It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan MPs vow to oust US forces

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Tough break for the Japanese, they should have left Hawaii alone and gone straight for the Banksters!

Sneak attack on the Federal Reserve? I like that.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

One has to conclude Japan is wishing to weaken ties with the United States, especially economic and military.

It's deliberate US Govt policy to destroy the US Dollar.

I can't blame any country that wants to back away slowly slowly.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
In most of the countries we pay a high monetary sum for these locations. Ask your country if they would like to have the US stop paying for rent for the bases, especially in a world recession.

I read somewhere that the US was also affected by the recession.

This being the case, should the US should reconsider paying the 'high monetary' sums to rent bases?

Seems like a waste of money if you ask me. Especially when you consider that these bases did not stop 911 and 711. In fact you could argue that UK/US foreign/military policies, such as having a military presence in other countries, increases the risk of attacks on UK/US civilians.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Okinawa and the Ryukyu Islands were given back to Japan in 1972. Between 1945 and 1972 they were however a US administered UN trust territory.

The people in Japan, South Korea, Germany, the Philippines, etc love to do the whole "Yankee go home!" nonsense but at the end of the day when we pull out they realize it was a huge mistake, they lose the income and the unemployment rolls go through the roof. In the 1990s, the Aquino administration asked us to leave Clark AFB and Subic Bay Naval Station so we did ... a few years later they begged us to come back because of the economic benefits the bases provided to the Philippines. Not to mention that we paid the government a handsome annual lease for the bases.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by ChrisF231]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well, it's their country, so their mistake if they wish to.

Frankly I'd rather have that money coming into US communities rather than Japanese, German, Italian, etc...

Let's face it, these countries don't really need our protection, none of them is disarmed and helpless anymore. These bases were arguably necessary during the Cold War, but the Cold War is long over.

Shut them down, and bring our troops back home.

We're going broke anyway, global hegemony is something the American people mostly don't want and certainly can't afford.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
seriously we have yo stay in japan if we don't who is going to be the inept troops that godzilla flattens till jdf arrives with mazer tanks and mecha gojira to save the day.
/

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Misleading headline is misleading.

This story is treating two separate issues as one. The Futenma base relocation to the north (Camp Schwab, I think) and the transfer of other personnel to Guam. Both of these are done deals. The USA is saying they don't want to re-negotiate a done deal.

Think about it: people want Futenma moved to Camp Schwab. Which is still in Japan.

The main reason people hate it is that it's pretty much smack in the middle of a large residential area. Aside from the daily noise and air pollution, there have been a number of crashes of training helicopters. I seem to remember one being on the grounds of a school over the past year.

People have become a little tired of that. So the camp will move north a few miles.

The relocation of certain troops to Guam is the continuation of a process that started a few decades ago - there are about three dozen US sites that have been handed over to the JSDF so far.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
The main reason people hate it is that it's pretty much smack in the middle of a large residential area. Aside from the daily noise and air pollution, there have been a number of crashes of training helicopters. I seem to remember one being on the grounds of a school over the past year.

Actually that residential area grew around the base.
But you're right thanks for your contribution.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

I think you've misconstrued my post.

I never said it was "an illegal force", however, if Japan decised they do not want the bases and passes a law to get rid of them, that makes it an illegal force. Japan is Soveriegn and isn't occupied by the USA, it was, but not anymore. If the hosts ask you to leave, then you don't really have much of a choice, not unless you want to get into some serious diplomatic trouble. It matters not about previous agreements; contracts can be cancelled, treaties broken, what have you. Happens all the time.

As to my comments about foreign troops on US soil, I know they're there, you know they're there, but there are plenty of redneck types on these very boards who would crap kittens if they thought a single foreign troop was on their soil. They'd start crying about the "NWO" and how "UN soldiers are here to take over"... You know the ones I mean

Now, I wasn't offering any criticism whatsoever to the US and its bases around the world. I am well aware of the peceived need and it is the same reason why we have bases around the world too. I was merely pointing out that the US Governments response is moot if Japan tells them to eff-off.

Oh, there is virtually bugger all US forces based in the UK. Only two operational air-bases, at RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall, are in existence. There is virtually no US Army or Navy presence, aside from visits of passing ships or training.

You are not here for "our defence" and never were. The UK was seen as an ideal platform to base strike aircraft in to protect Europe, not the UK, from Soviet aggression. The UK is quite uninvadeable, not without significant cost anyway. Not even the Nazi's at the height of the power even bothered as they knew the risks were too great. The UK was seen as a bloody large Aircraft carrier, not something that needed protecting. We are quite capable of doing that ourselves, thankyou very much.

Japan is not a defenceless country either. I am not sure what gives you that impression. They do not to "rebuild" their military, it is more than adequate for the job today.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

The us does not need that base it can do the same job from elseware

top topics

<< 1   >>

join