It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to collect personal info from social networks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lepracornman

To be honest, I don't think anyone seriously involved in any kind of movement would be posting on ATS. And the only people with enough means to do anything is doing it for their own profit.
I think ATS is more for the weekend conspiracy theorist. Anything information of any value is either not let to light or taken down quickly.
So the remnants that we get, about what goes on, is just good for rumors and gossip. Along with any dis-info it just makes the people who follow conspiracies look like a bunch of loons.

You have to remember, for anyone to do anything in this world it has to be financially motivated. There are no freedom fighters, because a freedom fighter wont fight without a leader. And a leader wont fight unless he is making a profit from it.

Lots of theories are way too over-analyzed.
Money>Motivation>Action = Brains>Leader>Pawn

Anyone willing to do something really stupid usually isn't capable of formulating any type of plan whatsoever. And if you ever had something that could bring down an institution then you wield power... They offer you something in return, or they push the screws on you. Either by the end you dont even resemble the same person you were, or you take a favor in return and say nothing.

So ATSers...? I dont see why the government could care less about a bunch of people that post about them being reptiles, magic stones, secret nazi space ships, and every other ludicrous theory that has come up here with no proof. This site is good for what it is, non-scientific speculation and day dreaming

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Does this apply to foreign nationals aswell?
I'm British and if the White House get my facebook i don't care because all they will see is a big middle finger and a "F**k you" sign, with all my ATS threads,youtube vids and source material aimed at waking people up.

This is going to get so bad leading to 2012

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
Ptfff I don't care if they steal my stuff, I have never listed any sensitive information on there. Plus I've got nothing to hide.

If people wanna put all sorts of personal info on there and think no one can access it, they're either naive or misinformed, maybe both?

I uploaded the Obama 'Joker' poster to a random photo album. They can take that if they want.

you need to watch this video...

Google Video Link

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Most of the time you can find out who they hang out with, what day they did, and where they are going to be tomorrow just by someone's profile.

It's like we are doing all the detective work for the FBI and CIA ect and they just sit back, keep storing pages and laugh.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'd understand this if they were collecting from "Public Profiles" but making deals with SNs for all profiles is just rediculous.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here's one reason why I would see Facebook as a more 'dangerous' site. Here on ATS, it's the people who've hunted this stuff out, we are the fringe. Most of the time when you talk about something on here you're just preaching to the choir, or arguing with the skeptics.

Out in Facebook land is where the 'normals' hang out, so if you send out messages to friends there, or start groups for protest or similar, then you could well attract people to it who would never have seen it before.

For most people I think it's not really the government they should worry about when thinking of their social networking profiles/pages. It's prospective employers. Many of them search the web for people who apply for jobs. Every political stand, every silly immature joke, anything controversial you ever posted is just one more thing that they may discriminate against you with, in their brain at least if it would be illegal to do it on paper.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beefcake
This is hilarious i mean did anyone actually think they haven't been doing this all along?

Traditionally whenever you hear about something bad the gov't is doing they have usually been doing it for years prior.

Here is a good thread at ATS discussing Facebook and its CIA ties and it's from 2007!
Facebook a CIA Front?

Actually, I think it says a lot.

Why would the White House need to employ a contractor or 3rd party to gather the information that the CIA ostensibly already collects?

1) Because the data that is already gathered cannot be used for the purpose desired.

Or.

2) Because a front is needed to explain how the government got that data to begin with.

Or.

3) The White House can't get at the data since they wore out their welcome with the wholesale persecution of the intelligence community.

And... the sticker; All three are plausible.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
As I've posted previously, facebook creates a database on a different scale that any 'official' government DB can not do....

We populate it, we tag the photos, we state where we go, who we know and what we believe, we tag information on our friends even if they are not on facebook (for those that say they don't have a facebook account - if your in any snaps that your friends have uploaded and tagged then you're on facebook!).... the photo data is the best... heck even my Mac now does face recognition on a consumer scale so I am sure any images uploaded to Facebook and tagged (or any social site) are analysed and stored so it can be matched (perhaps when you're driving down the road, or enter a shop).... It's the digital age and if your on the interweb then you're known (unless you're being real clever and doing multiple IP proxy hops and spoofing)....

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Ah. Time to get off the grid once and for all. No more credit cards, no more posting anything online, multiple email addresses from different (false) physical addresses, keep your money in a Swiss bank..

Sounds like a lot of fun to be had!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
never really understood, why people put so much personal information, for anybody to see freely on the internet anyway. and tbh i think the websites have been monitored pretty much since they were created.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I would say i agree with Mr bob on this one. They have had most everyones info in one data base or another. Thats one of the reasons for income tax.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The White House is proving that they have no intention of spending the time and resources they have to do anything to improve this country.

What hairbrain on that man's staff has decided that social networking sites have information that they may find useful to accomplish some task assigned to them?

Their legacy, not mine.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88

What hairbrain on that man's staff has decided that social networking sites have information that they may find useful to accomplish some task assigned to them?

Sort of begs the question as to what the "task" is that they have adopted.

You don't typically fish for Mullet in the Rocky Mountains now do you?

[edit on 5-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You've got to be joking.

Facebook is an admitted Data Mining network. They straight up tell you in their terms of use agreement that they WILL take any information that you post to their site and sell the data to corporations.

Read the agreements. Your beef should be with Facebook, not the White House just because they choose to use a service that someone provides to them.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I had a "My Space" account but I kinda had this thought a couple of years ago. I figured the Bush government was already doing this. I really had not a lot of info on it but, the old high school people came out of the wood work, sheesh! I also don't get the twitter thing...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkarella

Hey Pinkarella.... how long you had Pink Panther Avatar?

There's only enough room for one Pink Panther....

[edit on 5-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well I have had him tattooed to my back since 1983. On ATS since 1/24/09

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinkarella
Well I have had him tattooed to my back since 1983. On ATS since 1/24/09

Ok, you were here before me.... i changed mine just last week but i never saw yours though... so i'm not a copycat

I think Pink Panther is cool!

You have him Tattood on your back? wow! Must look preety cool too... in Pink?

Can you post a photo at all?

I know it's off topic but there's a coincidence going on here...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lepracornman

Go back and read what I wrote. I never said I was defending the government simply that they were doing something smart for a change.

Do you honestly believe there is a government that does not watch its people? I don't agree that they should do it but if they are going to they might as well do it in an easy way.

Raist

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I know of one instance where a guy I know personally went online and found out his wife had a blog he didn't know about (it was public) and she was tracking her ovulation cycle on line and which nights she slept with him and which nights she slept with her boyfriend. He got mad and divorced her and e-mailed the link to her parents. I always though it was really stupid of her to track that on line in a blog. I assume that facebook and twitter and those sorts of things are the same way. People post something stupid that you shouldn't and then they wonder why it's become public knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join