It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PARA: Alternative Television Meets Alternative Discussions: Fringe and AboveTopSecret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
[pressimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f3220331a59.jpg[/pressimg] In 2008, the television show Fringe debuted on Fox Network and quickly found an audience. Some of Fringe's watchers were undoubtedly new to topics like chemical terrorism, parallel realities, and big corporations funding "pseudo" science, but many of Fringe's immediate audience had been discussing and arguing such matters for years as both believers and skeptics. And while Fringe, brought to us by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, kindly allowed us to follow along with the fictional characters Olivia Dunham (played by Anna Torv), the reluctant Peter Bishop (played by Joshua Jackson), and the beloved mad scientist Dr. Walter Bishop (played by John Noble) the wildly popular message board AboveTopSecret.com forced the same audience to consider the possibility that it is all real.

September 6, 2009
by Jennifer Caress (a.k.a. Alora)

For those with pseudoscience on the mind, and for those who spot a conspiracy everywhere they turn, Fringe is like the next great meal- nutritiously entertaining! Likewise, for those who dare to question, dare to think outside of general boundaries, AboveTopSecret.com gives the brave and the weary a place to discuss, argue, learn and share. The only thing Fringe and AboveTopSecret.com asks of us is that we think and that we dare to ask the question, "what if?"

Episode 1: "Pilot"

For Fringe's pilot episode, simply titled "Pilot", Flight 627 encounters an electric storm during which one passenger looks more nervous than the rest. He injects himself with a syringe, sealing not only his fate but the fate of all aboard the doomed ship. By the time the plane lands, via autopilot, everyone on board is dead, having suffered a gruesome, skin-melting death. Whatever was in the nervous man's syringe was contagious. Very contagious, meaning that everyone on Flight 627 died as science's unwilling lab rats.
How possible is this scenario? Perhaps ask those who were exposed to anthrax in 2001 by opening their mail, or the U.S. soldiers who unknowingly tested Agent Orange for the American government during the Vietnam War. Or perhaps we are all caught in a biological and chemical experiment right now, commonly referred to as "swine flu"? Maybe, just as the fictional passengers of the pilot episode, we won't realize that we are the experiment until it is too late.

Mexican Swine Flu-An Advanced Biowar Event (April 25, 2009)

Is Swine Flu Man-Made? (April 28, 2009)

Episode 10: "Safe"

Perhaps it's just a coincidence that "Safe", where a team of bank robbers steal from the vault by going through the vault's walls, just happens to take place at the Philadelphia Mutual Savings Bank. You know, Philadelphia? As in the Philadelphia Experiment.

For those who may be a little rusty with their conspiracy theories, the Philadelphia Experiment is rumored to be the American government's attempt at teleportation, invisibility, and transporting men through solid objects. Like a bank vault.

The Philadelphia Project; U.S.S. Eldridge and Project Rainbow

The Philadelphia Experiment Research Project

As with the alleged Philadelphia Experiment, the "walking through walls" thing in Fringe's "Safe" didn't exactly work out well for all those involved. As some crewmen of the USS Eldridge reportedly disappeared and then reappeared stuck half in and half out of the ship's hull, so to did one poor banker robber. His death resulted in one more clue for Olivia, Walter, and Peter to pick up as they attempt to find the ultimate truth about who is behind all of these fatal scientific endeavors.

Episode 20: There is more than One of Everything

Just when we were about to get comfortable with Fringe, the season finale makes us sit back up again and question what we have already questioned, doubt what we thought we had figured out, and reexamine the very characters we had grown to love. Our beloved mad scientist, Walter Bishop has been harboring many secrets, secrets that won't be hid from the world any longer. Olivia is shoved down the proverbial rabbit hole and takes us, the viewers, with her. And Peter…well, he just isn't the same man we thought he was.

Olivia's trip down the rabbit hole brings her to the man she has been searching for, William Bell. The biggest surprise of William Bell's appearance isn't that he is played by Leonard Nimoy (though that did make us geek out, admit it), but rather that Olivia is finally introduced to Mr. Bell in the still-standing World Trade Center.

In a parallel universe.

Perhaps that sounds more fiction than nonfiction, but parallel universes have been a widely discussed topic for decades, if not centuries, pondered by the likes of the nah-sayers to the mathematicians, to the meditators and monks.

Parallel Universes do Exist, According to a Mathematical Discovery

NASA Satellite Finds Evidence for Parallel Universe

Thankfully, Fringe returns this fall to Fox so that we may begin the entire journey all over again with Olivia, Peter, and Walter. AboveTopSecret.com continues on everyday, with thousands of people discussing topics generally reserved for the fringe of society, breaking through the taboo and paving the way for what is "pseudo" today to become part of the mainstream tomorrow.

There will always be people who are more comfortable dismissing things like parallel universes as myth, those who feel safe from chemical terrorism if we go to war, and those who refuse to deny ignorance. However, like the characters of Fringe, there will always be those people who can't help but to think "what if", those who see past the headlines, and those who seek out the truth, even if it comes with a price.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's a great show and I've seen every episode so far.

Wouldn't miss their new season and I don't enjoy watching television much at all. If it wasn't for shows like Fringe, I think I'd just use my HD tv as a monitor for surfing the web.

How cool would it be to do an interview with J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

Fringe rocks.

Some of the best writing I've seen on television in a long while.

Would be great to get an interview going with cast and crew here.

Just a thought. . .

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Would be great to get an interview going with cast and crew here.

We tried, and actually came quite close... but the timing didn't work out right now as they've all been busy on season two.

We should have a chance within 3-4 weeks to restart the process, and fully expect to provide our members a chance to submit questions to JJ and/or Alex.

Stay tuned.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think Fringe is too sloppy. I cannot see any agency government or otherwise operating with the sloppy protocols and poor security and loose cannon attitude that I see episode after episode. I see nobody held to any accounting. It is like the script is written by high school students who have never held a real job or had to function in a real life situation. The show should be presented more as a drama and less as a comic book.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
^^ ^^ouch buzzkill....it's a sight better than most of the junk on the major tv stations. and that's including syfy(siffy, what a stupid name change that was) with their 30 dollar saturday night monster movie productions. you're supposed to suspend disbelief with sciencefiction and fantasy genre productions

i love walter, he's so eccentric. exactly how i imagine a mad scientist to be.

i've watched every episode as well ( "turn the channel woman i can't miss walter!) and i'm very excited for the new season. and ZOMG spock is bell i just about had an anuerism at the end of that episode.

can't wait to see what awesome stories they have for the new season.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by optimus primal]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I was just about to ask if anyone had tried contacting them. Great show.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
To be honest, I thought there would be more people here discussing Leonard Nimoy's appearance. But maybe I'm the only nerd still excited about that.

I LOVE this show.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I bought the first season DVD the other day......refreshing and catching the episodes I missed for season 2.

-Dev

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Oh great now you tell me!

Well looks like I will have to follow the links on ATS and purchase the first season.

I LOVE shows like this.

FOX huh?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This show makes the old X-Files look like a kiddie cartoon. If they ever lose Walter off of the show, it would wreck the whole train. That character makes the show worth watching. I would recommend Warehouse 13 as well.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Fringe is great, finnaly something i like to watch gets picked up,

they ruined stargate, jericho, travelers, invasion and so many other great shows.

my brain cools off when watching walter, great writers.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well...

If i Had one question to ask them it would be about the following link....

In an an attempt to not post a one-liner link, i wil briefly explain this link

it is to a page by someone who knew people with similarities in their lives (conspiracies/fringe science -alike) to the tv show and it may be a point o f interest to all those on ats who either like or dislike the show (hence my posting it here)

If anything it may present an interestingdiversion to the 4-6 weks wait untill the next episode airs!

I would have posted this asa new thread, but, after having to re-register on here, for the second time!! (strange eh?) and after several weird unsuccesfull attempts at logging in, and repeated new password requests, that i got but STILL didnt work, I posted it here in an existing thread

anyways, heres the link...enjoy!

secretsun.blogspot.com...

-

Ed

new topics

top topics

join