It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The smell of -SPACE-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

From the [spacewalks] there really is a distinct smell of space when they come back in," It's like...something I haven't ever smelled before, but I'll never forget it. You know how those things stick with you."

In the past, astronauts have described the smell of space as something akin to gunpowder or ozone.

Is this really what space smells like. Full artical in link below.

FULL NEWS POST

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by texasoutlaw

Guess that space isn't the empty void that everyone thinks it is. I remember reading that the Apollo astronauts also commented on the smell of the moon, which was a similar smell:

"It is really a strong smell," radioed Apollo 16 pilot Charlie Duke. "It has that taste -- to me, [of] gunpowder -- and the smell of gunpowder, too." On the next mission, Apollo 17, Gene Cernan remarked, "smells like someone just fired a carbine in here."
Source.

'Space, the odorous frontier... These are the voyages of the starship Earth...'

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Gunpowder, also called black powder, is a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate..

interesting...

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Better leave your lighter on earth

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience

and thus the question "what caused the big bang" was answered

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Perhaps the smell is not space itself, but rather a result of the effects of space (e.g., solar radiation) on spacesuits. Perhaps the odor is the spacesuit breaking down somewhat.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
While on a space walk the astronauts (their spacesuits, actually) are exposed to unfiltered ultraviolet light, traces of the solar wind, and other radiation which our atmosphere filters for us. It's not too unreasonable to think that this exposure causes some changes in the skin of the spacesuit, resulting in an odor.

The moonwalkers described the odor (and flavor) of moondust as being similar to gunpowder.
www.nasa.gov...

The odor of the spacesuits after an orbital EVA has been described differently.

The best description I can come up with is metallic; a rather pleasant sweet metallic sensation.

spaceflight.nasa.gov...

And it’s a uh, tough — you know, any aroma is tough to describe, but it has a distinct smell, and it’s sort of a burned-out, uh, after-the-fire, the next-morning-in-your-fireplace sort of smell.

physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com...

[edit on 9/6/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
better leave ur farts on earth too. >.>

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I wonder if Earth smells like trash to aliens because of all the garbage surrounding it

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by platipus

OMG! Too funny! I can just here the line for the movie now!

"In space, no one can hear you fart!"

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you Phage...

I knew I heard somewhere about the spacesuits reacting to the solar radiation and giving off an odor.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

It made me think.

I mean, of course I have fantasized touching space, flying in space, seeing space, hearing space (or not), feeling space! But, I think this is the first time I have ever considered "smelling space".

Its weird how such a simple sense can be overlooked...in space.

Anyways, thanks again. And thank you Phage for (as always) adding facts/resources to it all that I find intriguing and educational.

Good read.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Fakey McNamerson

not being anti-earthly but ur probably right.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It would be interesting if they can duplicate the smell for the kids at school. Scratch and sniff ? Spacesuits for men cologne etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

Originally posted by Clairaudience

and thus the question "what caused the big bang" was answered

whahahaha

Raises the question: What dimwit lighted that match??? Someone seemed to have stated "let there be light"...sooooo it must be that someone lighting a match to see a bit better in the perpetual dark..whoei...not so smart after all then...

Guess it went a bit like this: "let there be light" *scritssj* .. .. oooo sh.. BLAMMO!!!

new topics

top topics

join