It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Photo of Marine Sparks Controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

AP Photo of Marine Sparks Controversy

news.aol.com

NEW YORK (Sept. 4) -- The Associated Press is distributing a photo of a Marine fatally wounded in battle, choosing after a period of reflection to make public an image that conveys the grimness of war and the sacrifice of young men and women fighting it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Hi All,

After reading this article I started to think about how sanitized and whitewashed the coverage of war by the media has become.

I remember as a young child the adults watching the evening news in horror as pictures of young American soldiers with legs and arms missing or babyfaced teenage soldiers with their intestines spilled on the ground were part of the coverage of the Vietnam war.

While the images of war are disturbing I think it helps to portray the reallity of war and these graphic images were credited with helping to end the war in Vietnam.

The sanitized coverage we get today makes it easier to eat dinner while watching the evening news but, I think it also makes it easier to forget that young men and women are being killed, disfigured, disabled and dismembered in horribly brutal fashon.

What do you think, is this sanitized news coverage a positive or a negitive?

Do you believe Americans might be more opposed to our current wars if the media were to show the true graphic nature of what is happening to our yong men and woman?

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-9-2009 by deepred]

[edit on 5-9-2009 by deepred]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

I think that people need to be shocked.

War is evil. It only serves those in power, and it is the innocent youth who lose their lives.

War is wrecking our planet and the lives of all who live on it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

I agree.

If the media were to show pictures of your son, daughter, loved one with thier intestines hanging from the trees would you feel violated?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Yes,

I would feel more than violated.

I would never get over that image.

The media is insensitive and is only after a buck.

I didn't actually check out the pic, but if that was the case, that is beyond forgiveness.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

The pics that the article refer to are availlable at the link provided.

I chose not to include them in my OP.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Okay,

I don't think I want to see those pics.

I may do, but I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I think if the parents don't want to show the photo, then it shouldn't be shown. It is such a sad situation when such a handsome young man (even if he wasn't handsome or young it would still be sad!) is laying on the grown blown up. Really unfortunate, despicable, sad, depressing...I don't think there is much more to say about that...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I agree 100% if the parents say no then no it is.

Do you think that the media should show any images of dead or injured soldiers?

Do you think images of a graphic nature would greatly sway the public oppinion of our current wars?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I find this rather disturbing, and no I did not look at the picture. I've seen enough internal organs, my own included to last me a few lifetimes.

I find this disturbing from another angle. This is the same bull-poo media that actually sold the Iraqi war to the World? Shouldn't they be held accountable for every single life lost in that debacle? How come they've turned so righteous not even a year after Bush left office?

Roll the film back a few years and they were all "WMDs", "Sadam", "Chemical Alii", "Al Qaeda", ... today that same war is bad! Seems like someones priorities have changed.

Confused, M.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
come on people, you watch TV, don't you?
So why would you feel " offended " by the sight of a dying marine, because 3000 of his fellow comrades have already fallen.. . AP decided against the family's will, this is true, but how many kids will this picture prevent from joining the military? One, two? in any case, that's already one, or two kids keeping away from this mess you did with Iraq and Afghanistan.
Bring your troops home. They don't deserve to die for those things. AP did the right thing, but not the right way.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Yes, definitely,

People need to stop being so complacent about everything that happens in this world. If people weren't so complacent, maybe we could stop wars, save our young people, and save the planet.

But definitely do not identifiy the person, and definitely do NOT show a face.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MattMulder

Well said, If children and young adults were exposed to the true nature and effects of war they may be able to make more well informed choices.

War is NOT a video game!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

"Shocked" gives the impression of a deliberate action to cause pain. Why would you wish to endorse this sort of mentality? Having now said that, wouldn't the intent better be described as "seeing the truth"? People get their imagery of death from films where it's very neat and quick. Even the recent spate of CSI-type television programs have cleaned it up to mere smudges. Death is never portrayed in its genuine state. We don't even buy our meat from a good old-world butcher anymore because we don't like "the stench of death". Wrap it up in styrofoam and plastic wrap, please and attach a pretty label to cover most of the "product".

Why would the family object in the first place? I do have to wonder. Do they want people to think he died in some "dignified" manner? Perhaps we should imagine that he was sitting down to tea in his dress uniform.

How deeply are we deluded? At what point will we realize that the ship has sailed and we haven't even started packing?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by anybody_out_there

Hi,

I don't know which post of mine you are referring to.

It would help if I knew what you were commenting on.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by anybody_out_there

Also, I have to say that I would not endorse anything which pains people or animals - I am a bleeding heart planet saver.

I could not even read that post about chickens and every time I even went past the title I felt ill.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I have a friend in the military who is just returning from Afghanistan. He even told me outright that everything we see and hear about the war over there is watered down and sanitized. He said that we never hear what really happens over there, except in a few rare occasions. The United States government should have any say in what we can and can't see - that's censorship.

However, I strongly object to the AP publishing these pictures. The family of the deceased clearly expressed that they wished for the photos not to be made public and distributed. The wishes of the Marine's parents should be taken in consideration before anything else the matter IMO. Not only are the parents devastated about losing their son, but now the young man's last moments of life - while disfigured and wounded - are being spread around for all to see.

I understand that they want to document the war in all of its reality, but respect to the parents of soldier should come before reporting a story. It also seems to me that the AP is looking to make some money of these images, which truly disgusts me. A human being just lost his life... This is a tragedy - not a paparazzi-frenzied celebrity scandal. Courtesy, respect, integrity, honor, and professionalism should be shown here...

Out of respect for this deceased American, and his parents, I have not viewed the picture; I do not plan on it either.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Take a nice hard long look....

That is the face of war.
There is no second chance or do overs.
No you won't Respawn.

This is exactly why we should go all out and end this as soon as possible. The quickest way to end this is straight through the southern Territories.

My heart goes out to his Family.
My son came back from Iraq in March. One of my nephews is due to ship out next month to Afghanistan.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hi Slay,

Are you a soldier?

My heart goes out to your nephew.

Let's end War - NOW.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I am happy to hear your son is home and I hope you nephew returns in good shape.

I am unclear of your stand on sanatized war coverage, are you saying we should have access to an uncensored version of the wars?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join