It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Lighbulbs, Does it Take To Change A Lightbulb?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

Amazing answer, I had never thought of that one.

Thanks for your imput, I may have to change my own answer to the question based on yours.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just 2 if you do it in the daytime

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My answer is 2, I guess...

But really though, why do we still have to change lightbulbs? Shouldn't we have better technology by now? Where is Tesla when you need him?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i dont understand the question, there are many ways to take it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Then by all means Mr Bob, list and answer everyone you can think of.

This is a conversation about how we perceive things, about how people can go about things in totally different ways and have a very different perception of a task at hand.

Even a simple task, like changing a lightbulb.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Over 9000?

OK... OK..

Maybe none?

"Cogito, ergo sum" only can show that I exist, not anything else, and without proof maybe I should assume that no light bulb exists?

I agree with the person who said the question is not well defined, maybe that's the point, but unless it is, I could probably sit here all day typing out silly answers.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
When did they invent self changing light bulbs? I have never heard of a light bulb that could do such a feat as to change its self. So I say it can not be done. They light bulb needs help to change.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Metaphorically speaking:
"A light bulb goes on above my head"
Hey the lights are out. I need to change the bulb.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
You need three lightbulbs.
1. The lightbulb to be replaced

2. The lightbulb to be installed

3. Another bulb that casts light on the socket, or else you will be unable to complete the task, assuming you cant see in the dark.

What about daylight???

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The answer is zero - because it ain't a bright idea!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok I love questions like this! I am usually over analytical sometimes and it really drives me nuts when asked a questions come up. I tend to look at a lot of questions as opened ended with multiple answers depending on what has been given in the question....Yeah I know it sounds weird but it happens quite often and it drives me nuts! As for this question I could give a few different answers but then I would want to explain why and it would take a long time
I sat here thinking of how many and I kept coming up with different answers depending on the situation.
Questions like this are interesting IMO because not everyone looks at things the same way and it fascinates me! Oh I love the mind!

S&F!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Similarly you could ask the question: "Whats the difference between a duck?"

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Taikonaut]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
What about daylight???

Well, if it was daylight, you wouldn't know the bulb needed to be changed

3 would also be my answer, same reason.

Originally posted by eMachine
But really though, why do we still have to change lightbulbs? Shouldn't we have better technology by now?

True story - my parents had a bulb in their house that was there well before I was born. It was still there when I went to visit at age 24. I don't know when it finally blew. But these days it seems you're lucky if you get six months out of a bulb. Seems we're going backwards.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It could take as many as you want...
Maybe you need 100 of them just in case you brake 99.

It is up to the universe.

Another answer I would give it only takes ONE "light bulb" to change a light bulb.
The one that is ON in your head and if you don't have that ON you cannot complete the task. LOL.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I could imagine it takes hundreds considering how many lightbulbs have to be used to light the factory that made the old bulb and the new bulb to replace it. Add to that all the bulbs in the equipment used in other stages such as material extraction and refinement, etc; etc.

Add to that all the bulb required in power generation, manufacture of the material in the dwelling in with you're changing it, the manufacture of the food you consumed to provide your body with the energy to perform the act.

Of course there are the additional lightbulbs that actually may be required to assist in changing it, that is if you are sighted and require lighting assistance and the area is not sufficiently illuminated already. All moot if you use an LED flashlight but then there's the bulb useds in the manufacture of the LED flashlight.

Think of all the connections.

So I update my estimate: could be millions of them.

Really it has to be taken back to the first lightbulb ever. I see no upper bound. It increases with time until lightbulbs are no longer used.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
The answer is - one.
Just leave a light bulb on long enough and it will change itself - from a working light bulb to a non-working light bulb
Now that I've proven myself to be a jackass, I'll crawl back in my hole again
Carry on.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Zero. It does not take any lightbulbs to change a lightbulb. An example of this would be a lightbulb that burns out. The lightbulb went through a change as it burned out, therefore the lightbulb has been changed without the use of any others.

Zero. People change lightbulbs, whereas lightbulbs are inanimate objects and lack the opposable thumbs for the task, so they cannot change lightbulbs at all.

One. If just one light bulb is turned on it will heat up a neighboring lightbulb just a little bit by radiation. Therefore you have changed the broken lightbulb in that its temperature has changed without even having taken it out of the socket.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by truthquest]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Is a non-working lightbulb still a lightbulb? Most people would say no, as they have answered the question above with a 1.

The answer is 2, since you need to replace the broken one with a working one, the task still requires that you interact with two lightbulbs.

so, you'd consider the defective lamp still a lamp?

basically a matter of convention, i guess, although i'll note that statistically speaking, some lamps are defunct from the start, so to account for the phenomenon (or breaking a lamp by accident) you'll have to increase that number by a fraction. ie. to change 1 million lamps, you need 1M and f-ex 4523 new ones.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
none - light bulbs do not change light bulbs - people change light bulbs

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

How many lightbulbs, does it take to change a lightbulb?

There is no light bulb ...

[edit on 5 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

DAMN DAMN DAMN !!!

I was hoping no one said that, and you did !!! Smeg!! there goes my answer..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join