It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Conservatives Protest Obama's Nefarious Plot to Have Schoolchildren Learn Things in School"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

...then have him go to school and try to explain how god hates him because he is different, doesn't volunteer, or use paper bags at the grocer.

Serious?? You think THAT will be the gist of the speech?

I can't bear to watch the buffoons on Fox "news"...Steve Doocey gives me the creeps. The bubble-headed bleach blondes too....ugh. BUT, if that's the kind of crap they're selling you, then it's little wonder people are acting crazy over this issue.

How about this?: IF Pres. Obama says even ONCE that "god hates" all the little mikes of the country for being different (?!?! yeah, like a halfBlack/half White guy is gonna say that...), or that he should not use paper shopping bags, or is a loser for not volunteering...(He's SIX!!!) then ALL of us here at ATS will stand up and apologize.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Reminds myself of the quote: "Get em while they're young".

Home schooling 'folks'? .....or State sponsored automatons?

You have a Choice?

If not, why not?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicademus

I have stated this before. I do not agree with Obama's policies. I didn't agree with Bush's policies, but children deserve to be shielded from the politics of an adult and taught civics again. They ought to be called to "help the President" because they should know early on that they can make a difference if they are proactive. They could have helped Bush learn to spell if he'd asked for it.

Woops. That was a snark.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You know what I hadn't thought of, and nobody has discussed? Obama has never stopped campaigning since he took office, and this is another source of massive press. Will he "actually" tailor his speech to the school children, or will it be an eloquent and obviously over-their-head speech that is tailored for the parents and voters?

I will give him huge props if he follows through with a simple speech that school-aged children can identify with and understand, but he will lose all credibility to me, if this is another flowery campaign speech like he is famous for!

That is how I am going to judge the success/failure of it now thought it occurred to me!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I find it ironic how many here think there is nothing wrong with this and all the kids should be forced to sit through Obama's speech and "learning materials" afterward. Yet the same people probably do not want the pledge in school, or at the very least think kids should be able to opt out of it.

reply to post by weedwhacker

I can't bear to watch the buffoons on Fox "news"...Steve Doocey gives me the creeps. The bubble-headed bleach blondes too....ugh. BUT, if that's the kind of crap they're selling you, then it's little wonder people are acting crazy over this issue.

Do you folks listen to yourselves? You get the creeps because of their racial attributes?

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perseus Apex
Reminds myself of the quote: "Get em while they're young".

Home schooling 'folks'? .....or State sponsored automatons?

You have a Choice?

If not, why not?

Thank you!

You do have a choice, everyone has a choice, it is called free-will.

Labeling other people to me is rather idiotic,...

Oops, I just labeled those who label others, didn't I?

Why is it that people feel the need to label anyone and why do they always bitch about things when they can in fact affect the outcome.

Want your child to not listen to President Obama?

Fine, do not send them to school.

Want your child to listen to President Obama?

Fine, send them to school.

Want your child to know something outside of your perspective?

Fine, send them to school, and tell them to listen, but think.

Want your child to know your thoughts on something?

Fine, talk to them, and explain why you disagree.

There is one fine difference between shutting down a potential intelligent child, and teaching them something which will really help them in the long run, giving them a free choice to understand both sides of the story, and then make their decision.

I was in both public school and homeschool, and while I absolutely hated public school because of the drugs, alcohol, gang/clique mentality, and then I hated homeschool because my parents put me in it to keep me from getting killed, or worse yet to keep me from killing others, if I had children now I would put them through homeschool from K - 12.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's sad that things have been reduced to this. That a POTUS encouraging children to embrace learning and better themselves should result in such rancor shows how low our society has sunk. Welcome to the Idiocracy.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

It's sad that things have been reduced to this. That a POTUS encouraging children to embrace learning and better themselves should result in such rancor shows how low our society has sunk. Welcome to the Idiocracy.

Thats not what it is though. Its the president giving their teachers so called "learning materials" that they will be forced to teach these kids with. On top of that, they have already had to remove the pledges to dedicate themselves to the president. Why do you guys keep wanting to mischaracterize people's objections? I notice your spin is EXACTLY the spin coming from MSNBC and the like. Its non-stop demonetization of anyone who dares to question the great leader.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

And, conversely, those who would equate a pledge in school to good moral character and patriotic duty would fail to show even a modicum of respect for a sitting President.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
I find it ironic how many here think there is nothing wrong with this and all the kids should be forced to sit through Obama's speech and "learning materials" afterward. Yet the same people probably do not want the pledge in school, or at the very least think kids should be able to opt out of it.

reply to post by weedwhacker

Do you folks listen to yourselves? You get the creeps because of their racial attributes?

Where does it say that students will be forced to do any of the above?
Forgive some of us who actually think that children hearing a president speak about education may actually inspire some children to succeed.
But I digress. This isn't about the speech.
It's about Obama.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

Blonde isn't a race!!

HaHa! Anyway, I get the point, it is disconcerting that all the Newscasters are attractive, because all the polls show we trust attractive people more than ugly ones! We also will watch an attractive person drivvle nonsense, but we would probably change the channel if a homely person was speaking innovative truth and logic!!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

The "journalist" whose work this is has a history of this kind of reporting. I call it taking creative license with the facts. Check "the link" in the OP, then click on the reporters name to see a list of his recent articles.

Objective, impartial reporting of the facts would be a refreshing change.

Stories by Jamison Foser

When McCain Does Something Wrong, the Media Calls Him a Hero

Imagine How the Media Would Cover the Divorced Rich Republican Presidential Candidates, If They Were Democrats

Why David Broder Doesn't Deserve His Position at the Top of the Media Food Chain

The Press Hates Democrats

Swiftboating Hillary

Flip-flopper in Chief

Redefining 'Mainstream'

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Its the president giving their teachers so called "learning materials" that they will be forced to teach these kids with.

Please explain the context of your use of the word "forced" in this case. I've been in contact with actual teachers (5th, 7th and 9th grade) and none of them indicate anything in the lesson plan is being forced on them.

From where have you heard this?

On top of that, they have already had to remove the pledges to dedicate themselves to the president.

I've heard of no such pledges. I'll reconnect with my teacher friends and check to see if they have. What are these "pledges" of which you speak?

Why do you guys keep wanting to mischaracterize people's objections?

I would prefer objections based on accurate information. The "objections" I've seen all appear to be based on the melodramatic sermons of pundits.

Its non-stop demonetization of anyone who dares to question the great leader.

My motivation is truth. What is yours?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Has anyone posted Gibb's response to the "Furor" over the speech? I am pretty sure I read all the responses and I haven't seen it, so here goes:

apnews.excite.com...

"I think we've reached a little bit of the silly season when the president of the United States can't tell kids in school to study hard and stay in school," presidential spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters. "I think both political parties agree that the dropout rate is something that threatens our long-term economic success."

Obama's planned address to students has prompted a surprising push-back from some quarters over what the White House sees as an important but innocuous topic.

Some conservative critics say Obama is trying to promote a political agenda and overstepping his bounds, taking the federal government too far into public school business.

Seems they are having the same debate we are!!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If you are really paranoid about the situation which is unfolding in the United States, then you might want to make sure that your kid's are there. Could be a data mining exercise. A list of all the kids whom were absent is a list of parents who are in opposition to the president enough to keep their kid's home from school.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I find it ironic how many here think there is nothing wrong with this and all the kids should be forced to sit through Obama's speech and "learning materials" afterward.

In 1972, while 13, I was "forced" to read a letter direct from President Nixon with a great deal of information regarding his planned trip to China. It was a letter sent to "all" school children, and was the center piece for several projects.

While my recollection is rather fuzzy, I do recall that it painted Nixon in a rather angelic light as a foreign affairs saviour.

The point being -- this is not unique, and next week's planned event is far less self-serving than the Nixon material. However, I do recall learning a great deal about China.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I could be completely wrong here, but does anyone else find these "for or against" Obama discussions a little too shortsighted? I'm almost certain the PTB are laughing their butts off knowing they're still able to play the American people against each other like this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but its not going to take an administration change to clean things up. The entire system is corrupt.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I just received my childrens Obama joker t-shirts and they will proudly display them in school on Tuesday. I guess I am one of the lucky ones in our school district they will not be asking the children the follow up questions. My oldest son (7) asked the teacher if he had to watch the obama video and she replied yes. HMmmmmm gets ya thinkin huh

GOD BLESS AMERICA

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
He's your president,

am I missing the huge deal about him talking to the children of his country?

I guess so. Or maybe right wingers need something to bash him for...since they're running out reasons.

These morons are so concerned with a Democrat saying "Stay in School."

oh no not the wacky Democrats!!!!

My goodness...grow up.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join