It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to collect personal info from social networks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

White House to collect personal info from social networks

russiatoday.com

Public watchdogs in America say they've uncovered a secret plan by the White House to harvest personal information from social networking sites like Facebook.

The White House is allegedly planning a 12-month contract with social networking sites. People whose information would be retrieved may not be notified, and there would be no restriction on how the White House uses the information.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

This is a crazy story!

After all the scandals with Bush and his spying, you'd think Obama would know better than to try this, but no, of course not.

I wonder what kind of personal information they want, and how they plan to use it. Could be as simple as building spam lists, but I doubt it, I bet they will be looking for peoples political views.

russiatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
From this page you can get the full 51 page procurement document

www.nlpc.org...

Direct link to PDF:

www.nlpc.org...

Or from an official government site:

www.fbo.gov...

Even on page 2 it starts to get scary:

The contractor shall provide the necessary services to capture, store, extract to
approved formats, and transfer content published by EOP on publicly-accessible web
sites, along with information posted by non-EOP persons on publicly-accessible web
sites where the EOP offices under PRA maintains a presence
, throughout the term of
the contract.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by harpsounds]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is hilarious i mean did anyone actually think they haven't been doing this all along?

Traditionally whenever you hear about something bad the gov't is doing they have usually been doing it for years prior.

Here is a good thread at ATS discussing Facebook and its CIA ties and it's from 2007!
Facebook a CIA Front?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'd like confirmation from another source...though I believe it, but it would lend much more credibility were it on something not from the same new source that said the U.S. was going to collapse this year.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Hi there, in my 3rd part, I gave the link to the actual government website with the document on it,, this isn't just something Russia Today made up.

www.fbo.gov...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Thats an official contractor requisistion. I had seen similar contractor requisitions when I was in BW. Cant say as it surprises me but it still sickens me. We have fallen a long way.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Anyone stupid enough to have an account on these sites that includes personal information of any kind gets what they deserve.

Up next.... all of the fools who are using online back-up of their computer files through an automatic internet based encrypted server network to back up all of their personal computer files. Fast, easy, secure!

Yeah, right.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I wish I could give your post 100 stars, anybody who didn't see this coming must be wearing government issue rose tinted glasses, and those "access your computer anywhere" adverts make me shudder, do people really do that ??

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
" As-if " people who don't use facebook are safe? I don't use facebook, but no doubt there are several ways they profile us anyway. I'm so glad I'm safe here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
basically if you put information out there, you shouldnt expect anything less then having it used in some way

if the myspace and facebook etc fools want privacy then dont put every single thing about your life on the internet, seems only common sense to me

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
What the O is thinking as we speak:
"Personal privacy? On the internet? Liberty and freedom?? While I'm President??? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!"

This type of garbage just pisses me off. Clearly the Obama Administration is power tripping. There is absolutely zero justification in this outright violation of people's privacy.

And, they don't want you or anybody else to know about this. The contractor has to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Neither you or the media are to be informed of what information they are extracting and storing, and what they are doing with the info. It's all in the official document. From the PDF - Page 7, Section 12:

12. EOP Special Contract Requirements
12.1 Restriction Against Disclosure
12.1.2 The Contractor agrees, in the performance of this task order, to keep the information disclosed to the Contractor, or information contained in the source documents furnished by the EOP or otherwise obtained in the course of its employment in the strictest confidence, said information being the sole property of the EOP. The Contractor also agrees not to publish, reproduce or otherwise divulge such information, in whole or in part, in any manner or form, nor authorize or permit others to do so, taking reasonable measures as are necessary to restrict access to the information, while in his or her possession, to those employees who must have the information to perform the work provided herein on a ―need-to-know‖ basis, and agrees to immediately notify the Contracting Officer in writing in the event the Contractor determines, or has reason to suspect, a breach of this requirement. The Contractor is responsible for ensuring all employees involved in the performance of this task order sign a ―Non-Disclosure Agreement‖ (See Attachment 1). The Contractor shall provide an original copy of each signed statement to the Contracting Officer prior to each employee beginning work.

And, they will capture all information at intervals throughout the day. Any information posted, but then deleted, will still be recorded and stored. So, if somebody decides to pirate your status (for those who don't know - you leave your page up without signing off, and then a friend changes your status when you aren't in the room, as a joke), then the government will have permanent records of "John Doe has every STD" or "Jane Doe made out with boss and all her co-workers 5 minutes ago"

There will probably be many potential political careers ruined because of this...
From the PDF - Page 3, Section 5, Part E:

(E) Capture all created content at regular intervals daily, ensuring the retention of any deltas introduced between captures per day(it is preferable, but not necessary, for vendor to capture content that was added to a site and subsequently removed in the interval between captures). Vendor must capture content at least twice a day, and preferably would have a process to initiate a re-crawling of the content on demand.

Disgusting!!!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

I deleted my facebook and my space profiles.For good reason.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I agree with allot of the above, they can get whatever the heck they want, face book, it seems to me aside from identifying directly any fools talking plans of violent action and posting it in their face book messages ROFL, what they want is to compile and profile. They have been doing this for decades other ways, school records, employment records, credit, legal records.

Those things already give quite a detailed description of who you are

I'm not sure it much matters if they go into your face book and just get complete details on you, I mean... so now they know when I pick my nose too...

I would say i do regret a few posts I made all excited about the States rights movement... But if they look at me that closely it would be obvious i'm not planning some insurgency about it... There is no crime in supporting legal actions you agree or disagree with if your not making violent plans or illegal plans in regards to those topics...

so this remains for me... The same issue it was before face book, an issue of privacy rights an issue that as a person we were already on the loosing side of, I'm just saying that I don't think there is anything new here.

I actually don't know that it's a bad thing that they can peek and get any info they want, there are serious freaks out there, what we do need is a clause by which invasion of your privacy can't be used or held against you for anything but capital crimes...

i.e. No one needs the fact that they are a member of normal forwarded to local law enforcement, personal data shouldn't be allowed in ordinary trials like, cheating on a spouse in a divorce case...and those things aren't happening to the best of my knowledge, but they could... and this is what we all really fear, our lives messed up or disrupted over our human bs foibles, mistakes and personal business

I don't think anyone of us gives a hoot... if a guy with a truck load of fertilizer bomb get's identified and stopped because the Federales can access his face book...

I don't think this even hampers the ability to revolt or take back the government if they get out of control, a mass rising of people is like...a force of nature, weather, face book profiles will be of little use if the people of America are truely victimized and feel the need to march...

what the ability to peek does prevent... Is 4 idiots and 2 pick up trucks and a few sniper rifles that decide for themselves one sunny day that the revolution starts that Thursday.

Not very sure... it's a bad thing

What it lacks and what makes it bad is no oversight, no system of checks and stops to prevent abuse

If we were to make a fuss about anything that maybe could get heard and something done about it, it would be some sort of public oversight into the system to avoid abuse... proper litigation a good legal fuss made by the voters stating their legitimate concerns...

I think a BIG part of the problem still lays within public apathy of proper process and involvement... whenever this stuff pisses people off the first comment always is "well if THEY do this... it's be over my dead body" or whatever... and that kind of fuels the fire...

We still have the capacity, to really pull together and get involved and rock the system in the direction we want and to demand the controls we want... most of us are just apathetic to the process, money, money and work time particularly in a bad economy make it difficult for us to mount a legitimate protest and form organizations and push for what we want... lobby back, demand our rights

And I hate to say it, it is in part our own materialistic and consumer nature that holds us back, we accept cable TV, we stay home and talk but nothing much more.

Let's face it... I'm up at 3:30 am and any one who responds to this is up TALKING about it in a forum, but none of us are out setting up Non Profit organizations to defend our privacy...

I have to ask myself if I was different, if WE were different in action as people could anything negative be done to us? IfI was up at 3:300 Am drawing up legitimate plans for a privacy advocacy group every night instead of talking about Conspiracies being part of the process, could I ever be victimized...

The honest answer is no... they get away with it because mostly we are all talk and no action. And Most Action proposed on the Net is ... moronic threats and tough guy nonsense that only lends proof to the Feds that the people are a bunch of violent nut cases ready to fly off the handle and offers justification for these invasive actions.

So if they get away with it, in the end, it is partly at least our own fault for taking the bait, being apolitical, amoral people concerned with comfort not active in any meaningful way in politics.

I'm just saying

You'd think if we really cared,there would be 10 political parties active and credible not 2. But the reality, most people talk allot myself included...
then a rerun of That 70's show comes on and I forget about it until the next thread on the subject in 2 weeks and keep posting on facebook...

And the thing is for all the conspiracies we fear and talk of...

I don't think they ever will be dumb enough to let the bulk of us be uncomfortable enough to get out of our lounge chairs and put down our bongs and mojitos. Keep us comfortable and plugged in and they can get away with anything in the end.

They wont be using face book to harass you for minor nonsense... because as a wise man once said "everyone's a felon" they'd have to arrest everyone lol

This is to shut you up if you don't play by the rules, and really most of us will never have reason to care, even those of us in here mostly... have the tube on or are busy talking trash... Actually attempt to stop them in any way and not be clean as a whistle... well yeah, then they got you.

The only answer is for most of America to genuinely get involved in the political process again, to make it a major part of our lives.

Again sadly 90% of the most passionate political debaters in here or anywhere else, will just log out and go get ice cream or something and never be a part of who actually runs for office... sad but true

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
the CIA and NSA have specially designed supercomputers for this. they scour the web for info about anything they choose on any particular day. the best part is that BlueGene and BlueGene II are not even remotely as fast as the GI comps. They may be the fastest public SC's but they are not the fastest overall.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I saw this coming, honestly, they were already doing this before anyway I assume, what can stop a government from invading privacy? Only the will of the people, people are beautiful, Governments are not.

The master manipulator.

All in interest of the bankers of course, conform to our debts, or else. hahaha, how I despise this poison.

Honestly, I trust in humanity to when they finally realise whats happening to take them out. Isn't it great to love people? I know I love people, Anywho.

Well, to be honest, it seems like they want to monitor the upcoming generation of world leaders more so, keep an eye on them. They already are under a spell of deception, apart from the rogue few.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yeah I heard this on the news.

Really are we surprised? I mean even employers are doing it now. Look at the number of people who lie on resumes. If you want to get a better idea of the people you are hiring or whatever go check out their personal page they put up for everyone to see.

Honestly I would expect the government to be no different and think it funny that anyone would be upset about this. Think about it you are putting this information out there for anyone to read it is the internet. All this talk about controlling the internet and how that would be wrong and then people get mad when the government or employers do something smart for a change.

I am not defending the government I am though going to defend this action as it is simply a smart way to watch people. Well to watch those that are willing to put their life out there for others to see. If you want privacy do not use such things plain and simple. Keep your information to yourself. There is really no need to share your every experience with the entire world.

Even criminals are using this information against people. Recently there was a woman who page (which ever one of them it was) was hacked. Her friends and family were emailed saying she was in Europe and needed some quick cash to get home. A few fell for it and sent money others called her house first.

Really though people if you want to make them at least work for information on you don’t put it out there for the world to see. I’ll keep my information and laugh at the Face Book, MySpace, and whatever else you might call one of those pages. People placing information out there for others in such a way are being foolish.

Raist

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

Whoever doesn't know this is going on must have their heads in the sand!!

I don't put any true information up about me on sites (wel, not private info anyway) and i've never been a member of facebook!

And the Corespondent in Pink needs to get some food inside her....

[edit on 5-9-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Well I would think ATS could be considered a social networking site of sorts. Yes we dont post personal information but they can still track where the user is coming from and I know I post more on here than I do any other site I am a member of....I have a FB(yuck) but I have no personal information on it. I have one picture and everyone on it I know personally. I had to sign up since everyone went to FB from Myspace. I have seriously thought about deleting my accounts. I dont use them much and they are just annoying. I know people on there who post everything about their life and I have told them not to do so. I have even posted thread links to ATS about FB and social sites....Most people just laugh at me but I tried to warn them...
As for the sites where people back up their info there is NO WAY I would ever do that! I have a friend who has one of these accounts and I told her she was insane for having it and she swears its safe...I just told her that's what she thinks....Not a good idea to have one of those accounts...I think those are worse than FB and Myspace, they have your personal information on them!

Star for you!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If CIA wants to find info about you, they will. Facebook only makes it a lot easier, and also provides reliable data on a mass (world) scale.

As for the reliability and quality of the data, it is more than good for the "CIA standard".

It is reasonable to have raw personal info like addresses, phone numbers, names etc. public but I suggest to hide details, as in exactly when you're not home, when you will go to holiday...

I don't have any social networking account but I suppose they are useful in some aspects.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join