It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sunday At The Emergency Room(swine incident).

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Hi All,

I am a little spacey at the moment; due to some awesome pain killers. The story all begins this morning. I was cooking breakfast; bacon to be exact, and a lot of it. Close to the end of cooking, about 3/4 of the way, I carelessly let the spring loaded tongs slip out of my hand. When this happened a huge amount of the pans boiling grease became airborne, and landed on my belly.

The bacon was important to me at the time as I was craving it; so I continued to cook. My gut was completely red at this point; so I cut open some vitamin E pills to smear on what I thought was just a very painful 1st degree burn. When I did this my fricking skin started pealing off in it's entirety..... Maybe I was in shock? Any ways I went to tell my señorita that I needed something to put on my stomach because I burned it. She looked, and began freaking out; I went back to finishing my now very important bacon. She drove me to the hospital; it's a nice chain throughout Mexico. The name of it is StarMedico. You can look at the main website here: www.starmedica.com...

So, We go to the hospital, and I walk in, and I guess I was in shock because all of the sudden I didn't remember much Spanish as I was apparently telling them I had GAS, not a burn. I couldn't figure out why they were telling me I had gas, and I decided to unbutton my shirt to show them the burn, not gas. Upon seeing my gut the attendants quickly to my surprise spoke English. They got me back into the ER.

I was in the ER for about an hour total. Not one minute alone, and waiting. The doctor who also spoke English was there the whole time. One hour of fixing up the wound. He told me that I was gonna get a prescription for creme, antibiotics, and pain killers. I asked where do I go for them, and he said they were included in the visit.

Longer story short I was all set to leave. I had my "goodie bag" stuff; a cleaned, and bandaged belly. Also, instructions on care, and maintenance. I am not sure, but the pain killers are a morphine base, and strong at that since I don't feel much right now; oh, and have a real cool spinning sensation.

The total cost for the doctor, emergency room, and complete medications for 10 days was 754 pesos, or in dollars that comes out to rougly 54 bucks.

Now, go look at their website; each one of their hospitals is as professional as the presentation of the website. They have World renowned Doctors.

So, why is it that I paid 54 bucks for something which should it have happened when I was in the states would have easily run past 1,500 bucks???

Now that's a fricking conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace,

Sancho

ps. These pain killers are gooooood

Edit: changed name at the very funny advice provided by Antar.... never even crossed my mind, but
I guess it's the truth.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think we can all learn a very good lesson from Sancho's post.

Cooking in the nude is very dangerous!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have scars all over as a result of my cuisine, the worst of which from the "creme brulee incident". Hope you heal quickly and feel better soon, great meds aside.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
bad to hear about ur ingury,great to hear the mexicans are such good and cheap doctors ^_^ they took care and all for you good men.
dont worry with my cooking skills i will be joining u soon

link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

I think we can all learn a very good lesson from Sancho's post.

Cooking in the nude is very dangerous!

Ahem...Speaking of nude, howz ur avatar looking nowdays? Your welcome to come to my place and cook, if that is a pic of you.

link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Er, yep, it's fairly warm here, and clothing much of the time is an after thought.

Thank God I had "swimmies" on; as the Doctor was concerned about my Johnson, but I assured him the burn stopped at my waist line as it did...

I had the thought of the dangerous nature of cooking while not clothed. I did have my bacon, but am rethinking wanting to cook again anytime soon. Desnudo....

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Hey Sancho.
I hope you get well soon!
I think we would rather pay thousands for the same thing here.
Makes us feel all important and special!

And that way the bankruptcy lawyers can make their money also!
I am sure nothing will change here but the price of things!
(which of course will continue to rise completely out of control)

P.S. Try not to enjoy those underpriced meds too much!
They must not be too good if they dont cost hundreds!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well I am glad that it was your belly and not your eyes. You did not mention what the extent of the burn was? be sure and drink LOTS of good water and stay hydrated especially while on morphine.

Take good care of yourself until it heals.

Julie

Edit to say, you could have named this "MY Sunday at the ER" (Swine incident)

[edit on 6-9-2009 by antar]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I am very sorry for you burn, I hope you come out of the whole ordeal fine, cuidate much muchacho, no cocine desnudo mas.

You have to understand that in America is something call Capitalism, where everybody here doesn't do anything if is not money involved to screw the needy and enrich the elites.

Our biggest problem is the private insurance business with the private run and owned hospitals, everybody is to make a buck not to help somebody in need.

Big pharma is also another problem, while they get American tax payer money for developing and testing drugs they come around and screw the tax payer with medications that are to expensive for many unless they are under the corrupted insurance companies.

That is why I will like a health care reform that will force insurance and big pharma to be regulated.

Competition means lower fees.

But in the US our government is run and owned by big corporations, congress are nothing but whores waiting for to cater to the pimps lobbyist.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Dammit, I'm moving to Mexico! As accident prone as I am, it might be wise! Just stepped on a nail about two hours ago. Hope my tetanus shot is up to date.

Anyway... WOW! 54 bucks! It costs that much for the gauze to cover a wound here in the ER!

Hope the bacon was good, and enjoy the spinning! Hope you heal up real nicely and maybe start buying the precooked bacon that you just nuke!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . bacon. . . .mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry 'bout your wound brother. Keep it clean, burns can make for some nasty infections.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Cocinando en el desnudo es muy peligroso! Cocina con cuidado, por favor. Libertad para tus cerditos!

Yo espero que tu sintieras mejor. Mucha suerte a ti.

Answer to Q in OP: The demons want it that way whence the rest falls into place.

(sorry for the bad Espanolish)

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I'm sorry to hear of your bad injury. Hopefully, however, you or one of your loved ones will never have to go to a Mexican doc in a box with leukemia, liver failure, a subcortical tumor, or anything more serious than a grease burn.

Good luck, though.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Sorry about your injury, but I have to agree with mikerussellus.

Mmmmmmmmmmm......bacon........(making Homer Simpson noises).

I'm not concerned about the drugs, but how was the bacon? Was it real bacon, and not that obmination to God called turkey bacon? Was it nice and crispy, with just a bit of fat?

Nothing burps like bacon!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
like my chef told me, "you get burned and you learn."

It's rare that I cook bacon in a pan as I prefer the griddle, but when I do I always keep some kind of a container near the oven top to drain the excess grease...and although it takes a little longer I use medium to medium high heat so that the grease isn't too hot...

hope the bacon was delicious and thanks for the recommendation...when I move back down to san diego I will definitely have to check out one of these facilities when my current health insurance runs out....

enjoy the pain killers!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Get well soon.

Now, Is 54 dollars something the locals can easily afford for a nude bacon burn?

I already know it is something Americans can afford.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Thank You I appreciate that.

reply to post by Stillalive

I would have been alright had I stuck with the non spring loaded tongs, but I was goin' up town with the spring loaded kind.....

reply to post by dodadoom

Thank You, yes,
I'm feeling all important for the money still in my pocket
The meds are amazing as I don't even feel the wound at all now.

reply to post by antar

Thank You Antar. I donno what "degree" the burns are either. No blistering, but the skin, and hair came off; the doctor said it wasn't too bad, but said I needed to keep fresh bandages on it daily for the next 4 days; so as to keep polvo/dust, and dirt out of it.

The liquids are a good idea. The meds are good as I don't feel anything..nada

reply to post by marg6043

I've gotta say I was not happy with going to the ER; as they all cost so much in the states. I was at least expecting to have a $300 bill here, but was floored at 54 bucks.

I gotta say it made me feel very happy that the bill didn't cost more pain.

reply to post by gemineye

Yikes, I bet that hurt. It probably will hurt worse getting the bill from Minor Emergency. I've got to say my first reaction to this was what I would have done in the States; which is just limp it along, and deal with it. I am so glad I went in to the ER here now that I know how little it cost.

reply to post by mikerussellus

mmmmmmmmm.......bacon......mmmmmmmmmmm
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!

Yep, a few days of cleaning, and fresh bandages, and the Doc says I'll be esta bien...

reply to post by EnlightenUp

That was very good "espanole"
I am feeling better already as I'm not feeling too much

reply to post by MMPI2

Hey, thanks for the concern, I appreciate it. Actually regarding the Mexican Doctors, and Hospitals they are getting a following from across the World. They are many times state of the art.

The cancer treatments here are highly regarded as some of the best. Especially for terminal hospice cases. The doctors make house calls for these People, and focus on pain management.

No nagging, or griping they give the patient what is necessary to live near as full a life as they can. Many expats come here specifically for the Cancer care.

link   
54 Bucks ?! What a rip off !

If I had this accident in Belgium, I would not pay a single euro

That`s the beauty about a general healthcare system, instead of a private one.

link   
I can unfortunately relate. About 3 years ago I was cooking steaks on a Char Broil grill with the lid on top and the little hatch in the middle. I was concerned about the coals and my dumb @$$ decided to open the hatch to through more fuel on the fire......BAD mistake! It created a back draft as the top was still on and went straight up my arm. Reflexes were pretty good, however, it did singe only the hairs on my arm.......or so I thought. I immediately took care of business with the grill and then went and put aloe gel on my arm. Another big mistake as I didn't realize that my arm was still "cooking" from the heat, all I did was "seal" in the heat as the aloe formed a tight gel, making the burn worse and deeper into my flesh.

The scar is minimal but I can still see it. The proper thing that I should have done, according to a friend whom is a nurse, was to run cold water over it, stopping it from continuing to "cook" my arm, and then put aloe on it.

I have learned that fire definitely doesn't discriminate, nor should you rely on what you think the best remedy should be in order to save some steaks!

Memory serves that the steaks were wonderfully done, however, the next few weeks I spent with a cut tube sock over my entire arm as I refused to pay an exorbitant amount to have a Dr. do the same in order to protect the wound.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

The bacon was Homer good!!!!!! Those were my thoughts exactly.
it was just right, a little crispy, but not burnt!!!

reply to post by iiinvision

Hey your welcome about the lead on an excellent health care provider. The pain killers are awesome as I don't even feel the wound,

Regarding precautionary cooking, I feel like I was beyond lucky I did a stupid down here, and not in the States; the expense would have been too much.

reply to post by jam321

Yes, I know the bill in the States would have easily run 1,500 bucks, and that is before the meds.

The average Mexican in this area makes around 600 Pesos a week, but they wouldn't have owed what I did because they get health care out of the Petro tax; So I have no clue what they would owed.

However, had they paid what I did then it would have cost about a week, and a half's wages.................Where as the cost in the States would have cost an entire month's worth of wages to the average American.

So, I think the answer is absolutely affordable. My neighbor just had her second baby, and it was the second bikini line C-section.....all paid for by the state......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join