It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Republicans make gains, but still trail Democrats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Despite the drop in President Obama's approval ratings, Republican policies are still not as popular as Democratic policies, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-two percent of people in CNN poll believe Barack Obama's policies will move country in right direction.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Friday morning indicates the GOP has gained some ground in polls in recent months, but Democrats still hold the advantage on key issues such as the economy and health care.

Fifty-two percent of people questioned say the president's policies will move the country in the right direction. An equal percentage feel the same way about the policies of the Democrats in Congress.

What do Americans think of Republican policies? Forty-three percent say the GOP's policies will move the country in the right direction. Nearly half of those polled said congressional Republicans would move the country in the wrong direction.

But the percentage of people who think Obama will move the country in the right direction has dropped 11 points since May, while congressional Democrats have seen a 5 point dip. Congressional Republicans have seen a 4 point rise over the same period.

Polls in recent weeks have shown Obama's approval rating in the mid-to-low 50s -- a significant drop from early summer, when most polls had his rating at 60 percent or higher.

I know polls don't mean much but I would think that with all the anti Obama effort from the Right Wing ala Rush, Savage, Coulter, Sean H., Reagan, and many others that the polls would be much different.

Is it possible the strategy of personal attacks turns people off and are seen as racist.

The American Demographic has changed and it might behoove the GOP strategist to take that into account. Angry old white men eventually have to come to realize the fact that they are in the minority and just don't have the political or economic clout they once did. No matter how much they want it to be like the 50s, it just isn't!!

[edit on 5-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Originally posted by whaaa

I know polls don't mean much but I would think that with all the anti Obama effort from the Right Wing ala Rush, Savage, Coulter, Sean H., Reagan, and many others that the polls would be much different.

Angry old white men are eventually have to come to realize the fact that they are in the minority and just don't have the political or economic clout they once did. No matter how much they want it to be like the 50s, it just isn't!!

First of all, I don't think Reagan is doing alot of anti-Obama politicin' these days, seeing how he is dead and all.

Secondly, not everyone who has problems with the current administrations actions are "angry old white" republicans. Alot of us are just angry Americans. The fact that you automaticaly assume that people don't like Obama are racists is ignorant.

-E-

[edit on 5-9-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's going to be this way for a while. The youth- and I'm even referring to children who don't even vote- lean towards a liberal, democrat persuasion.

In high school and college polls, the students are overwhelmingly left wing. When I watch children networks like Nickelodeon that host mock elections for the child viewers, the left wing candidates always win the children's votes.

Once they are eligible to vote, those who have been indoctrinated into the left-leaning system will be a vast majority.

The media (including children's channels), schools, and the entertainment is majority liberal so this doesn't' surprise me at all. As much as a nuisance Coulter or Beck may be, it's not really all on their shoulders. If the conservatives ditched the shills and came out right on the money as a shining beacon of integrity, reason, logic, and truth, they'd still be the minority because we are submersing the youth with a liberal ideology.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

If you are under 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart.

If you are over 40 and are still a liberal, you don't have a brain.

Someone famous said something like that once.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

"Two-thirds of all Americans are angry at the way the government in Washington is working, and the Democrats get the brunt of that anger,"

Despite the spin from the original poster and CNN's writer, this statement tells me all I need to know. At best, this poll is a mixed bag for the Democrats. It shows that their popular support is sliding rapidly and while the GOP is struggling to build momentum, in time, that'll likely change if that above quote remains true.

I can also point to other polls of likely voters, not 'adults' such as this one, that show the Democrats in much worse shape. Rasmussen, for instance, has the Dems trailing 43-36 in the generic Congressional vote, a lead they held by about the same margin last year. And also note that Rasmussen pretty much nailed the last two presidential elections, so their methods seem accurate enough.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

First of all, I don't think Reagan is doing alot of anti-Obama politicin' these days, seeing how he is dead and all.

Actually Michael Reagan, the old dead mans step son is still on the radio.

That's who I was refering to; and you call me ignorant. Don't get out much do ya. www.youtube.com...

Who do you listen to M.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

On the other hand, young adults have always been pretty liberal. I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

The thing the Democrats have to worry about, though, is getting them to actually turn out on voting day. It worked in 2008, but were they electing a set of policies or were they electing a man? I think most everyone will say the latter much more than the former, which raises the question: Can the Democrats get the youth vote to turn out to vote for some obscure Congressman in 2010 in the numbers they did in 2008 in order to vote fo Obama?

And realistically, can they keep the youth vote in their column by a 2/3rds margin as in 2008, with a war going south in Afghanistan and all manner of economic problems at home, not the least of which is skyrocketing unemployment for 18-24 year olds? They'll win the youth vote in 2010 and 2012, but at the rates they're alienating elderly voters and independents, I'm not sure they can actually afford much slippage at all with the high school and college crowd.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

The thing the Democrats have to worry about, though, is getting them to actually turn out on voting day. It worked in 2008, but were they electing a set of policies or were they electing a man? I think most everyone will say the latter much more than the former, which raises the question: Can the Democrats get the youth vote to turn out to vote for some obscure Congressman in 2010 in the numbers they did in 2008 in order to vote fo Obama?

Actually I think the question is....

Can the Republicans field a candidate other than an angry old white man that will inspire anyone to vote for them other than the Religious Right and a few hard core conservatives. Palin, cut and run, you bettcha. It's gonna take work.

The last election emphasized that the old swift boat tactics won't work anymore.

It's a new game. Money and charisma are what drives politics now. All the Rush Limbaughs in the world aren't going to be able to stem the tide of liberalism among the thinking youth that see what 8 years of neocon rule brought us.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

On that point, I do not disagree with you whatsoever. The GOP will fail to defeat Obama in 2012 if they drag out someone from the old guard like McCain this past election or as they did with Bob Dole in 1996. They're going to have to find someone young enough to appeal to the youth voters and who cannot be easily tarred with the GOP's mistakes since 2000.

That said, the question isn't whether Obama can get his base to the polls. I think he can and will be difficult to defeat in 2012. Its whether his voters will turn out in 2010 to help some no-name Congressman. I'm doubting it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Then there's the saying:

A conservative is a liberal who just paid for his daughter's orthodontist.

Right now the liberals are still in the majority, but if Obama keeps dithering around and keeps watering down health care reform he's going to lose a lot of the left, too.

Not sure they will go to the Republicans, but Obama's poll numbers will drop even more.

top topics

join