It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Lighbulbs, Does it Take To Change A Lightbulb?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

Originally posted by john124
What about daylight???

Well, if it was daylight, you wouldn't know the bulb needed to be changed

3 would also be my answer, same reason.

Originally posted by eMachine
But really though, why do we still have to change lightbulbs? Shouldn't we have better technology by now?

True story - my parents had a bulb in their house that was there well before I was born. It was still there when I went to visit at age 24. I don't know when it finally blew. But these days it seems you're lucky if you get six months out of a bulb. Seems we're going backwards.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

Ahh try this 107 year old bulb on for size - the answer to this question should entertain the possibility of mystical firestation bulbs, which never need changing!

Centennial Ligh

Im sure thats been posted here before, I've seen it around.. whacko 107 years tho..

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Is a non-working lightbulb still a lightbulb? Most people would say no

I would have to disagree with most people then.

Without going into the numbers, which I would imagine are astronomical, I submit to you that the greater part of all lightbulbs are non-functioning.

If a lightbulb, whether flourescent or incandescent, is working properly, it is still only a matter of time before they ALL become non-functioning. The life-history of lightbulbs is one of factory birth, cocooning in lampshades, etc., and the final emergence of their eternal non-functioning existence (much in the same way as humans evolve).

Therefore it is sound reasoning that a lightbulb can be best described as non-functioning due to their vastly greater numbers.

I rest my case in this matter.

[edit on 6/9/09 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Another possibility.

An infinite number.

Depending on the length of the journey.

If a light bulb half way to infinity blew, you would need infinite light bulbs to illuminate your path.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You need two bulbs.

The first will be the original bulb. The second will be the one it is changed for.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Its a bit of an odd question really.Because we dont have sufficient information about the time and conditions when the bulb is to be changed or the reason why it needs to be changed at that one particular moment all anyone can do is take a guess..

Most people are assuming that they have to change the light because without it they are in darkness. They are assuming that there is no other source of light wherever the bulb is. Most rooms have more than one source of light for this very reason.

A lot of lamps and ceiling hanging lights have more than one bulb to start with so might not require changing right away. I would say that most people would wait until they had daylight to work with unless they really needed that light at the time or they had sufficient light to get the job done right away.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by HERACAT

Hahaha, I like the answer, but the number is wrong

Keep it up folks..

~Keeper

The number is wrong? What kind of nonsense is that? Wrong is not a number!

Here is my answer. I will use a hammer.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The act of changing requires more than one object/idea/quantity, but the amount needed to achieve the change is one more.

It takes only 1 lightbulb to change a lightbulb. Why? Because you asked how many bulbs it takes to CHANGE a lightbulb. In your question you already defined one lightbulb (the one that needs change) and with your wording you asked how many lightbulbs IN ADDITION that it would take to change the one already there (to have change you need 2, but to do the change you only need one). Since one bulb is already there it only takes one bulb to replace it.

You don't need a 2nd or 3rd bulb to see because you can feel for the bulb and socket even if in the dark. You also don't need a 2nd or 3rd bulb because there is already one assumed to be changed (based on the way you asked the question). You asked "how many lightbulbs does it take to change a bulb" (1 to replace the 1 that is already there) not "how many bulbs are needed for the process of changing a bulb" (which is 2 because you'd be asking about the system as a whole rather than just the replacement).

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wow great responses from everybody, thanks alot folks.

I really did enjoy the 0 lightbulbs answer since lighbulbs don't change themselves, we change them.

I guess I could argue that lightbulbs do go through a change from working to non working, but that's another matter.

Funny how a simple question can bring up so very many different view points and possible answers isn't it?

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower
We could go deeper:

A Lightbulb is a Bulb of light, what could we change that to (aside from, obviously, a Bulb of Dark)?

could we change the bulb of light to a bulb of sound?

we could change the lightbulb for a heatbulb.

we could change the lightbulb for a lightsurface

you could make a lightsurface out of lots of lightbulbs...

now we're getting somewhere..

you could say make a light surface from 10 lightbulbs and a sheet of frostyglass...

Then you could change the lightbulb into a lightsurface, and it would take ten bulbs to do it!

how many lightsurfaces would it take to change a lightsurface?

it's getting silly on too many levels now..

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There is no light bulb..

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How many Barack Hussein Obamas does it take to change a lightbulb?

Doesn't matter, he has no idea how to change anything.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
How Many Lighbulbs, Does it Take To Change A Lightbulb?

- None. All you need is energy... in anyway intense enough.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Sator]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If light bulbs could change light bulbs then they can change themselves, so 0.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
What about all the light bulbs the microscopic aliens are using, on all the atoms of the light bulbs and our bodies that they live on?

How do you technically define a "light bulb"? How do you technically define technicality?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hah. I like it!

While you can go on and on about it...I also find two to be most logical.

I will add this into my bag of tricks such as "Spell racecar backwards!"

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
'it' is my cousin's name. When a lightbulb burns out at it's house he comes over and takes one of mine from one of my sockets. So it takes one lightbulb to change a lightbulb.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If the lightbulb were to change then it would no longer be a lightbulb anymore.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Hmmm... Interesting. I say two.

One replacement and the one that goes off in your head when you have the idea to change the light bulb.

That is just what first came to my head.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
it takes TIME to change a lightbulb not more lightbulbs so my answer is 'Time'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join