It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corp. Media Censors for Bush Regime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
First, they refused to let anti-war groups buy ad time during the Super Bowl. Now this.....

A Viacom division is refusing to run antiwar ads on its outdoor sites

Feb. 13 ��� Getting out the antiwar message has never been easy, but now a peace group has accused one of America���s largest media companies of censorship for its refusal to run a national billboard campaign with the slogan: INSPECTIONS WORK. WAR WON���T.

www.msnbc.com...

Do you Find this Offensive?

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
this is absolutely ridiculous. I just wish i knew what was really going on and why this company is making sucha big deal out of this. And why one day on the news theyw ill tell everyone the war is no big threat and then the next be giving tips for war, and then the next day saying not to worry about it once again. this is completely confusing. And *why* would anyone ban an anti-war message? do they think that war is good?? no matter what its purpose war is still not pleasant. what is wrong with these people??

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 09:30 AM
link   
No big deal.

There are plenty of smaller, regional "Out of Home" billboard companies for this group to work with.

It's not unusual to see such networks reject advertising which they may consider would inflame, incite, or cause outsiders to believe it reflects on the opinion of the media source. Broadcast networks and print media have been doing this for decades. For example, MTV has no problem with comdom ads, but nearly everyone else does.

No conspiracy here.

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
And they say America has freedom of speech. What hypocrites.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
This is what is going on right under your nose, freedoms are being slowly erroded in laws and mandates tagged onto mundane bills that have no relevance to them while you sit back, sip a bud and shout U.S.A! till you're hoarse.
The illusion of democracy is getting more defined. Really aint hard to notice if you just widen the sphere of information you source from to outwith your own borders.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Pacifism and appeasement means death. Inspections mean what? You'll haul off and criticize Hussein for having something out of order? You'll throw a demonstration at him?
Oh, yeah, I forgot. Demonstraions and rallies are only for use to show hatred toward the U.S. Hussein gets a free pass.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 09:36 AM
link   
YOU CAN SAY ANYTHING YOU LIKEas long as alot of people dont hear you.

[Edited on 18-2-2003 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thomas:
That's a straw man argument & you know it. The choices have never been 'immediate war' or 'do nothing'.
It's 'immediate war' VERSUS 'intensified containment & broader inspections backed by military penalty'.
For all the things that WILL go wrong, both directly & as an outcome, what's wrong, in your eyes, with the latter?
Nothing in that can be labeled as pacifistic or appeasing.

The real conspiracy? We are running fullback to Israel's tailback endrun towards being the unopposed Middle East SuperPower ...... a necessary prelude to their own 'manifest destiny' land grab in the region.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Talk about a straw man argument. What land grab is Israel setting up to make? What, maintain its own land? What country is it trying to grab? Syria? Egypt? Come on, throw the dog a bone; work with me!

When do you expect the war to be? Maybe he (Hussein) should be given more time to prepare? More time to comply? Compliance needs no extra time. More time to disperse what he has already made to those who will use it, and to give more time for field commanders to prepare to use the agents against our troops? Have you ever been in MOPP 4 in the summertime? Remember when you trained in it in the desert when the temp was hovering around 100 degrees? Remember how the only way you were able to have it on for the full ten hours was to lifet your mask up to let the sweat pour out before you drowned every so often? In reality you don't have the luxury of lifting your mask up, breaking the seal, to let the sweat drain out. Do you want to put the troops in that situation?

Face facts. If Hussein was not a threat, he'd have complied. He would have had sanctions lifted and he would be making alot more money and gaining alot more conventional power. That isn't what he wants.

I'm weary of this type of discussion. What it boils down to is either we wipe Hussein off the earth, and still possibly be attacked by operatives already here with crap we don't want to have our families breathe in, or sit back and do nothing and then still be attacked. Remember, France and Russia and Germany aren't on their top two hitlist, but we are.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
This is what is going on right under your nose, freedoms are being slowly erroded in laws and mandates tagged onto mundane bills that have no relevance to them while you sit back,

Are you posting to the wrong thread?

The original topic is related to paid media on a network of privately owned billboards who would rather not display material that either concerns them, or they are against.

If someone forced the Viacom to run the ads, I'd be much more concerned. Because that is an erosion of rights.

posted on Feb, 18 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just with the screws applied to date, how do you propose he gets the war machine in motion? Without detection? Or movement in and out of Iraq?
He can't. Argument is futile. Your position does not acknowledge the impossibility of him being able to ramp up or pass off. What I favor only increases those screws.
While in a just & righteous conflict I would have zero qualms about my family going into harms way( before this, I often advised to "shut up - you signed up, do your duty and quit bitching" to a nephew who drew a duty he didn't like), I can't say the same for this when there is an option, a better option, to avoid me and a hell of alot of other Americans losing the youngbloods of our families for an abysmal foreign policey.

join