It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charity: US troops stormed through Afghan hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Charity: US troops stormed through Afghan hospital

www.google.com

The U.S. troops came to the hospital looking for Taliban insurgents late at night last Wednesday, Fange said. He said they kicked in doors, tied up four hospital employees and two family members of patients, and forced patients out of beds during their search
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.monstersandcritics.com
www.allheadlinenews.com
www.dailymail.co.uk

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
so i find this to be interesting because its the swedes who are saying this... im not really surprised at it tho. as americans were suppose to be above this kinda stuff but i suppose not. more bad press for the americans. and my old unit too (10th mountain)

also the first indepndent investigation of the fuel truck bombing has come out with figures.. "Dozens of Afghan civilians died in last week's NATO air strike on Taliban insurgents in northern Afghanistan, a prominent domestic rights group said on Monday in a first independent estimate of the death toll."

a District governor in northern Afghanistan said Monday that more than 130 people were killed in a NATO airstrike. 'According to interviews that we did with local people and tribal elders, 107 people were killed in Omerkhel and Gul Bagh villages of the province,' Abdul Wahid Omarkhel, the Chardarah district governor, told the German Press Agency dpa.

He said 15 other people, who had come from neighbouring Baghlan province, were also killed in the blast. More than a dozen people were also killed from the Ali Abad district, according to information Omarkhel said he had received from that district.

He could not say how many of the victims were civilians, but said several children aged 10 to 16 were among those killed.

The district governor said authorities also had compiled a list of 27 people wounded in the airstrike.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

So just how would you handle finding the enemy? Knock politely on the door and ask reverently if any Taliban where in the area?? If you want a sanitary, polite war, I suggest you go and take care of it! I'm sure you will make out much better!
Zindo

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Excellent attitude.
It's the same attitude that made Iraq such a raving success. USA ftw!

At least have the decency not to voice such attitudes publicly. The enemy is not on your soil. You're not on your soil. You must respect the nationals. If you're on a humanitarian mission to help them, be sure you're helping *them*. You aren't being any better to them than the Taliban is.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Excellent attitude.
It's the same attitude that made Iraq such a raving success. USA ftw!

At least have the decency not to voice such attitudes publicly. The enemy is not on your soil. You're not on your soil. You must respect the nationals. If you're on a humanitarian mission to help them, be sure you're helping *them*. You aren't being any better to them than the Taliban is.

I think your missing the 'point.' You see, the U.S. is a 'Superpower' it's a lot like Superman...we are bulletproof and crap like laws and rules, common sense and even a little decency just roll right off of us.They don't hurt us a bit. Oh, Geneva Convention? Nah, that doesn't apply to us. You see, we're a 'Superpower.' (cue patriotic music)
The U.S. can do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, to whomever it wants. We are the bully of the world and we're not going to stop until someone bloodies our nose. Yay America!!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Everyone seemed to miss what what said in the article.

When they left two hours later, the unit ordered hospital staff to inform coalition forces if any wounded militants were admitted, and the military would decide if they could be treated, Fange said. The staff refused, he said. "That would put our staff at risk and make the hospital a target.

The Geneva convention has a lot to do with it...

[edit on 7-9-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Do you understand that acting as you suggest to the people you are trying to oppress is going to do nothing but engender more hatred towards you?

The Americans strengthen their foe by simply being themselves, it seems.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
it's getting worse and worse and worse

if you check the link in my signature you'll see how commonplace this is
it's almost daily

[edit on 7-9-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Winning more hearts and minds everyday.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
What I would like to know is if they found any militants? No US unit would go through a hospital without absolute confirmation a militants inside and even then it would have to be a must go in situation. This is the type of situation where a commander could lose their command so I wonder what the other side of the story is.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

My guess is there was a engagement nearby and they probably knew they wounded some Taliban. Figured they'd take them to the nearest hospital. Which they probably did...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
So just how would you handle finding the enemy?

You DO understand that we are not at war with Afghanistan and its people, don't you?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It's good to see an American serviceman who also has qualms about some of the things the United States does. When we lose our conscience we lose everything.

I don't see, though, how a country can fight a war without some innocent people coming into harm's way from time to time. Collateral damage is no less horrifying because of that, of course, but what war has ever been pretty or tidy? It's horrible by its very nature.

Still, if there are ways of reducing civilian casualties we should employ them.

But the question isn't really how can we fight without doing damage to the innocent, but whether we should be fighting at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Then what in hell do you call all that fighting going on? A damned garden party?
Like I said, if you want a sterile war and, by god we are at war whether you think so or not, you go stand in the way and see what those fine folks in Afghanistan do to you! You try to figure out who's friend and who's the next suicide murderer walking down the street. Then come preach to me about how this should be handled. Until then I suggest you worry about the guys and gals putting their arse on the line so you can sit here and arm chair General the conflict!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDooneby god we are at war whether you think so or not,

So... who are we at war with?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand the point of tying up hospital employees.
Last time I checked, most insurgents choose to not dress as hospital staff... but hey, maybe that's just my own assumption!

top topics

join