It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought from the mind of me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I believe in God, as that was how I was raised. My grandfather was a pastor, but my family let me decide what I did and did not believe in. In my many ponderings about who we are and from where we came, I have always favored my own theory, which some may too also believe.

Without going on and on, here it is pretty basic: Why couldn't God have made the world and started evolution? Heck, he may have even tweaked with creatures makeups to make them turn out specific ways (I.e. humans in His image.)

Also, who says that the earth was created in 7 roman calendar days? To God, it may have been 7 days, but here, it could have been millions/billions of years!

To finish this rant, I want to say this: yes I believe in God...a divine creator who made everything we see. If you don't believe or believe in what I do, GOOD FOR YOU! You are entitled to your opinion...just don't try to force your thoughts on me, and I will do the same for you. I may ask how you came to believe in what you do, but I'm just curious about your thought process, just to get another perspective...don't try to pitch your beliefs to me...and I promise I will do the same.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on my theory?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by unknownfrost

just don't try to force your thoughts on me, and I will do the same for you. I may ask how you came to believe in what you do, but I'm just curious about your thought process, just to get another perspective...don't try to pitch your beliefs to me...and I promise I will do the same.

Your thread seems quite genuine...you give believers a good name - how dare you.

Without going on and on, here it is pretty basic: Why couldn't God have made the world and started evolution? Heck, he may have even tweaked with creatures makeups to make them turn out specific ways (I.e. humans in His image.)

So, if I understand you correctly, you're asking why can't the perception of a god and the belief in evolution co-exist..?

They can - it's a symptom of being human...

We truly don't know, so to fill in the blanks we concoct fables that validate our personal beliefs...kinda a sick system, but it's the hand we were dealt.

mmrrag idte!

[edit on 9/5/2009 by happygolucky]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Is the 'God' you believe in a personal god?

Is he/she a 'loving' god?

Is he 'Yahweh'?

Also, who says that the earth was created in 7 roman calendar days?

The bible, and I thought it was six days, resting really doesn't count as doing anything. lol

Your theory is tantamount to what new christians are claiming, that with new evidence, they tweak their view of god, to fit with science, but still hold on to wild and crazy beliefs.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Oh c'mon man.
...and hi, how's it goin.

Science has by definition tweaked it's outlooks on things since it's conception. It amazes me how every single generation of science believes it is correct, only to see it's theories and suppositions buckle under the truth of it's predecessors.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I agree.

I've never seen an issue with both. I say evolution is just the evidence of how he did things. If he is the alpha and omega "then beginning and the end" Then he already knows how things end. He is there now as he is at the beginning.

I love to listen to people who shoe horn themselves into an either/or stance. If he is all powerful and infinite. How are we his creation being very human and finite can possibly understand his will.

I love to hear people who think they know....

[edit on 5-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I've never seen an issue with both. I say evolution is just the evidence of how he did things. If he is the alpha and omega "then beginning and the end" Then he already knows how things end. He is there now as he is at the beginning.

It's seems odd though, would the bible of been phrased different, if we were to look at that.

Instead of saying, in six days, I created light, then the stars, which seems controversial at that!

Would he later on say, I then made animals who I would later on turn into you reading this text. That would definitely make me look at the bible a few times extra.

But he doesn't, if he's not telling you to go and stone people, he's directing tyrannically on how to live your life, and proposing heaven and hell, then ruining jobs life to 'prove a point'.

To heyo!

It's going good man! How's the ankle?

I agree with you science changes it's mind so often you'd think it was a Chick!

But I doubt highly that in the end, if there is an end, science will go aha, there is proof that a man in the heavens is orchestrating and judging peoples masturbation, gay sex, oral sex, food intake, what they watch on tv, how much money they give to him.

A personal god, i'm completely opposed to that idea, it's so illogical.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

again

No I don't see a conflict. I don't limit myself by others opinions of how they think things should be or why.

We are finite human beings trying to put into words and describe an infinite beings thoughts and actions. Do I believe in the stereo typical view of God as most? Probably not. My higher power whom I choose to call God is an all powerful, all loving God. I base my beliefs on my own life experiences and prosses of discovery of his world.

It is not the same god I grew up with. Like anything through life's experiences my views have changed and so has my understanding.

Here's the deal Republican....

You loose credibility on certain topics. Many here know you are a self proclaimed atheist. Well that literally means non believer in any deities. Yet then you create avatars with demonic or evil themes.

If God doesn't exist then neither does the Devil or evil...

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You loose credibility on certain topics. Many here know you are a self proclaimed atheist. Well that literally means non believer in any deities. Yet then you create avatars with demonic or evil themes.

Glad you brought this up, I know at least 75% of ats, has me on their ignore list, or completely hates me, I cared at the beginning, but thought # em. lol.

Can I not have something on my avatar without it meaning that I believe in them. I see people with tinkerbell as avatars, yet I don't assume that they believe tinkerbell exists.
Keanu Reeves has starred in many movies with demons and angels, and religion, but he's an atheist, same with brad pitt. Noone goes around saying how can you be atheist and play in a movie that goes against it!

I think the demonic stuff from a movie constantine, was pretty cool, and provides a neat thought for me.

Also the avatar was created "for" me by a friend on here, I liked it, and accepted it.

Plus... yours looks evil too!

If God doesn't exist then neither does the Devil or evil...

WHAT?!?!

So if god exists, then and only then, the devil and evil can be?

Evil and Good, don't concern themselves with deities, only with perception.

I liked it, up until you said or evil...

If god doesn't exist then neither does the devil.
that's grand

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
People I know have said don't discuse Religion and politic's.
Most of these people would seem afraid and lost?

It would be illogical to assume, that all this happened by accident, this is not a haphazard construction, when you look at how perfect the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

If I wasn't here I wouldn't say this, but Daddy, help me Daddy, I been bad boy.
I guess we all have our own beliefs, it just took me awhile to relize I had one.

Really I am very humble before The Creator, but I'm good boy now.
I hate to be on losing side, so I signed on.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
People I know have said don't discuse Religion and politic's.
Most of these people would seem afraid and lost?

It would be illogical to assume that, that all this happen edby accident, this is not a haphazard construction, when you look at how perfect the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

If I wasn't here I wouldn't say this, but Daddy, help me Daddy, I been bad boy.
I guess we all have our own beliefs, it just took me awhile to relize I had one.

Really I am very humble before The Creator, but I'm good boy now.
I hate to be on losing side, so I signed on.

I assure you, you are not on the losing side.

The biggest winner out of everything is Islam right now.

Noone is saying it happened by pure accident. There are processes.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Glad you brought this up, I know at least 75% of ats, has me on their ignore list, or completely hates me, I cared at the beginning, but thought # em. lol.

Stop labeling yourself - we'll do that for you...

I think the demonic stuff from a movie constantine, was pretty cool, and provides a neat thought for me.

I agree, and seperating it from dogma is quite easy...and fun!

Evil and Good, don't concern themselves with deities, only with perception.

Perception..?! The two are not only representative of their perspective beliefs, they only exist because of these beliefs...perception at the individual level is the goddamn problem.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

But the Bible doesn't say that all animals evolved, it says that God created them all within a few days' time. Also, God is infinitely powerful. He wouldn't need to use evolution to create different kinds of animals.

Also, who says that the earth was created in 7 roman calendar days? To God, it may have been 7 days, but here, it could have been millions/billions of years!

www.answersingenesis.org...

The Bible clearly teaches that God created in six literal, 24-hour days a few thousand years ago.

The Hebrew word for day in Genesis 1 is yom. In the vast majority of its uses in the Old Testament it means a literal day; and where it doesn’t, the context makes this clear.

The context of Genesis 1 clearly shows that the days of creation were literal days.

First, yom is defined the first time it is used in the Bible (Genesis 1:4–5) in its two literal senses: the light portion of the light/dark cycle and the whole light/dark cycle. Second, yom is used with “evening” and “morning.” Everywhere these two words are used in the Old Testament, either together or separately and with or without yom in the context, they always mean a literal evening or morning of a literal day. Third, yom is modified with a number: one day, second day, third day, etc., which everywhere else in the Old Testament indicates literal days. Fourth, yom is defined literally in Genesis 1:14 in relation to the heavenly bodies. When is a day a day?

The genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 make it clear that the creation days happened only about 6,000 years ago.

It is transparent from the genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 (which give very detailed chronological information, unlike the clearly abbreviated genealogy in Matthew 1 and other chronological information in the Bible that the Creation Week took place only about 6,000 years ago.

There are more reasons at that link why Genesis is literal and not figurative.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I believe in God, as that was how I was raised. My grandfather was a pastor, but my family let me decide what I did and did not believe in.

Hi OP

Your first sentence is somewhat of a contradiction- you say you believe in God because that's how you were raised then say your family let you decide what to believe in- that kinda doesnt make sense- what did your family let you decide on? was not believing in God an option?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Actually at the beginning of the Bible, strangely enough, it says God commanded the Earth to bring forth life. That sounds an awful lot like evolution to me and its right there in Genesis.

Now I know as well as you do that the Bible is flawed and many Christians now admit it isn't meant to be taken as a literal account but I see no reason to discount the concept of a higher being or consciousness that is so vast, powerful and beyond our own understanding that we must call it God. I toss out all the ancient notions and perceptions of "God" our ancestors had though, the old religions are outdated, silly, and have led to more pain and ignorance than anything good...

It just seems the more we learn about the Universe the less we know and for every answer we find there are ten more questions raised...

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
The Bible was written by men not God. And like you unknownfrost I attended a traditional church when I was young (Baptist).

I believe in God but I don't take the Bible literally. It's a whole bunch of different books all smacked together into one and they are from different time periods. King James translated the Bible and there is no telling what changes he had made to it.
There are also missing parts to the Bible (I believe the Vatican is holding onto to some they don't want us to see).
But there is some good advice to gained from reading it and parts of it are beautiful I will admit.

Like others here, my beliefs have evolved from a more traditional viewpoint from a lifetime of experience and observations. Notice the word "evolved"?

So do I believe evolution and God can co-exist? Yes, because with God anything is possible.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by elaine]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Yes I would most likley be atheist myself, if I were not here.
I could be a agnostic, but then I would have to not know what I do.

I don't see a problem with anyones belief, if they are Muslim, Hindu, Atheist I don't care if you worship the Satan, I think may of gotten bad rap, but I don't believe in Satan myself.
The problem I do see with Religion is people not getting things right like Muslim's killing Muslin's, that appears kind of stupid.

I'm more like Indian, I just belive in everything, being in the flow,.
More like all around you.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by unknownfrost
I believe in God, as that was how I was raised. My grandfather was a pastor, but my family let me decide what I did and did not believe in. In my many ponderings about who we are and from where we came, I have always favored my own theory, which some may too also believe.

To finish this rant, I want to say this: yes I believe in God...a divine creator who made everything we see. If you don't believe or believe in what I do, GOOD FOR YOU! You are entitled to your opinion...just don't try to force your thoughts on me, and I will do the same for you. I may ask how you came to believe in what you do, but I'm just curious about your thought process, just to get another perspective...don't try to pitch your beliefs to me...and I promise I will do the same.

haha it seems people are starting to debate religion in your thread, when you specifically asked us to give you feed back on your theory. Actually your theory is a stand that the catholic has taken lately to adjust to modern times. Many catholics now accept evolution, but like you, the catholic church believes it was driven by god. In addition, the church now says that a day for god is like 1000 years for us. This is how they explain the scientific evidence that Earth is billion of years old; they say that all that amount of time was like 6 days for god.

check this: www.bible.ca...

and this: en.wikipedia.org...

I know wikipedia is not very reliable, but it is a good place to start. these are sources for my claims by the way.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Actually at the beginning of the Bible, strangely enough, it says God commanded the Earth to bring forth life. That sounds an awful lot like evolution to me and its right there in Genesis.

Which version is this?

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
We are finite human beings trying to put into words and describe an infinite beings thoughts and actions.

Some of us know that we are not finite beings.

Originally posted by unknownfrost

Why couldn't have God evolved? Why refer to God as "He" when gender or a pronoun that represents an individual is not appropriate?

Maybe God was tweaked and we made monotheism in our image.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas
Some of us know that we are not finite beings.

No offense but prove it.

Many believe once we pass we return to the greater whole.
The self becomes one with the whole we cease being individuals and become one.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join