It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are not gonna believe this House Vote.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

this happenend before Aug 3rd. it may or maynot be
on ATS. at least I have not seen it... and dag nabit, where
did I put my Constitution at... they cant do this, but they did~!

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

What the hell happened to our Republic? I want our Democracy and constitutionalism back... I may not be completely in favor of the constitution... and how much power it gives the government but they should at least follow it... and that guy looks like he's breaking all the rules.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Amazing...

This guy needs to go to prison, fast.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
www.youtube.com...

They counted a vote by all those in favor say "aye", all those against say "nay"? How dare they abide by Rules of Order and Parliamentary Procedure that has run our Congress for the past 222 years!

Or was there something else I was missing?

Perhaps you need more commentary stating precisely what you took offense to in the video, and what you feel was Unconstitutional about it.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

The Chair is not subject to question....

The old guy is power tripping

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I can't get the video. Can someone give more info on this?

Please

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The lunatics have escaped and are presently in charge of the asylum.

This makes me very angry.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What was this vote about? where they actually voting? i have to agree with warrenb that murtha was power tripping to say that the speaker may not be questioned. The whole scene reminded me of the british house of lords.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

well, what the hell kind of crap was that? that looked like a dictatorship. did this guy exit the wrong off ramp on the way to the Kremlin?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
sure would like to know the particulars of this......would like to get it direct from cspan.....

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Evil
www.youtube.com...

For those that can't watch the vid. can you please summarize what it is that is so appalling? Thanks!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You really believe this? It's edited together and not even very well. Are you really that naive?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Wow well it looks like we really at the end of the Road! a few months back they called a vote at around 2am in the morning after deciding Friday night to recess until money. Members were Beeped and had 1 hour to pitch up for the vote.

Nice Huh! Jail time if you ask me!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
The lunatics have escaped and are presently in charge of the asylum.

This makes me very angry.

Is this what it feels like to go crazy?

Did I just wake up in Russia? Or someone parallel dimension?

Murtha needs to change his name to Mao.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is absolute BS.

Our republic is dying a slow, painful death.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just to point out:

1j.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on ATS or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

ATS T&C
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not everyone has sound or the time to watch videos or are unable to watch them..

Could you please explain a little about what this vote is about and what YOU feel about it as well. Thanks...Once I know what this is all about I will post my opinion.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Wow - the UK is bad but you guys have gone!

If thats how its going to roll then I would get out while I could!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
For those that are asking, in the video, Jack Murtha asked for those in favor of a vote on approving the journal [not sure what that is] to stand. Then those who were standing said, "Aye." It didn't sound like very many people. Then, those opposed had to stand and say, "No". Clearly, the nos won. But, Murtha said that in his opinion, the ayes had won.

The representative from Wisconsin questioned his judgment, which made them do the vote again, and Murtha then "counted" the ayes and nays.

The representative from Wisconsin then asked Murtha to give to total numbers of ayes, to the number of members present. Murtha refused and then the representative called Murtha out saying that, according to the rules of the House, there weren't enough members present to do the vote that Murtha called for. Murtha disregarded the rules, and said that the records would show that the vote was approved for by the House.

That's more or less the jist of it. It's a shame that Murtha didn't lose last year.

ETA: The Wisconsin Representative is named Sensenbrenner, from Wisconsin's fifth district.

[edit on 9/4/2009 by octotom]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I have thought long and hard on how to answer your question with two lines... so this is what I came up with....
NO.

And Thanks O" for the narrative of the vote... I found it so UnAmerican, I thought the master at arms would arrest Murtha for violating the house rules or something... but no.. its just a disgrace.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thank you octotom!

This grows curiouser and curiouser as the US House of Representatives have not been in session since July 31st, there could not be a vote made on August 3rd which this video is supposedly dated.

As we have no way of viewing who showed their hands for the "aye" or "nays", volume of one over the other doesn't count.

If Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis) was attempting to filibuster by annoyingly asking for recount after recount (remember Sensenbrenner has been in Congress since 1979 and is most famed for introducing the Patriot Act), then the Chair does have the authority to put his foot down.

I looked through the Congressional Record for July 23rd - 31st and found no mention of Sensenbrenner. If a recount is called for, the Representative asking for the recount is mentioned by name.

The last time Sensenbrenner has been recorded as having voted was 2/25/09 against the Vote 86: H R 1105: Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009. Doing a search of Thomas for Sensenbrenner

WAIT A MINUTE! This is from August 3rd, 2007!!!

On August 2nd the House Majority Republicans were narrowly defeated on a motion for a vote for FY2008 agriculture appropriations bill (H.R.3161). The vote had to be counted 3 times and still it came up as a defeat.

So, on August 3rd, the Republicans attempted to protest the previous night's vote with the daily routine of verifying the previous days congressional record. Pro Tempore Speaker Murtha, overruled a GOP request for a recorded vote on the approval procedure. Murtha apparently ignored that Republicans at the time had a majority of members then in the House chamber, which enables them to force a record vote.

The confusion in regards to the number of votes tallied comes from the fact that this vote was done by Electric Tally. Apparently the Voting Board was not functioning properly due to a power plug having been disconnected.

This was resolved on August 16, 2007, when the chairman of the House Administration Committee, Rep. Robert Brady (D-Pa.) met with officials from the House Clerk's Office and determined there was no wrong doing on Murtha's part and that it was a simple mistake. The House Clerk's Office however investigated the August 2 voting irregularities and released an interim report of its findings to the House on September 30.

Many members of the House have had hearings of misconduct brought up against them before. For the fact that the Republican controlled House didn't move to have Murtha brought up on misconduct and the House Clerk's Office found no wrong-doing in good faith, then it sounds like the Republicans were pretty satisfied with the results later in the day after the Electronic Voting Tally was rectified.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by fraterormus]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join