It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HiRISE Mars Photographs Sept 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
These photos are from the batch from the orbiter currently making it's way around Mars.

Some very stunning photographs

It is funny a news story from CNN called them "alien" landscapes and craters. Just thought the language was a bit odd.

Here's the link to the news story:

Cnn

And to the photos on the HiRISE website:

HiRISE

Hope you all enjoy

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
good stuff. It's really interesting to see all the contrasting color and textures. It reminded me of browsing some texture filters in Photoshop :-)

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I am sure they did alot of that before sending these out to the public.

You know it's NASA after all haha.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Sweet..!

I'm going-in! If you don't see another post in 24 hrs. send it the search party!!

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Call me crazy, but after some photoshop work(inverted the colors/added color to image) how is this not a pond/lake?

Original

Photoshop

If somebody can post direct links I'd appreciate it

[edit on 6-9-2009 by White2098]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by White2098

I mean photoshop can do wonderful things. I've seen enough photos to know that there are no "lakes" of water on the surface, nothing that has been presented to me would contradict that.

However I think what we see are basins of where water use to flow freely and that it doesn't anymore.

The pic does look very realistic however.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Darn! I have been working all day making a post on these pics and site and someone beat me to it. I looked through every single pic to choose the 10 best IMO...Oh well....I guess it took me too long. S&F : )

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Aww I apologize, please feel free to post them here, I would love to see your top ten

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

It only looks like a pond because you inverted the colours and add the colours you wanted.

That area is raised, not sunken, and near the south pole, so even if it was a lake it would be frozen, unless it was a lake of something that only freezes at a very low temperature.

PS: more images for my collection, I have to start downloading these also.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I should have elaborated more. I wasn't trying to imply that it is a lake, but that with a simple addition of color plain ground suddenly looks like it is full of life. It just makes me wonder about the images they release sometimes as beautiful as they may be.

>>It only looks like a pond because you inverted the colours and add the colors you wanted.

I inverted because the image looked like it was already inverted. and I didn't add any colors, I just adjusted the Hue/Sat. of the image to match the color of land on our planet

[edit on 7-9-2009 by White2098]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Sometimes is hard to know what is crater and what is a hill, and in this case those areas sometimes look sunk sometimes look raised, but they are raised (I checked the sunlight's direction
).

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
How about this one, also from the Hirise website itself.

Link to full RGB image of ESP_012729_1830

originating from link

About halfway, at first I thought something like discs or bases almost totally covered..
But having a second look, I think those objects are just being rocks.
I also did see huge amount of enormous shadows, cast by some very high rocks I guess.
They're sometimes larger/longer than the shadow cast by the cliffs.
I try to find a few examples of them.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jsn079

As I am accessing my home computer from work I cannot see the image with all the colours (I see only 256 colours, that way the connection is faster), so I can only comment about those things when I get home, but I can tell you that the link you posted is to a small version of the image, reduced to around 12% of its original size, those images are huge, so the full size version will show better all those features.

Edit: now that I am back at home, here is what one of those features in the middle of the photo looks at 100% zoom (you have to click the image to see if in full size).

[edit on 8/9/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yup, seen it.. I forgot about the hires viewer.. A big whoops..

As soon as I zoomed in on the 'objects', they became
mountains and rocks with snow or ice surrounding them

So, ignore my post then

They we're just above and below the rock you showed.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsn079

Another thing that helps is knowing the size, sometimes what looks like a mountain is just a big rock or vice-versa.

That image I posted, for example, shows an area 190x148 metres, so those features are too small to be mountains.

new topics

top topics

join