It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana 2nd Ammendment tax free weekend spawned by Emergency Declaration?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm a loser newbie and am therefore not permitted to post news worthy events so I may get slapped for this but there is a story here and no one is talking about it. Sorry to the mods. I'll understand any action taken. Please read the below which has already been submitted to "infowars",

I was quite excited to hear that this weekend in the state of Louisiana you could purchase firearms and other hunting type apparel tax free as part of the 1st annual 2nd ammendment tax free weekend.

I needed a new rifle case for my AR-15 anyway so I headed up to the local chain sporting goods store where I was greeted by an attendant at the door with information on all products covered. He asked me if "I was a 2nd amendment kind of guy" To which I relpied "I am very much a 2nd ammendment kind of guy.

I headed home with my new case in hand and it occured to me just what had brought about this "holiday" if you will. Imagine my surprise when I discovered LAC 61:I.4425. It appears that this action was based upon a state declaration of emergency which states verbatim "the secretary hearby finds that imminent peril to the public welfare exists". It does not however go into the source of this imminent peril and why we are being nudged in the direction of asserting our 2nd ammendment rights but I dont think it would take too much imagination to figure that one out.

Read to document yourself and you be the judge.

revenue.louisiana.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Second Amendment Tax-Free Weekend

BATON ROUGE — If you didn't buy a gun or hunting supplies during last month's state-sales-tax-free weekend, you'll have another chance this weekend as Louisiana's inaugural Second Amendment Weekend tax-free holiday rolls around Friday through Sunday.

But it's not just for guns, says Sen. Rob Marionneaux, D-Livonia, author of the measure signed into law by Gov. Bobby Jindal. It covers almost anything you might need for going into the woods or to the duck blind.

Included in the list are handguns, shotguns, rifles and ammunition But it also includes all-terrain vehicles, airboats, pirogues and paddles, decoys, waders, float tubes, archery items, hunting clothing and boots, binoculars, bags, tools, range finders, knives, tree stands, blinds, chairs, optics, holsters and gun cases.

"The Second Amendment Weekend Holiday provides a well-deserved tax break to everyday citizens of Louisiana," Marionneaux said. "It will save families money, boost retailers' sales and help our economy in this worldwide recession where every little bit helps."

During legislative debate, Marionneaux said this weekend was selected because it's before hunting seasons open.

The Legislature also approved a second tax-free weekend for gun purchases in November but Jindal vetoed it.

Rep. Cameron Henry, R-New Orleans, wanted a second tax-free holiday the weekend after Thanksgiving for people who wanted to give guns as Christmas presents, but Jindal said three days is September were enough.

Seems its a tax free weekend for hunters to buy supplies. I see South Carolina has the same thing im not sure how many states are doing it. Some states even have back to school tax holidays on clothing for school kids.

South Carolina

[edit on 4-9-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It all seems fairly up and up until you read the legislation which spawned it.

the public welfare is in imminent danger - go out and buy guns? Huh?

Do we need to hunt because of a failing economy. Are we going to need guns for what is coming? And why does the department of revenue put this forth. If its an economic thing then why eliminate the tax which would produce revenue.

I dont know how it is in other states but this clearly came about in Louisiana from a declaration of Emergency.

revenue.louisiana.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

The emergency they speak of is the procedure they used to put the bill in as a amendment. They were simply late putting it in.

house.louisiana.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I guess its the verbage which is throwing me.

"The secretary hereby finds that imminent peril to the public welfare exists."

that just sounds bad to me.

im⋅mi⋅nent
–adjective
1. likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.

per⋅il
–noun
1. exposure to injury, loss, or destruction; grave risk; jeopardy; danger: They faced the peril of falling rocks.
2. something that causes or may cause injury, loss, or destruction.
–verb (used with object)
3. to expose to danger; imperil; risk.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 4-9-2009 by WWJFKD]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I would say there thinking one of two things. People will starve if they can't go hunting due to the recession. Or due to the recession hunting business are going out of business sort of like cash for clunkers to save the auto industry. I looked for a declaration of emergency for Lousiana and couldn't find one Not even for swine flu.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That I believe is a resonable assessment - still bad. And of course not a peep about why we are having this event in the media. Major hype to be involved in it but no reason given as to why. Thank you for you participation as this thread may cost me my membership here, Keep your head down and your powder dry. bumpy road ahead I am affraid

Here is the document

revenue.louisiana.gov...

[edit on 4-9-2009 by WWJFKD]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Why in the world would this thread endanger your membership here at ATS??

I guess you don't have much trust/faith in our Admins?

Well, I am starring and flagging... because this is a big deal to me, as a 2nd Amendment supporter, and as a concerned American citizen.

EDIT: Nevermind the Star. Why is this in INTRODUCTIONS, instead of a proper category to get the news out??

[edit on 5-9-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I cant post in breaking news because I have not yet attained my 20th posting. It bites I know. please feel free to take the ball and run with it. i think there is a story here but I cant (or at least am not supposed to tell it)

[edit on 5-9-2009 by WWJFKD]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I didn't know about the 20 post "rule". Is that new or something? That seems unfair. I really feel like you have brought up an important topic....

I wonder if you are not allowed to post to General Conspiracy Theories, either?

Well I do thank you for bringing this subject to us at ATS. I have passed it on to a friend, who will most likely post it to a local firearms forum in the morning. News travels fast on the internet!

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Thanks for your help friend. Who knows maybe I will get a pass on this one.

thanks again

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I don't care who marries who. I am not gay, I would not care though if a gay woman marries a gay woman, or gay man marries a gay man. Why should I care?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Umm... thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This thread sure turned funny quick. So much for the seriousness of the topic.

new topics

top topics

join