It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sunday At The Emergency Room(swine incident).

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Damn!

You are darn right that medical care cost in the US is truly outrageous as I have learned yesterday when I received my medical bill from the Ozarks Medical Center. I told the hubby that I was in shock when I saw how much they charged us but I didn't tell him that I almost fainted so much I felt dizzy by looking at the bill over and over hoping that it was a typo and there was an extra 1 in front of the 269.50$!

A stupid accident, long story short, it left me with severely bruised fingers on both hands and some back pains. Looking on how my fingers were taking an alarming shade of purple, the hubby took me to the emergency room.

I was treated nicely, they took 6 x-rays, 3 for each hands and one for my back, was assured that nothing was broken, provided with a set of splints for the MD felt that even tho the x-rays didn't reveal anything significant that the bones in my thumbs were the hardest to look at, so the splints were mostly preventive, wasn't given any medication against the pain beside being told, take some tylenol and we were off on our merry way.

Total cost, a whopping 1269.50$

I can agree that some fees should be paid like the x-ray technician and the MD medical expertise but beyond that, being charged 700$ for 7 x-rays is borderline ludicrous!!!

As I told the hubby, it is one thing to pay for the medical personnel and staff but it is another to pay for their medical equipment! Not to mention that I checked online for the cost of x-ray films and you can get a 100 sheet for the low price of 29$ ?!?

I also checked just for kicks how much 2 round trip air fare from St-Louis to Mexico city would cost, seems that we could leave in less than 24h for the low price of 410$ per seat, get medical treatment and a week under the mexican sun for the same price we were charged for a few x-rays and medical services

Ya betcha it's a conspiracy Sancho!

I am glad you are ok and that you were given the appropriate care for a fair price instead of eye gouging ones that I am staring at right now, not to mention excellent drugs to ease your burns

Frankly, if we have had that kind of money at hand, We would probably be visiting some mayan ruins and having a great time instead of me cussing at how high the price of health care is in the US.

We will pay them, even if payments are some 20$ a month, we will pay those vultures. Heck, next time around, I just might purchase those x-ray films for 29$ and tell them to use those

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Lol, I took my youngest to see Weezer a while back and Tenacious D was the front act. So funny!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by miss_silver

I'm sorry to hear that. I had crushed my fingers in a log splitter a few years back.

hours later after a long wait in the "Minor Emergency Clinic", and I left with basically tylenol with codine, and a $600 bill.

I can totally relate to Your bill, and the extra pain it causes. After today I was in a state of euphoric shock; considering the speed of care, and overall low cost.

My total time in the hospital was an hour, and 10 minutes. Service I tell'ya

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Many years ago at a computer conference, my boss gave a speech. The only part of his speech I remember was 'Do not fry bacon in the nude'. I never forgot that, and frequently remind my husband when he cooks breakfast to remove his bathrobe which has long floppy arms, and to put on a tee-shirt instead. In fact, just yesterday I went and got him a tee-shirt and demanded he take it and give me his bathrobe. I guess I should say that he has shorts on, too. But I am sure if he spilled the hot bacon grease he would still get burned somewhat!

Anyway, take very good care of that burn!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Oh heck, this must be the day for bacon burns.

I don't even eat the stuff, as I consider any meat from pigs as evil, but I will cook it for my husband who loves the stuff.

While leaning across the pan with the bacon in it to reach another pan, the bacon popped and covered my right forearm to just about the wrist. I have a nice set of bubble blisters for several inches.

I moved the pan off the heat and put my arm under cool running water. So while my skin is still intact, I have blisters.

I wont even be going to the Dr., though, because the deductible for my insurance would be well over the amount you paid for your emergency room visit.

Always keep neosporin on hand!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Well Sancho, you left with something that contained codeine which is a heck of a lot stronger for the pain

There is something seriously wrong tho with the current health care system. I could understand the price of that medical visit if it had involved 2 nights or so in a semi-private room with TV and cable but I just cannot stomach coughing up some 700$ for a few x-rays.

Think I will phone them, ask them what type of x-ray film they used, see if I can talk them into accepting a box of film for a lower fee... which of course I am dreaming and I can see a pink elephant outside on the porch but still, you don't know till you try.

On a side note, I suffered a nasty ear infection due to a ruptured ear drum a few month ago and we went to 2 drugstore in hope of finding some antibiotic ear drops like you can find in Canada without a prescription and we were told the same thing, if it is antibiotics ear/eye drops, it is behind the counter and you need a prescription to get those. I ended up asking my mom up in Canada to purchase them and mail them for there was no way we were gonna pay some hundred of dollars to go see a doc and get a prescription for frigging ear drops.

No wonder why so many americans are so high up in debts, those hospital bills literally cost an arm and a leg.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

Yep, I knew better, and won't be doing the same thing again!!!

reply to post by Blanca Rose

Ouch, it's revenge of the swine day!!! Yep, I went past the the blister part, and into skin removal. I couldn't believe what was happening. I guess that would make it a fairly severe burn, and I'll never forget it. I guess the creme they gave me is stuff specifically made in Mexico for moderate to severe burns. It had an alphabet soup of uses. Without it, I'd probably had stuck with aloe vera.

reply to post by miss_silver

Like I said, that was a few years ago when I did that to my hand; I'll bet anymore they'll tell'ya to take tylenol.

What's wrong with the system??? They are thieves. Everyone involved with the medical industry almost. The insurance companies, and especially the drug pushing pharmaceutical companies.

Here, I'm sitting I've looked up what I was given as part of the ER service for 54 bucks.

I've got a specialty topical creme for moderate to severe burns; enough for 10 days.

I've got a another specialty antibiotic derivative; which is used for staff infections, and is directly developed in Mexico to combat MRSA. Of course, not available in the States.

Then the last thing which was provided in the fee was the pain killers. Apparently they are a synthetic morphine based product. Again not available in the States, and let me tell ya' I don't feel any pain.

All of it, and QUICK in, and out ER visit for 54bucks

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thanks for your story Sancho!

Maybe more people will face the fact they are being ripped off royally!

But, by the looks of the way we're throwin' a hissy fit over HC right now,
I guarantee nothing will ever change. Except the increasing prices!

Be glad you don't live in the land of the greed, home of the 'fraid!

You should know somethings wrong when you have to make payments
to see a doctor!

Thanks again for your posts!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just a reminder, this is the salient point of Sancho's post:

The total cost for the doctor, emergency room, and complete medications for 10 days was 754 pesos, or in dollars that comes out to rougly 54 bucks.

Now, go look at their website; each one of their hospitals is as professional as the presentation of the website. They have World renowned Doctors.

So, why is it that I paid 54 bucks for something which should it have happened when I was in the states would have easily run past 1,500 bucks???

Now that's a fricking conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, why is that!?

Does it cost less to keep the lights on at a hospital in Mexico? Do their wounds sting less? Are their doctor's less educated? Are their people less important?

Or is it perhaps that there is a finite amount of money to be tapped there versus the U.S, where doctors, insurance companies, lawyers and big Pharma all surely want their take so the bill will be padded because the pockets are deep?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I know the land of greed, and not so free very well. I spend a great deal of the year up around Your neck of the woods. I gotta say I've been trained, and conditioned to expect being ripped off by medicine, and it was quite the pleasant experience today not being ripped off.

reply to post by kosmicjack

The cost's are interesting to say the least. I saw something today for the first time. In the States from what I remember of Doctors offices, and Hospitals they yank a pair of "sterile" gloves out of an open box...........kinda makes me question the sterility. What I saw today was the doctor right in front of me opened two hermetically sealed clear plastic baggies; a glove in each bag. Beyond a shadow of a doubt I knew those gloves were sterile. Everything else was done in this manner. I had absolute confidence in them. I looked up the antibiotics they gave me a few minutes back. They are specifically designed to kill out staff infections, and purposely geared at killing out MRSA. The drug isn't allowed in the States..........You know where MRSA is killing People left, and right.

Actually I just had a Uncle...so many removed who had a mild stroke, but died 4 weeks later due to being exposed to MRSA while in the hospital. I would have to agree with Your analysis of situation. The average US American is an easy mark; all I can say is, that's sad.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Right on!
Let me know when your up this way, we'll have BLT's!

The wife will cook the bacon so dont worry!

Sorry.....maybe thats not too funny right now.

On a side note when my mom winters in arizona she buys her
drugs in mexico. (no not the illegal kind)
How else can seniors (or any working stiff for that matter) afford them?
How wrong is that?

[edit on 6-9-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

yes, that's what I was making with all that damn bacon. I was making plenty for extra BLT's for a few days.

I just changed the dressings, and I've now got a nice array of blisters, and lesions.

I am so thankful this happened down here out of the States. The degree of medical care here, and costs make just about everything short of emergency medicine useless to me in the States.

Why do anything there with the cost, that isn't absolutely necessary due to emergency time constraints?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Your saying you prefer the medical treatments down there better
than in the states?
Sounds like they are MORE sterile for sure!
Why do you think the emergency care is better here?

Too bad we couldnt arrange a marriage of the best of both worlds for everyone!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
When the skin starts to heal over make sure you keep some of the scabs so you can gross out your children!

Heal fast and well!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Considering the cost, and quality of care here; hands down I would prefer all care here....PERIOD. I don't think I could put into words the difference in care; exactly.

I say emergency care there due to emergency needs while in country... Your in the Idaho area.... Well, most folks up in that neck of the woods use firewood for heat; so do I when there. Now, should I go off, and do an acrobatic freak show trying to impress someone with my "woodsman" skills, then I might need immediate medical attention there.

Just like several years back I was demonstrating to my brother at the end of a long hard day of gathering firewood, just how quickly I could run the log splitter............ Wouldn't You know that 20 tons of pressure will smash finger tips flatter than a piece of paper.....

The example of above is a prime reason for needing Emergency Room care there, but anything else I'd skip.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Ouch!!! I bet that didnt feel good!
Crushing and burning are very bad for a body. (obviously)
You are correct in that a person may be miles from help here.
Then when you finally get to the hospital you realize it probably
hasnt changed in 50 years. (and its the same angry nurse)
I see your point.
Now I'm definately jealous!
I appreciate the replies, I know you are not 100%.
I dont want to bother you but was just wondering your thoughts.
I hope more people realize we could have better here.
If our system was designed to help people first instead of making money
hand over fist, we wouldnt have to travel to get meds, or put up with it
and suffer.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

EEEeewwwaahhh....
I don't think I wanna save any scabs.
I can save a callus from my foot instead.

No I'm not a 100% right now, but with the care I received the wounds aren't bothering me....and it does look nasty.....
kinda like bacon!

It's sad the overall state of affairs which exist in the US. I know another lady who moved here with her dying husband. He had terminal cancer, and in the States he could not get the proper care, or more importantly the pain management necessary to ensure he had a nice final ride out.

He came down here, and the Doctors took everything into consideration. They formulated his care to better the amount of life he had left. The couple I am referring to went back to the States for three weeks, and he couldn't get the care, or pain management; so they turned right around, and he lived down here pain free until the day he died.

There are many stories like this. Every lady here can have C-section instead of natural birth. Unlike the States the C-section is completely paid for by the State, and it is the very expensive bikini cut.......... No disfiguring scars. The only thing the Momma, or parents have to pay for is extended stays in the actual hospital rooms; the first night is paid.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

He came down here, and the Doctors took everything into consideration. They formulated his care to better the amount of life he had left. The couple I am referring to went back to the States for three weeks, and he couldn't get the care, or pain management; so they turned right around, and he lived down here pain free until the day he died.

Another excellent story!
Just goes to show how backwards our entire HC system is.
Why people want it to continue like this is beyond me.

It unconscionable that we live in such a well off country
and dont give a rats behind about our own people.
Of course, like common sense we no longer have compassion here either.
Only a fatal lust for more of everything, always......

Eventually good times always end and empires always fall.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Ooops, double post. Sorry!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Try using Hirudoid everyday to minimize scarring. It's a German cream. I don't know if that's available there, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join