It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

120 MPG. Getting around in tough times.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I want one if those motors to put on a recumbent 3 wheeler.

With this three wheel recumbent you could put it behind the seat with a 5 gal tank and a wind faring i could go from where i live to Reno NV on 5 gals(600 miles)
www.bikecyclingreviews.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Just in case anyone else interested may be wanting to compare or see other options.

Other options and reviews

I am looking at the Black Stallion kit.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It would make for an interesting project for sure. How much of this is actually drive train components for many scooters anyway? An old worn out scooter might than be given new life.

I'm curious about the weight limits, torque and horsepower. Some people might be too heavy for these motors.

How about using this for making a generator as well
A converted electric car could use it as a slave to some degree also.

It could be used for some several interesting projects. The prolem is probably the quality/durability of this drive train.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Thanks Mr Wupy,

I have not seen one of these set ups since I was a kid in France years ago.

I think in the early days of mopeds Honda or someone else had a set up like this which used a small motor driving a friction stone on the front wheel. Many of the set ups in France were similar and used a friction stone on the rubber of the front wheel.

This is actually a much better set up using the bicycle chain to move the bicycle. I can see that this set up needs a stout framed and wheeled bicycle. I would not be suitable for a frail ten speed. It appears to be rather fast for a set up like this as well.

I have been riding mopeds and scooters to and fro work for many years now...both two cycle and four cycle. They get pretty good gas milage and I also have two cars and a truck. I keep my vehicles mostly filled and for the weekends or big load trips.
In two wheeled transport I need a set up which will allow me to carry larger loads than a bicycle. I have mounted a double wide milk basket or crate on the back of all my mopeds and scooters. It carrys my locking devices as well as my daily BOB.

Nonetheless..this is a great idea for those with the mechanical skills and motivations to install such. I have bookmarked it for future reference. My thanks to you for bringing this to my attention.

Orangetom

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If you get ahold of one of those old WWII caps & goggles and start riding this around town . . . I want PICS

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote
The bike sounds fun.

But you should probably go ahead and leave off the gay looking bike shorts and multicolor spandex shirts.

Just a thought.

seriously, who says you have to wear the lame bike shorts? Iv never had a problem in regular clothes, jeans and a button up shirt with steel toed boots.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Raverous]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
glad you can balance on a two-wheeler that costs ~$280 more-or-less

myself, i ordered a LSV (low speed vehicle) which is a glorified golf cart...

the jobber is electric, gets 50 mi per full charge, but can only run legally in streets that are maxed at 35mph,

hey its 'green' -> its relatively expensive ---but it comes with a sizeable tax credit (which translates that you basically owe no taxes below $5K
in taxes due)

check out "Low Speed Vehicles" in a search....
i think that maybe next summer, when the Saudis won't be selling the defunct Americans with defunct Dollars any oil for gasoline...

that at 7AM, after my batteries are charged (for pennies) i will cruise the streets while all those 400hp/10,000Lb. cars are queing up for rationed gas

bikes are great for them that can ride & balance--- which ain't me

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

That's tempting. I could of used this awhile ago. Possibly now.

It's a good alternative if one cannot afford a car and needs to commute to work (that is, if it is close by)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join