It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag of China to be raised at White House on 9/20

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The national flag of the People's Republic of China (PRC) will be hoisted at the South Lawn of the White House in Washington on September 20, media reported Sunday. Chinese associations in the United States had applied to hold a ceremony in front of the US President’s residence to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC.

Chinese Flag Raising

Well, at least it's finally being shown who owns us.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IKnowNothing

Trying it on for size, I reckon. It's probably not uncommon for this to happen, but yeah...we might as well just add another pole at work...American, Kansas and Chinese....course the Red one will need to go on top...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
How can we find out if this has been done before? I don't like this at all. WTH is this? I know they practically own us, but why would we fly a communist flag at the White House?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sorry about the smart a** comment

Hell, go ahead and raise a Japanese flag at Pearl Harbor while there at it.

I also would like to know if this has ever been done before.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

OP, can you look further into this? I mean dropping a bomb like this and then not following through is not right.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
OP don't be offended at all.

But, there is absolutely NO WAY this is real!

I smell [HOAX]. I have the hardest time believing we would let this happen.

Come on people.
----->

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Chinese associations in the United States had applied to hold a ceremony in front of the US President’s residence to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of PRC.

Basically they asked if they could do this.

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, there are a lot of Chinese Americans.

And American history tends to omit that the Chinese helped us settle the wild west. But Chinese have been a part of our history.

Last summer, Ivey drove his RV to this lab, run by the state's Archaeological Research Center, to participate in the excavation of a 19th-century Chinese neighborhood buried under the fabled Wild West boomtown of Deadwood (once home to Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane). State archaeologists have been working at the Deadwood site, in the Black Hills 50 miles northeast of Rapid City, for three years. In August they closed down the dig and shipped the final box-loads of bone, wood, metal and glass to the state's lab for analysis. Read more: www.smithsonianmag.com...

smithsonian

Around 1870, hundreds of Chinese were employed in the construction of the Southern Pacific railroad through Arizona.

tombstone times

Like most cities, Tombstone had its Chinatown. Whites called it "Hoptown." It hopped from Third Street to First Street and from Fremont Street to Toughnut Street. To avoid trouble with residents in other parts of the town, the Chinese hopped in and out of connecting private tunnels. In a town of more than 5000, perhaps 300 to 500 were Chinese who lived in their own quarters.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I fully understand what you are saying. I am in no way implecating the degredation of chinese-americans.

I am just saying that I don't see the reason to raise a chinese flag.

Do you think they would raise an American flag? I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Yeah, I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the Chinese have done to help us, I have a problem flying a communist flag at the White House.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I think it is Chinese groups in a America who applied to do it. I don't think it has anything to do with the white house other then they applied for the location and want to show relations between US and China.

US and China are intertwined, there is no denying it.

I don 't see it as any different having the flags over embassies.

Though that bit about the olympics is just plain silly.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
On July 28, 1918, the White House had the Serbian flag raised, under President Woodrow Wilson. The reason being, the United States wanted to show their support for the Serbian people, in opposing Austria.

Below is the statement that President Woodrow Wilson made:

To the People of the United States:

On Sunday, 28th of this present month, will occur the fourth anniversary of the day when the gallant people of Serbia, rather than submit to the studied and ignoble exactions of a prearranged foe, were called upon by the war declaration of Austria-Hungry to defend their territory and their homes against an enemy bent on their destruction. Nobly did they respond.

So valiantly and courageously did they oppose the forces of a country ten times greater in population and resources that it was only after they had thrice driven the Austrians back and Germany and Bulgaria had come to the aid of Austria that they were compelled to retreat into Albania. While their territory has been devastated and their homes despoiled, the spirit of the Serbian people has not been broken. Though overwhelmed by superior forces, their love of freedom remains unabated. Brutal force has left unaffected their firm determination to sacrifice everything for liberty and independence.

It is fitting that the people of the United States, dedicated to the self-evident truth that is the right of the people of all nations, small as well as great, to live their own lives and choose their own government, and remembering that the principles for which Serbia has so nobly fought and suffered are those for which the United States is fighting, should on the occasion of this anniversary manifest in an appropriate manner their war sympathy with this oppressed people who have so heroically resisted the aims of the Germanic nations to master the world. At the same time, we should not forget the kindred people of the Great Slavic race--the Poles, the Czechs and Jugo-Slavs, who, now dominated and oppressed by alien races yearn for independence and national unity.

This can be done in a manner no more appropriate than in our churches. I, therefore, appeal to the people of the United States of all faiths and creeds to assemble in their several places of worship on Sunday July 28, for the purpose of giving expression to their sympathy with this subjugated people and their oppressed and dominated kindred in other lands, and to invoke the blessings of Almighty God upon them and upon the cause to which they are pledged.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I looked on the Whitehouse website but could find nothing. Seems this news might have have started with a chinese source. I think China daily was the first to report this.

Well, that is what two Chinese sources are reporting. China Daily reported — apparently unnoticed until last week — that the Fujian Association had applied to the White House for permission to hold a celebration to honor the founding of the People’s Republic of China, and to hoist that country’s red flag on the south lawn of the White House.

www.jbs.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Again, fully understand. But with the way that communism is being influenced over here, (lets face it, it is) with all the talks over China taking over US businesses and basically selling everything to us, I just don't think now is the time for a communist flag to be flown at the white house.

For the bit about serbia, that was an entire different meaning. Different time, different reason, totally different country.

I still think there's more to this.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
I have a problem flying a communist flag at the White House.

Why? What is the problem? Are we so fragile that a group of Chinese Americans celebrating the founding of their country and raising their flag for one day threatens you in some way? Seriously, can you explain the problem you have?

I'm not clear that the White House has much involvement with this celebration or if there will actually be a Chinese Flag on the White House property at all, since I'm unfamiliar with the media that reported it, but there have been several foreign flags flown at the White House at the request of the President. And everyone lived.

Serbian Flag Raised at the White House - 1918

French Flag Raised at the White House - 1920

Italian Flag at the White House

I don't think China's flag is all that different than ours. It's not like little communist fibers are going to flake off and get on everyone and turn us all into Communists... Is it?

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think the problem is that it's a celebration regarding the founding of a communist country, whereas, the countries whose flags were formally raised were about the virtues and values similar to the United States, the bravery and freedom of the people.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well, after that assertion. I am calmer now. Thank you BH.

Its not the flag I fear, seeing that it has been done before. Its the entire, China owns the US theory, that I fear.

Let them have their moment. If it makes them happy, and settles things a bit, then they should be allowed to do what other countries have done in the past.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So we can't allow any celebrations of people who are different than us? We cannot allow people to celebrate the birth of the land from which they come, even though it isn't perfect like the US is?

How would you feel if you moved to another country and you weren't allowed to raise the US flag on July 4? Wherever you want... What kind of country would FORBID the raising of a flag of another country?

I'm sorry, I still don't see what people are afraid of...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It would be fine if someone decided to raise the flag of their country of origin in another country, I could care less if someone was raising the flag at their house, business, etc., more power to them for not forgetting where they came from. But, it's being raised at the White House, the main symbol of our leadership, history, and values.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I see no communist influences at all in the US, can you explain?

If, by communist influence, you mean the burgeoning government surveillance programmes directed at the citizens and the current favourite, the Healthcare reforms, then these are not really indicators of communism. In fact, benefitting the huge insurance and pharmaceutical corporations, which are private not public, is pure corporate facism, despite how it's presented or perceived.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
that is straight chinese propoganda - sorry if someone already pointed that out but i mean please we are going to do it for this that and "china is a responsible country".

thats like "yea dad i can go to the party mom said so cause im such a wonderful person and i smell so good "

all chinese propoganda is like that - half put together bs. let me tell you how to spot things like this.

truth carries weight - real undeniable weight. and it lines up with reality effortlessy. lies are flimsy and inherently do not line up with reality. therefore an entire false reality must be set up to frame an effective lie. i do not look for the disparity between a statement and reality - that comes after - what i do look for is the framework of a lie, the sawdust and bricabrac that accumulates in the hasty preparation of a mockup reality (the lie's 'house' if you will)

here is an example. just about anyone who's lived in a city has been approached by a drug addict who is somehow still coherent enough to spin some complicated story about how he is out of gas and this other bad thing happened and he needs an exact dollar and change amount to get where he is going (aka cracktown and last time i got hit up it was $4.63. seriously he asked for that exact amount). now if this guys smart hes wearing a polo shirt and if hes really smart he'll pretend to be doing something with a cellphone at the time. his story will be impressively detailed and very long.

the instinct of the liar is to overshoot the mark of reality in his lie. it is the downfall of the gullible to be hypnotized. i may not know the specific details of a situation, but i can spot a prepared script from a mile away. now does that mean i dont ever get fooled? of course not. do i fact check? YES but only when i cant spot the framework of lies. this will save you tons of time - its called a BS meter and if you dont already have one it is my gift to you.

i'll entertain the possibility that they'll put out PRC bar napkins on the lawn. actually nevermind i'll believe it when i see it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join