It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan MPs vow to oust US forces

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Japan MPs vow to oust US forces

www.presstv.com

Newly elected Japanese legislators from Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) have promised to press for the removal of US military units from the southern island of Okinawa.

All five Okinawa politicians said they were opposed to a deal between the US and Japan regarding the Futenma air base in their region.

The legislators promised to press for the transfer of American air bases outside of Okinawa or overseas.

The lawmakers emphasized that thousands of US Marines and their families should be moved to the US Pacific island territory of Guam.

Washington has said it has no intention to ren
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It is about time the japanese claim their sovereignty back, but what the eff?

" Washington has said it has no intention to renegotiate the Futenma replacement facility plan or Guam relocation. "

Washington now believes Japan is another US state? With this mentality, the japanese hospitality is going to become really sour.

www.presstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-9-2009 by TheOracle]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The U.S. had better realise just how much of their debt Japan holds.

Can you say "financial warfare"?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

It is about time. But I doubt the Marines will want to budge. Japan seems like a good staging point to me.

My brother was almost sent there, and he was pissed about it because Japan is the last place he wants to go. But the Marine Corps changed their mind a week later.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Whether the US wants to renegotiate the basing or not is really a moot point. If another country asks you to remove your military personnel, then you must do so. Anything else is an illegal presence.

I am sure US citizens would be quite miffed at the mere mention of foreign forces on their soil, not leats a refusal to remove them.

(Incidentally, there are significant amount of Foreign troops in the US at all times from Allied nations. But from the mood on here, it would seem many US posters would regard that as an affront to their Soveriegnty)

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well good luck to them. I doubt that they will be succesful however.

Japan has pretty much a US state since 1955 so I don't see the US government/military to just pack up and leave because some Japanese politicians have told them to.

If the Japanese get too persistent and troublesome, the government/military will probably just hit them with HAARP or something to send them a message to get back in line.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not a day too late

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Whether the US wants to renegotiate the basing or not is really a moot point. If another country asks you to remove your military personnel, then you must do so. Anything else is an illegal presence.

I am sure US citizens would be quite miffed at the mere mention of foreign forces on their soil, not leats a refusal to remove them.

(Incidentally, there are significant amount of Foreign troops in the US at all times from Allied nations. But from the mood on here, it would seem many US posters would regard that as an affront to their Soveriegnty)

It is not an illegal presence. Actually, the US has forces in Japan because of a legal protection agreement made at the end of WWII. The protection of Japan is a way of keeping Japan from rebuilding its military and causing another world threat. Same is true for Germany. The agreement that was made with Japan is long term. Trust me, no American citizen likes occupying these countries. We would rather be home at work in our jobs and with our families. Many of the personnel you are talking about are without their families for a year or two in order to keep peace on earth. Would you agree world peace is a good idea?

We don't have a problem with the troops of foreign nations on our soil. In fact, most countries want the training for their troops so that they can better defend their own democracies from outside aggression. Who are we to be selfish and disregard their needs?

Seems to me, if we were to pull out of Japan and leave them defenseless, we would be faulted for setting them up for an invasion by some other country like N. Korea, or we would be faulted for enabling the conservative hawks in Japan to regain their political clout and rebuild their military to "regain their honor."

Let's not be shortsighted here. The US won the war and makes the rules. We make these rules in order to avoid future conflicts, not because we enjoy being staged in these forward operating areas.

I assume by your avatar that you must be from the United Kingdom. It would be out of place for you to criticize our country for any bases. First of all, we are in your country protecting your fellow citizens from future aggressors. In most of the countries we pay a high monetary sum for these locations. Ask your country if they would like to have the US stop paying for rent for the bases, especially in a world recession.

You know, this is a bad time to be pulling out bases. The last great depression was very hard on Germany and Japan due to their being industrialized nations and the world at that time practicing isolationism. Their solution was to reach out and grab more natural resources. Well, guess what: we are in another situation similar to that, and we are not practicing isolationism. We are reaching out to assist all countries to help them make it through this world economic slowdown.

I think you have the US confused with nations that want to take over other nations. We move in to establish/restore the personal freedoms of the citizens, then we move out and let them survive on their own. If they have a history of needing monitoring because they start wars of aggression, we may hang around a bit longer. No big deal. We'd rather be fishing....

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If we pull out of Japan we will not be leaving them "defenseless"

Japan has one of the best navies in the world, and very well-equipped and well-trained land and air forces as well. They don't have any power projection capability, but in defensive terms they are more than a match for any attacker.

It's time we pull out, especially if that's what the Japanese want.

Besides, we'll save a lot of money.

The US military should be in the US, defending the US.

Not in Japan, Colombia, etc...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Great point...

Japan had agreed to these terms a long time ago. This has been brought up numerous times over the past few decades, it's nothing new. A Japanese politician wants to get elected. So they jump on the anti-US band wagon they get elected then reality sets in and we don't hear about it until the next election.

According to some Okinawa is American territory just like the islands the Soviets took belong to Russia now. Okinawa was taken by forces unlike the rest of Japan which was turned over when they surrendered.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Yeah! Obama sure is doing wonders with all our allies!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Not true. The contract governs the transaction.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
yeah.
everyone in the world needs the US to occupy them forever. it's for everyone's benefit that the US makes all the rules, and decides who can have what.
and, for sure, america is in iraq and afghanistan, not because they want to control the oil resources, but because they are protecting themselves from osama bin not wanted by the FBI, and saddam hussiein's stockpiles of WMD.
osama, ....trained asset of the CIA
saddam, ....trained asset of the CIA

world war two people left alive that still want revenge on the US and will attack as soon as the bases are gone, ....NONE.

america leaves it's troops in other countries because it benefits america, not because it benefits the countries that are OCCUPIED. yes, OCCUPIED, as in, america is now the aggressor, just like england, spain , france, , germany, rome, or any other empire in history.

i always hear from the warhawks that losing your borders is just a fact of life, like war. but, then these same people turn around and try and get all righteous about the actions of other countries, like those countries had no rights to their own laws and land. it's all BS. all these wars and shifting land 'ownership' are TOTALLY engineered by the bankers, and they have been for bloody centuries.
it's only now that more than a tiny handful of astute people can actually get outside of the centuries of propaganda, and see the truth behind 'power'.

too bad the ones that are still hypnotized are so mind controlled that they refuse to see past the 'cowboys and indians' mentality.

edit to add, i've lived in japan, and the japanese that do remember the war would NEVER want to repeat it. the hardship they suffered, being an island with limited resources, was not worth the reward. they have been mimicking american culture for decades, and they LOVE it. that means, no more kamakazis, no more sepuku, no more imperial mindset. they are a modern democracy in a global village.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by billybob]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I guess the Emperor should not have signed on that dotted line.

Your nation's soul and future in exchange for your life and your crown!

Get's them every time.

A contract is a contract and good luck getting the Powers that Be to forego one. Kick the U.S. out of Japan and it will be 'labelled' in the Axis of Evil in no time.

Tough break for the Japanese, they should have left Hawaii alone and gone straight for the Banksters!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Not only that but if we were to leave at the present time Okinawa would loose an estimated 60% of their local economy. That's another reality that sets in after the election. If people are griping at 8, 9 , or 10% unemployment then what will they say when they loose 60% in one go....

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Japan has a defensive military. One that I believe that they are looking to expand with the tensions from north korea.

The US might be protecting them, but this point in history, the japanese people are little worry to rebuild another imperial army. The US should respect their wishes, as I believe these people wish to become more soverign.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If this is what Japan wants, let them have it. The war has been over for 60 some years now.

We can let them go.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Not only that but if we were to leave at the present time Okinawa would loose an estimated 60% of their local economy. That's another reality that sets in after the election. If people are griping at 8, 9 , or 10% unemployment then what will they say when they loose 60% in one go....

The natives simply must learn once Rome takes over Rome has taken over. Cruxify a few offenders, cut their daily bread rations, sell some of them off to another farm. They will get the picture.

Hail Caesar!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What the DJP said before the election;

Japan's opposition party says it would refuse to buy American government bonds denominated in US dollars, if elected.

The chief finance spokesman of the Democratic Party of Japan, Masaharu Nakagawa, told the BBC he was worried about the future value of the dollar.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC

Japan’s opposition party, leading in polls ahead of next month’s election, said the nation should consider shifting its $1 trillion of foreign reserves away from the dollar and buying International Monetary Fund bonds.

Bloomberg

Japan opposition cals for U.S troops cut..

KASHIBA, Japan, Feb. 25 (UPI) -- The number of U.S. troops in Japan should be cut with Tokyo assuming more responsibility for its own defense, an opposition leader says.

One has to conclude Japan is wishing to weaken ties with the United States, especially economic and military.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'm split on this. Part of my military career I wanted to stay in japan (though it does not have to be the okinawa base, I think there are others) But I do think that if a country requests that we remove ourselves then we should.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join