It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. declares Castro a “World Hero of Solidarity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Latin American Herald Tribune

LA PAZ – The president of the United Nations General Assembly, Rev. Miguel D’Escoto Brockmann, on Saturday declared Bolivian President Evo Morales as “World Hero of Mother Earth” in a ceremony at the presidential palace in this capital

Besides Morales, the former Cuban head of state Fidel Castro has been named “World Hero of Solidarity” and the late ex-president of Tanzania, Julius Nyerere, will be honored as “World Hero of Social Justice.”

Complete with medal and parchment.

I knew the UN was a cesspool of ignorance and corruption.
This really drives it home.

While they are handing out awards for 'Hero of Mother Earth', all sorts of nasty things are going on in the world and they do nothing to help stop it. Hey U.N. ... how about doing something to stop slavery in Africa or how about doing something to stop China from forcing abortions instead of awarding dictators medals?

Volokh Conspiracy Blog
Open Market

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It just shows how useless and pathetic the U.N. is.

Who's next? Is O.J. going to get an award for "Domestic Tranquility"?

Always enjoy your threads FF
S&F

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I knew the UN was a cesspool of ignorance and corruption.
This really drives it home.

While they are handing out awards for 'Hero of Mother Earth', all sorts of nasty things are going on in the world and they do nothing to help stop it. Hey U.N. ... how about doing something to stop slavery in Africa or how about doing something to stop China from forcing abortions instead of awarding dictators medals?

FF, I know you know this but for sake of brevity I'll tell you again.

The UN, as it is currently structured, was done by the Allies at the end of WW2, primarily by the USA. The veto system was put in place so that, basically, the USA could tell other countries what to do, but could never be told what to do themselves.

The US is quite happy to use the UN when it suits them, or slag them off when it doesn't, but the bottom line remains that this is an institution designed by the USA and any faults lay in its inherant design. If you have a problem with the UN, I suggest you get your Government to assist in reforming it, but of course, that isn't int the national interest, is it?

The UN could no more force China to do anything anymore that it can force the US, the UK, France or Russia to do anything. By default, any allies of the aforementioned Big 5 will also be protected from any UN involvement, see Israel for example.

It is useless because that is the way it was designed.

EDIT: Oh, while Castro might fit in the vain of "Dictator", Julius Nyerere and Morales certainly don't. Just because they were on the left, they were elected officials and much loved in their home countries. I don't think it is fair for you to brand them as dictators.

Oh and the UN does do stuff to try and stop suffering and what not around the world. It sends Aid, it send food, it organises peacekeeping missions (which are usually hamstrung by UNSC dictats). Like i said, if you don't like the way it works, look closer to home for the reasons. It isn't some ambiguos body, it is controlled by the UNSC and we all know who sits on that.

[edit on 6/9/09 by stumason]

[edit on 6/9/09 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
You're partially wrong:
The US is a cesspool of ignorance and corruption.

The Nobel Peace Prize has been given to warmongers such as Henry Kissinger and Yitzhak Rabin. The irony of a so called Peace Prize.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Skittle]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Darn the are missing Chavez from Venezuela in their list of world heroes.

I guess now a days any dictator can be call heroes.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I always thought the U.S. should, just get out of the U.N. it has always been full of totalitarian leftists, and authoritarians...

We should GET OUT OF THE U.N. now!! We need to Kick all of these people with their HANDS-OUT, out of NEW YORK.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Gateway]

new topics

join