rocks un-turned and that there are still discoveries such as this to be made.

A cool movie on Papua New Guinea is, well at least parts of, the 'Ring of Fire' documentaries.

Anyway, enjoy.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Wow, a "Lost World" of sorts. This really adds some credence to the possibility of certain isolated locations still having living dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in my opinion. This discovery also shows how much major discoveries we have yet to make, there is still A LOT of stuff unknown. Thanks for posting this.

[edit on 9/7/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Lost world for sure! It is really amazing to think how the landforms (volcano / mountain) was able to isolate this area for 200,000 years giving the beings there this time to evolve distinctly separate from the surrounding environment.

I think there is a term for this, island biogeography is coming to mind but I don't that that is it.

Regardless, a fascinating story.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Animal]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I guess the Earth isn't so fragile after all?

Hopefully we can exploit these new discoveries. Who knows what medical advances can be obtained from new species?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I guess the Earth isn't so fragile after all?

What about this article made you come to that conclusion?

Also, in what way?

Thanks for sharing.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Animal]

top topics

join