It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Vs. Other Rubbish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
My question is simple and to the point. First off I am not religious nor do I care for anything to do with religion. Why does another persons beliefs threaten so much of you people on ATS? Why is it so hard to believe that God may exist when you are all so ready to believe almost any other ridiculous theories put forth such NWO...Alien abduction/contact, and anything else. You have faith that these exist but when others have faith that there may be a God..you get all bent out of shape and attempt to ridicule thier beliefs when yours are just as silly. I have seen plenty of threads "debunking" religion and this is why this question is asked. Also what is with the believers trying to challenge Debunkers...you have your belief using faith...we have ours using reason and logic...so why is that not good enough for you. Believe what you want

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Why does another persons beliefs threaten so much of you people on ATS?

You never know about some people, you never know

Also, when I see someone really trying to get someone to believe in god, allah, krishna. I have more respect for them, although more detest but more respect for them, than the person that doesn't.

If I had a book that I believed in 100% with my heart and soul, and it told me to spread the word, and that everyone was going to be in eternal hell and fire... I'd go around trying to stop people from going to this treachurous place, not just sit back and go "aw jolly good day, everyone I met today will burn for eternity in agonizing pain."

I guess for a christian, I couldn't figure out not trying to save someone from a moving bus, but thinking, well I don't want to impose. lol.

I hate em, but have a ton of respect for them, at least practicing what they preach. More then most can say.

I like a good talk/debate/discussion. I mean, it's all healthy, unless I get called satan... guess it's a step up from being called a disinfo agent!

Religion is a dogma, if we can remove the dogma, things will get much cooler!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have no problem with what anyone believes, so long as they keep it to themselves unless asked. That especially applies to children. Its just so disrespectful to teach a child something which its almost impossible for them to grasp the significance of & the teacher themselves cannot know is true.
On another note, here in the UK hardly anyone actually practices a religion. Yet there are a minority of very vocal Christians, some of whom are financed by American organisations, that lobby our politicians. WTF? You can imagine what they lobby about too, eh? Anti-homosexuality, anti-sex education, anti-birth control for teenagers & anti-abortion. Yeah, because that's just what we need in the UK, with the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe, some unnatural abstinance based approach to sex! Yet these freaks have got it into the school curriculum: yes there are condoms bla bla, but abstinance is best. Is it f#! Not unless you want another generation of frustrated angry people like the 1s that came just after mine (AIDS scare).
Then we've got foreign Muslims pumping Wahhabism into our country. We have well established Muslim communities here &, until recently, we were doing a fair job of all getting on ok. Even most of those who practice Islam dont want that hate mongering crap over here. Caliphate my arse!
Oh & lets not forget the Catholic Church, with a rather suspicious interest in youth groups. Not that the others dont do that too, but there dont seem to be as many kiddie fiddlers amongst them.
The Jews seem to pretty much keep quiet, but they have insisted on religious arbitration, which is cool enough, since anyone can set up arbitration in lieu of going to court over civil matters, but having said that, its probably very difficult for someone who is religious to opt out of such a thing & insist on actually going to court.
TBH, I think just about the only religion that hasn't caused some kind of problem over here yet is Hinduism, but that may just be my ignorance! Even Buddhists, WTF? Believe it...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
First off, most of us here do believe in a god, and it is the god. it is the is, it may be us, we cant explain it but it makes us what is. not created us physically. dating back a couple thousand years isn't looking at a real god. the real god is what is. we just dont want to listen to bullsh*t from a few thousand years ago, we want to go further.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
...some unnatural abstinance based approach to sex...

Because ingesting a foreign substance into your body that prevents the release of an egg is completely natural! LOL!

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
The Jews seem to pretty much keep quiet, but they have insisted on religious arbitration, which is cool enough, since anyone can set up arbitration in lieu of going to court over civil matters, but having said that, its probably very difficult for someone who is religious to opt out of such a thing & insist on actually going to court.

The Jews have had these private courts for at least the past couple thousand years. In fact, Paul said that Christians should have this same kind of thing going, too.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Praetorian Guard]

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Praetorian Guard]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Why does another persons beliefs threaten so much of you people on ATS? Why is it so hard to believe that God may exist when you are all so ready to believe almost any other ridiculous theories put forth such NWO...Alien abduction/contact, and anything else.

That's a good question! However, I believe this common attitude can be pinpointed and explained.

With the rise of web 2.0, we see that the "individual's opinion" has become the centre form of media in most people's blogs, forums, questions, answers and other information sharing and opinion asserting acts that we come to know as the "Web 2.0". The individualist's attitude can be often labelled politically (whether they are aware of it or not) as Libertarian; whereas it should be entirely up to the individual to govern their own life and that the individual knows best, hence the mass spreading of opinion from all sorts of individuals across the popular Internet. These individualist ideas are exactly what tear the country apart, create greed and destroy nations, homes, and people, and corrupt corporations to cater to those who are on top.

What people on ATS don't realize is that the individualist attitude that many of us have in an attempt to create a logical, organized, and well put together debatable environment is no different than the individualist, selfish ideologies residing within the very few people we come to love and hate, known as "The Powers That Be" *dun dun dun*

Don't worry, this will tie in yet with your religious question, hang in there. So, what does an individualist attitude look like? Well it goes something like this:
They claim that they have an opinion that is crucial to making life better for themselves and can help others. They claim they can make an argument and rebuttal in a fair, understanding manor so that both parties can come away from the discussion both enlightened. This is a common verbal and emotional tactic to make the individualist look like he/she does actually care about the other persons opinion. Often, the individualist is open to a very liberal ideology, supporting little to no government, personal choices on everything, little intervention by any source or party in anyones life, and little laws and regulations. These very "Liberal" ideas is what will just make things worse.

So, in essence, people on ATS think that religion, or any sort of law and guidance from an "illogical" source with "no proof" seems stupid, and pushes them away because after all, the individualist is the most logical personality in the world because they know whats best for themselves, and if everyone knows whats best for themselves and acts accordingly, we will live in utopia.
A common tactic also utilized by the individualist when it comes to religion is saying that they will welcome religious people as long as they keep their opinion to themselves. The way I see it, this forum is basically for opinion, thus using their logic, it is acceptable to bring religious opinion into any conversation.

On ATS, people hate to think that something external has influence and that something uniform can apply to everyone including them, threatening their individualist state.

Libertarianism is what lots of people here believe, but Libertarianism at it's selfish roots is what those that secretly watch us (supposedly) believe in as well. Individualists cannot unite.

/rant

[edit on 013030p://111 by For(Home)Country]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorian Guard

Because ingesting a foreign substance into your body that prevents the release of an egg is completely natural! LOL!
"LOL!" is it, indeed? You may be familiar with the concept that unprotected sex exposes one to the risk of STDs & other infectious agents such as hepatitis. Thus, if a teenager were following their natural instincts, & not some religion inspired, century out of date pseudo-morality, they would be having sex with a number of different partners in fairly close succession &, in that case, the best birth control & protection would be achieved by CONDOMS!
Perhaps you dont know that girls are getting their periods younger these days than in less wealthy societies? This can cause problems with pain & mood swings, so sometimes the birth control pill is used as a medication to ease such problems. It also regularises the menstrual cycle, which is often erratic for younger girls.
Natural? Do you take headache pills? Yet there Christian nutters would not allow such medical use, on the grounds that the girl might have sex.

The Jews have had these private courts for at least the past couple thousand years. In fact, Paul said that Christians should have this same kind of thing going, too.
What has that got to do with the price of chips? For thousands of years people have thought that women should be obedient to men. Paul thought that was a good idea too. But he was a homophobic, misogynistic idiot &, thankfully, we no longer have to pay attention to him.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
First off, most of us here do believe in a god, and it is the god.

We do? I wasn't aware you were speaking for "most" people on ATS....

I for one, do not.

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Why does another persons beliefs threaten so much of you people on ATS?

I only care about other peoples' beliefs when they infringe upon my life. For an immediate example, a religiously charged politician who trys ban abortion - I didn't elect him/her and I don't share their views and resent the fact that their religious beliefs are in some way, governing how I live my life.

As an extreme example, anyone of a religious faith who wants me dead because I do not believe in their beliefs.

That's pretty much the only (broad) examples of someone else's personal beliefs that would threaten me.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
people can believe whatever they want.
but don't talk to me about god or religion and then try to have rational discussion about adult issues in the real world.
i will have a hard time taking you seriously.
the bible is jack and the beanstalk.

new topics

top topics

join