It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Groceries & Supplies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I have a book on homemade formulas for all sorts of things. I don't remember the name of it but it may be your book. It reads like it was written by a PhD. I'll look through later to see if it's the same book. If so, I have some questions. LOL.

Also, perhaps you could answer an earlier question asked by one of the posters here about where to obtain certain things. The poster never specified what he was looking for but, surely, some chemical warehouse carries a large variety of things?

I contributed to your worthy thread on cheese-making and have a couple of more additions I'd like to add, if you don't mind. Wasn't sure whether to add them here or there.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Dug through my boxed up books and found the "Formulas" one. Sorry it's not yours. It's called: Two Thousand Formulas, Recipes and Trade Secrets by Harry Bennett, F.A.I.C.

Lots of good recipes for making everything from cement to embalming fluid. There's even info on how to remove tattoos. Never heard of half the chemicals, though. LOL. Unless it's some simple nursing level understanding of chemistry, I leave it alone!

Maybe you'd be willing to share some of your formulas and recipes here for our enrichment? Hint. Hint.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well, I've checked through my remaining books (I gave a lot of them to the library) and what I have left are books that are more on the use of herbals. A walk on the spiritual side, if you will. The only one that would come in handy for this thread is called "Natural Magic" by John Michael Greer.

It gives description, uses, lore and safety issues regarding plants, herbs, minerals, trees and shrubs.

Has a few recipes for food such as solar broiled chicken (what?), bread and a couple on bath washes and salts.

Might come in handy if you find yourself having to forage in the wild.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

Sounds like a good one for the Wild Edibles thread. Would love to have some more recipes there on foraged foods.

Thanks for the heads-up on the book. Will have to check it out.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I didn't read every post but, of the things I read, I never seen ladies stockings "panty hose"
They make great strainers and really good traps, for river critters.
Put a piece of intrails from anything in them, put a heavy rock "item" in each toe, and something else in the waist area.
You then have a good minnow trap, and crawdad trap, the crawdads try to get to the stuff inside, and their pinchers/feet get hung up..
Myself I prefer, freshwater shrimp/lobster/mudbugs "whatever you call-em"
And if you don't like the "nasty vien" in the tail.. put them in a bucket with a small amount of flour or cornmeal, they will eat that, in a few hours and be breaded from the inside out!!
If not, they are great bait for small game, and other fish..
The hosiery make great strainers for natural tea and coffee, and even better medical wraps! And also take the large sediment out of water before boiling it!
Most will fold up into, near nothing, I keep mine in plastic easter eggs left over...

edit to add>>>This thread was a lot of help too
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Good call on the panty hose, DH. They are useful for a lot of things and don't take up much room or add much weight to the BOB.

Hadn't tried catching mud bugs with them before. Usually just reach in and grab them. Poor man's lobster. LOL.

Thanks for alerting me to the other thread. Lots of useful info on essential oils. Looks like an earlier question about immune building "foods" was answered on that thread as well. More herbs than foods but still "edibles".

"Ovaltine-ish":

Powdered malt extract 5 oz.
Powdered milk (preferably skim)-2 oz.
Powdered sugar -3 oz.
Mix thoroughly by shaking and rolling in a dry can or mason jar. Pack in an airtight container.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Curry Powder:

16 oz. coriander seed
1/2 oz. each of cayenne pepper, mace, clove, fennel, celery seed, cardamom
1-1/2 oz. turmeric
1 oz. each of ginger, white pepper
4 oz. slippery elm
Mix together dried spiced, grind finely and pack in airtight container.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
hey anybody know of a natural immune system booster food type, other than vitamin C and echninacea?

Well basically,foods that are high in antioxidants,bioflavanoids and dark leafy greens.

Two of the best are Chlorella and Spirulina.
Chlorella and Spirulina

Healing Food Reference

Consumer Wellness Center

These are the best for health.

Rose-hips
Blueberries
cranberries
Broccoli
Spinach
Brussels sprouts
Lima beans
Peas
Asparagus
Artichokes
Cauliflower
Sweet potatoes
Carrots

[edit on 13-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
All good choices, TUP. Thanks for posting them. Been insanely busy here. Just leave the computer on and run in on breaks to read or post.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I didn't read all the replies, so if I'm repeating something, please forgive me.

Laudry detergent powder:

1c bar soap (laundry soap is best (ex. felsnaptha), but Dove, Dial or whatever you have works fine)
1/2c borax
1/2c washing soda or baking soda

Grate soap bar as fine as possible, I have a food processor that I use, but have done it by hand
. Combine well with borax and washing soda. Use 1/4-1/2c per load if it's a large load, 2tbsp for a small load.

I've used this to wash my son's cloth diapers and it works great. It doesn't leave the residue that other commercial detergents can and rinse clean.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Star and flagged! some very useful information here, will print it off tomorrow and keep it safe for when the shtf! which I believe is only around the corner arrrgh!

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justjoemusic

Thanks. There's a lot of smart, creative and resourceful people on ATS and I love to see everyone come together and pool their knowledge.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Most of my books are in storage until december when we move into the new house. I'll dig it up then and post some recipes.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Also, perhaps you could answer an earlier question asked by one of the posters here about where to obtain certain things. The poster never specified what he was looking for but, surely, some chemical warehouse carries a large variety of things?

There are lots of chemical warehouses or lab supply stores, most have gotten a lot more strict about what they will sell you since 09/11. Prior to that they sold you just about anything. I have a friend who works in a lab so .....

I also find farm supply stores sell a lot of the good stuff as it has other uses. The best way to find chemicals is find what other uses it has, then find a supply store for that other industry/use.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I know what you mean about crazy busy. In the last 3 weeks we have had a new baby, I had to send all of my helpers at work to the field for various things which came up plus I've been covering all the local stuff at work that came up. Plus it's budget time and I hate budgets, plus I leave for 2 weeks on monday for work.

So that said I'll keep this short, I've been reading about how star anise has been used by the chinese to fight flu for centuries. I picked up a large bag on seed pods from a spice supplier I know and have started drinking a cup a day to see how it works.

I purchased a pressure canner earlier this year and finally have had time to try it out. I purchased 2 huge costco cans of kidney beans, and some ground beef and made a huge batch of taco mix then pressure canned it down. It tastes good and it should keep for 2 years.

FIRE LOGS
I tried this out after reading the materials on the side of a "firelog" in a box I friend brought camping this summer.

I take a large 4 gallon pot (aluminium) and into it I add the contents of the shredder from work. Then I add a small amount of water (enought to cover the paper). I then let it sit for 24 hours adding water as the paper absorbs it. After this I heat the mixture on low heat until the paper fibres start to break down and get soft. You want a slushy slurry mixture, it's better to error on the dry side than too wet. dry will fall apart, too wet will mold before drying. Once it is at this stage I add a few cups of saw dust from my wood shop (not necissary and be careful about the species of wood as some produce a toxic smoke). I then pour the mixture into a mold I built and put it into my press for a day to squeeze out the water and let it mostly dry. As water is squeezed out I add more pressure to keep compressing it. What you end up with is an artificial log that burns way longer than just paper and can be taken into those national parks where they ban outside firewood for fear of bugs (and so they can charge big $$ for there wood).

I have a friend who I shared this recipe with who has tried it with compression straps and two meat loaf pans and a coupe of boards. She put holes in the pans for drainage. Fills one with the mixture and then puts the other on top to squeeze out the water. Then she puts a board on either side (top and bottom) and uses the compression straps to squeeze it together. Every few minutes for the first hour she tightens the straps. then as the next few days go by progressively less often. Her logs are less dense and burn faster though.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
along side my Home Healthcare Encylopedia...great for reference anytime
because it does not rely on a Grid or Internet to be utilized....

i have this great Encyclopedia on Country Living (survival on a shoestring)

this is definitely NOT a sales pitch:

... Some of the topics include:
Moving to the country, buying land, sewing a quilt, living self-sufficiently, planning a garden and raising vegetables and herbs, saving seeds, improving soil, raising earthworms, growing mushrooms, wild foraging, growing grasses and grains plus winnowing and grinding grains, making pasta, establishing an orchard, pruning a tree, pressing apple cider, tapping sugar maples, sun-drying fruit, stocking a root cellar, making vinegar, caring for livestock, including feeding, doctoring and butchering, plus breeding rabbits, shearing sheep, milking cows, making cheese, raising chickens, turkeys, guineas and ducks, plucking feathers, cooking a goose, plus resource lists of books, magazines, and mail order suppliers for every subject imaginable.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living. 10th Edition. ISBN: 978-1-57061-553-5. $30.00

it can also be used as 'striking paper' at your outhouse when no longer needed

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Congratulations on the new baby!
Is it your first?

Love the firelogs info. Great stuff! How much does it weigh? How long does it take to make one? Would you be willing to give us a step by step time frame for the process? I know you can make writing paper (recycled) by doing something like this, too.

Chemical warehouses are having to report to government agencies about what they sell to the public, who they sell it to, how much they sold, etc. If little old ladies are getting busted for buying over the counter cold medicine, I sure don't want to deal with chemical companies. Maybe you could get your friend to tell us how to MAKE the chemicals?

Thanks for sharing, exile.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What chemicals are you interested in?

The logs I make are 3" diameter and weight about 5 lbs and are just short of 2' long. I want to build a new mold in a larger diameter. I have access to a 50 ton hydraulic press so I figure I can make larger ones.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
[
Chemical warehouses are having to report to government agencies about what they sell to the public, who they sell it to, how much they sold, etc. If little old ladies are getting busted for buying over the counter cold medicine, I sure don't want to deal with chemical companies.

Funny story I got a visit from the police when I built my new shop a few years ago. There are no windows and it has 3 phase power for all the machinery in it. When the power company hooked up the service they also called the police to tell them what service I got. It seems they are required to report services above a certain size if it seems suspicious. I guess being the first business to build in a brand new industrial park is suspicious. So yes I know what you mean about not wanting to work with those companies.

Also as a side note, when stopped by the friendly officer at a check stop, if he asks what bump gas is Lie. I got SO much heck for telling the truth. Evidently the fact that I have a TDG license and the cylinder says H2S on it is frightening to a cop in a rural area.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
making your own alcohol is not that difficult either,

in a 20litre container mix any type of fruits or even veges to fill about 1/3 of container, add 1-2kg of sugar and about 25g yeast. fill up to 3/4 full with water. Let this mixture brew for up to a week in a warm place.

for a easy still to extract the alcohol,
you could use a old style pressure pot with the wistle removed. this is where the mixture will go.
from the pots lid use a copper tube attached to where the whistle was and allow about 1metre length going to a 2ltre glass bottle with the copper tube going through it's lid, add another length of tube from that lid and going to another bottle with a lid. do this until you have the pot with 3 bottles lined up next to it, each with a tube going from one to the next.

use your stove or fire to heat the pressure pot so the liquid is just on the bubble. the first and second bottles will catch the not so strong and discoloured liquid, that can be reused in the pot. and by the time the liquid goes to the 3rd bottle, it should be clear and very strong to use.
I think about 20litres of mixture will make around 1litre in the 3rd bottle.

safe to drink in small quantities, a nip or two is all you will need.
could be used as substitute for (gas) as well I presume. burns very quickly when lit.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join