It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Attempts to Quell Liberal Revolt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Obama Attempts to Quell Liberal Revolt

abcnews

Even as the White House looks for ways to win over moderate Senate Democrats, the president is taking steps to quell the revolt brewing on his left.

My colleague, Teddy Davis, has more:

President Obama spoke by phone Friday afternoon with several liberal lawmakers who are adamant about health reform legislation including what they describe as a "robust public option."

"He asked us very directly what we mean by a 'robust public option.' He asked us to define it. What are the elements?" Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., one of the participants in the call, told ABC News.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have foreseen this coming. In his attempt to woo moderates Obama is in danger of alienating both the right and the left. His legislation may well wind up pleasing no one.

The right has been pretty clear that it will not vote for any kind of legislation the Obama administration proposes, no matter what is in it. Obama's supporters on the left, meanwhile, while many prefer a single-payer plan will settle for a "public option"--government-sponsored insurance plans that will compete with the private insurance companies.

My own opinion is that Obama is in danger of watering down health insurance reform legislation so much it will be expensive without delivering on its main goal -- affordable health care for all. I'm not sure even I will support it in that case.

abcnews
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Sestias]

join