It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland's Unbelievably Good Commercial for Marriage Equality

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Two people walk into court for a divorce. One gets the kids.

I'm having trouble too understanding what it is you're trying to say here Dzonatas, but felt I would chime in here as this is pretty much outdated information.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with the father, the courts these days favour shared custody- men are finally getting some equality when it comes to this issue- the child stays with both parents equal amount of time- both have custody.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

Originally posted by DYepes
I used to have a pretty ignorant world view on this subject, but have matured after actually having met more gay people in life and understanding they bleed red too.

None of my business what the two happy homos do in their private life, nor do I feel it is my right to deny them of that right to happiness. Hell, I think they have every right to adopt children as well. I have not met a single racist homo, annd I think more children growning up around a household that preaches equality and denounces prejudice helps build character.

You may have sineads hand in marriage as you see fit.

Hi DYepes:

I have two problems with gay couples adopting and raising children.

1) A mother and a father contribute a totally different dynamic to a child's upbringing. A gay couple is cheating the child of 1/2 of the equation. The child comes first.

2) School children can and are incredibly evil to each other and a child of gay parents will most certainly be treated differently - and certainly not favourably - by his or he peers at school.

Frankly, I find it quite cruel to impose this unfavourable environment upon a child simply to satisfy a gay couple's desires.

Namely, the best interests of the child comes first, not some social engineering experiment by a gay couple.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by leo123]

Wow.

I had this discussion with a religious friend of mine. He was convinced that a gay couple raising a child was the worst thing possible, for a variety of reasons. Foremost was that a marriage was a sacred vow between a man and a woman, and that it's not right for a child to be raised by anything other than that.

Then, I politely pointed out that he had a child out of wedlock, whom he had been raising by himself for 15 years. I asked if he thought he should have his child taken from him. He was speechless.

Would you describe a child raised in a single parent environment as a social engineering experiment? How about a child raised by a single father and his father (the child's grandfather). Should that child be taken from his family because they aren't equipped to raise him?

This type of reasoning is logical when it's spoken into an echo chamber. As soon as you hit the real world, it tends to shrivel up.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

There is enough court cases to prove that it hasn't changed to say that the courts favor shared custody. The laws haven't changed, for one.

There is some progress, yet not even enough to change the majority of cases.

And still, changes that happen today won't bring back the time that has already been lost over the last decade. Can't sweep that under the rug as outdated.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by leo123

1# Just because it's two men, doesn't mean they can't do their roles. Traditionally the father figure has always been the one to discipline, the one who teaches you the rules of life so to speak. However those roles are reversing in these times. Also see single parents. I'm pretty sure our current president was the product of a single mother.

2# Kids are kids. They will not be treated differently. Every child is subject to bullying. Kids always find a reason to hurt other kids. The reason isn't what matters. The kids that are bullys are just sadists. If you got through public schools without learning this, I'd like to know what planet you came, and can your people send me there?

Hi Miraj:

Respectfully, I think you totally missed my post.

A father and a mother bring a totally different dynamic into the raising of of a child and no matter how hard the gays try to ram that square through the hole, reality will remain.

It is very different and the child's interests come first, not some gay couple engaging in a social experiment.

There is much evidence to back this up, and I encourage you to investigate this. A single mother raising a child is escentially the same.

Particularly a male child.

Do you happen to know that the dynamic between two gay people would be any different than between two hetero people?

Have you seen the dynamic in gay couples? it's strikingly similar to the dynamic in hetero couples.... that's right... one is a bit more rough than the other, one a bit more delicate... Just because they are gay doesn't mean that opposites don't still attract....

Your whole argument is full of holes...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas
reply to post by lifecitizen

There is enough court cases to prove that it hasn't changed to say that the courts favor shared custody. The laws haven't changed, for one.

There is some progress, yet not even enough to change the majority of cases.

And still, changes that happen today won't bring back the time that has already been lost over the last decade. Can't sweep that under the rug as outdated.

After I posted I realised that you are probably in America and maybe things havent changed there and you still have sole custody going to the mother.

But here in Oz shared custody is more the norm these days- as it should be.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
What some people want to do is change the definition of marriage to appease the lifestyles of a minority. I do not think this is justified.

The definition of marriage was already changed when the government and people added privileges to being married.

For example, married people are able to claim a joint tax account where people who are not married are unable to do so unless they are a business entity.

Another example, married people are able to claim benefits of their spouse, which is not easily done if there is no marriage. These benefits range from insurance, military, and death.

Either let people get married for those reasons, or make it so that people don't need to be married at all in order to have such privileges.

Oh... and I haven't even gotten into penalties after divorce. I would love to see the gay community start to share in such penalties that heterosexual couples have shared in for quite awhile. It actually might balance a few things.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by dzonatas]

You raise some good points here. I completely disagree with the way marriage itself provides benefits for two people. I do NOT think homosexuals or heterosexuals should receive ANY benefits unless they can PROVE they are raising a child. Why should two adults without dependants receive benefits such as tax breaks, while the single average Joe and Josephine suffer just because they live by themselves?

So to be clear: two people of any sexual orientation should not receive legal benefits for simply being in a relationship. If they can provide proof that they are raising a child, THEN they should be eligible.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What two consenting adults do behind closed doors is nobody's business.

Two souls wanting to unite in marriage should not be told they cannot by any state or any person.

People should concern themselves with their own business and live and let live.

I have heard more people protesting gay marriages than the war in Iraq.

Humanity needs to grow up.

Making war is bad
Contributing to the pollution of Mother Earth is bad
Killing off thousands of species each year is bad
Any society that allows some to be able to buy a $20,000 pair of shoes while babies and the elderly go to bed hungry is bad
Allowing Big Business / Corporate America to control our government is bad

Most people in power are tyrants and bad (not all but most)

Gay marriages is the least of our problems.

We are still killing not only each other off via "war" but we're also majorly messing up our planet.

All adults should be free to choose whom to marry period.

Again this issue is due to some people want the power to tell others what they can and cannot do behind closed doors in the sanctuary of their homes.

Power over others seems to be a human need.

Best post in this thread yet.

ALL human beings deserve to be treated equally - regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation. Just because I'm not homosexual does not give me the right to dictate to those who are. If you are a human being in love, you should be able to get married. If you are a human being who has the capacity to raise a child in a loving environment you should be able to do so. It is not MY place to tell someone otherwise because they aren't of the same sexual orientation as I am. That's ridiculous. And wrong.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I used to have a pretty ignorant world view on this subject, but have matured after actually having met more gay people in life and understanding they bleed red too.

None of my business what the two happy homos do in their private life, nor do I feel it is my right to deny them of that right to happiness. Hell, I think they have every right to adopt children as well. I have not met a single racist homo, annd I think more children growning up around a household that preaches equality and denounces prejudice helps build character.

You may have sineads hand in marriage as you see fit.

did you know that when psychological poles of children raised by lesbian parents were taken, that children raised by lesbians came out more psychologically healthy then children raised by straight parents? And children raised by gay male parents came out the same as straight parents. So there is no problem with being raised by glbt parents.

Hi DYepes:

I have two problems with gay couples adopting and raising children.

1) A mother and a father contribute a totally different dynamic to a child's upbringing. A gay couple is cheating the child of 1/2 of the equation. The child comes first.

2) School children can and are incredibly evil to each other and a child of gay parents will most certainly be treated differently - and certainly not favourably - by his or he peers at school.

Frankly, I find it quite cruel to impose this unfavourable environment upon a child simply to satisfy a gay couple's desires.

Namely, the best interests of the child comes first, not some social engineering experiment by a gay couple.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by leo123]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Silly Rabbit, D*&^%$ are for chicks.

It is called survival of who reproduces the genetics.
If some mutations and bastardizations happen, that is fine and dandy, but thank everything they can not reproduce. Oh and yeah, they can't .

Disclaimer!!.... Really hot lesbians are null and void of all discrimination and for they deserve to exist and make out at parties everywhere.

I will now chill out from my half gallon now.

Either you are kidding, or an idiot.
If we gay people didn't exist, the world would be even more overpopulated than it is now.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by rogerstigers

What two consenting adults do behind closed doors is nobody's business.

Two souls wanting to unite in marriage should not be told they cannot by any state or any person.

People should concern themselves with their own business and live and let live.

I have heard more people protesting gay marriages than the war in Iraq.

Humanity needs to grow up.

Making war is bad
Contributing to the pollution of Mother Earth is bad
Killing off thousands of species each year is bad
Any society that allows some to be able to buy a $20,000 pair of shoes while babies and the elderly go to bed hungry is bad
Allowing Big Business / Corporate America to control our government is bad

Most people in power are tyrants and bad (not all but most)

Gay marriages is the least of our problems.

We are still killing not only each other off via "war" but we're also majorly messing up our planet.

All adults should be free to choose whom to marry period.

Again this issue is due to some people want the power to tell others what they can and cannot do behind closed doors in the sanctuary of their homes.

Power over others seems to be a human need.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by ofhumandescent]

The reason gay marrige is a VERY important issue with America today is because we are one of the ONLY minorities of people in America today who still do not have equal rights. Simple as that. America is supposed to be a free country.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maiaduir101

The reason gay marrige is a VERY important issue with America today is because we are one of the ONLY minorities of people in America today who still do not have equal rights. Simple as that. America is supposed to be a free country.

No one is stopping gay people from getting married any time they want to.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This also happens in Ireland with kids so that whole same sex stuff is just a media thing. It is not a hot topic on the streets.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
Great commercial. It's good to see the overall attitude towards gay marriage in the developed world is finally starting to hit a tipping point. I would never have thought I'd see a commercial for gay marriage anywhere 10 (or even 5) years ago.

Kudos, Ireland! Equality for all

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you.

This sentiment is nothing compared to the anti-homosexual agenda the world over.

Most people are not changing their attitudes towards "gay" marriage. Most people are stubbornly dragging their feet.

Civil rights will never come for them, because religion has condemned them as abominations, and humans of today's reality are a mostly an aggressive, assertive, domineering, religious and fervent people.

Equality is only a fantasy.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by northexpedition
This video does not speak for all of Ireland.

Translation: "Good" propaganda for family-destroying gay marriage

I agree with you.Marriage is a union between a man and a woman!
The marriage and family unit is the backbone of civilization.
Homosexuality destroys civilization,slowly breaking down all forms of
decent morals.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join