It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Jumps to 9.7%

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117
This is alarming, I think this will cause stocks to plummit today, and it will be interesting to see what happens over the weekend.

Stocks stopped making sense a while ago - ended up nearly 100 points today, despite this news

I'm lucky in that my town doesn't seem to be too badly hit (yet...) and I've had some success looking for work the past couple of months. I've got a job working part-time at a famous department store chain, but I've also had quite a few interviews - and more scheduled next week. My wife also just quit her job and immediately found another. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything is fine - just that some places are suffering worse than others. I feel very lucky.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
True unemployment rate already at 20%
blogs.moneycentral.msn.com...

I don't believe it.

That's 1 in 5.

Are 1 in 5 of your family members who are of a working age unemployed?

or 1 in 5 of your friends?

Walk out into the street and look around.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981

Originally posted by kozmo
Think about this... take 2.5million unemployed workers, give each of them a $50K a year job and you still only spend $125B.!

Or take use all the 767 billion and put 15 million people back to work. Just think of all the new roads, clean up projects and parks we could have had.

You're right!

Put people to work building roads, parks, and doing cleanup up work. That would put money in the hands of consumers so they can go out and buy TV's made in China, computers made in Malaysia, cars made in Japan, the list goes on and on and on! That will do a lot to stimulate every one else's economy but not a damn thing to stimulate our own economy on any sustainable level.

You wanna truly fix our economy? Try rebuilding our economy to produce actual tangible things that can be shipped all over the world that people will buy. That will import wealth rather than export it and that is what we need. As long long as we are a service based economy we will also be a net importer which means we be exporting our wealth little by little while becoming poorer and poorer.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
When i sign on, as a quick look, i log onto excite.com. on the left, is he current stocks. Now, the funny thing is, time to time it reset itself to 0...that is odd. I take it as manipulation. 2 days ago, it was in the minus 33 sometine. right now, its +92 something. Being a weekeend and labor day comin, sales will go up. I work in retial, at least where i am, thats how it works. now, heres my theory... things wil slow after halloween, slightly picking up 2 weeks prior to thanksgiving. sales will drop again, until 2nd week in december, when people stat all their laast minute xams shopping or ALl xams shopping. sales will be modeerate, and come new years day thats what scares me. business everywhere slows down!!! usualy until late march to mid april. so! i can see more layoffs coming around

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The U-3 unemployment isn't 9.7%. That is a beautiful lie. The reality for August was 10.98% or thereabouts,whilst september U-3 will be 11.55%.
They will no doubt not even change it for September.

And U-6 (include all the peopel who have stopped looknig for work,which is millions + all the housewives and mothers who are in the same boat, they aren't loking for work. And there are at least 10 million housewives in the USA who fall under that category)
And I'm not even adding people who have part-time jobs. Without them alone the U-6 is 20.3% and september will be around 21.4%

25 percent by the end of Decemer !

This 9.7% is a joke. People are falling off the jobless claims in hundreds of thosuands each month now and STILL unemployment is rising.

34% by June U-6

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They sure are! actually 5out of five in my family.

My town is supposedly at 15.17% I guess that would make the reality more like 40%It is so bad here. 300 applying per available job.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'm in the same position as the other poster, I know friends and family who are unemployed and a few who are in transitional jobs, meaning that job won't last long.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

seems your nation is heading for collapse and communism , just like how Rockefeller wanted .

I would suggest as you have served in military , go join mercenery corporations like Blackwater or (XE) , Dynacorp etc.

in future , mercernary forces will be used to implement martial law in USA alongside potentially the UN . you could earn good money for your military skills in private security/mercernary groups

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I'm one of those people that can't find work. It's a real PITA too.
Especially after putting in full time for college after time in the military for the G.I. bill. And then either to get no reply at all, or have somebody say you're not experienced enough. (Apparently all the entry jobs are overseas, so how am I supposed to get the experience without moving somewhere that I can't currently afford to anyways? Still needed college loans, and those are expensive.) Also I see way too much that points to nepotism in hiring practices of smaller businesses, so that doesn't help either. And it's aggravating when you see the "nepo-hires" are much less skilled and competent than you are.

If I had work, I wouldn't be spending time here. I'd be catching up on rest or too busy doing more productive stuff to complain. At least right now I can be thankful I have family watching out for me, or it's likely I'd be out wandering the street somewhere. I suspect I'm not the only one with family/friends covering for them, otherwise things would get a lot more mean pretty quick. (Look at some other places in the world with high unemployment, if you know what I mean.) You probably don't hear too much, because most of us "boomerangs" are still embarrased by not being able to garner means to live on one's own despite the effor to do so.

If the people running things in the U.S. cared about the citizenry more than the corporations, they'd bring back tariffs. As nice as free trade and helping the world economy sounds, it isn't doing ourselves any real favors. Personally I'd like to see two types of particular tariffs instated to level the playing field. Environmental Impact Tax: any import produced under conditions that fail to meet U.S. EPA standards gets hit with this. Hazard Tax: Any good produced overseas in facilities that fail OSHA standards (including child labor) gets hit with this one. Sure things will get more expensive, but it puts an end to the excuses behind buying cheaper goods and the abuses done to make it possible.

I see those as being fair, and they compensate for the costs associated with the regulated marketplace stateside. They eliminate some of the loopholes that cause outsourcing in the first place, and if they don't want the tax - just implement the same workplace operating standards as required in this country and have it verified by U.S. inspectors. (Most developed nations shouldn't have much trouble in meeting or exceeding compliance anyways.)

Existing free trade doesn't only outsource jobs, but it outsources pollution and other things that are bad. (And we had learned our lessons the hard way, so we know there's good reason for the regulations in place here. Thus there is no just excuse to blatantly allow for it elsewhere.) But free trade is a loophole in the name of profits to get around regulations that were intended to protect working people.

Plug some of those loopholes, and I suspect there will be more fairness in the labor market. But I don't suspect seeing much done about it, unless we can get some independent reformers in office. (Because both parties are just as bad for different reasons, and aren't really looking out for my interests. Even if a party candidate is good on some terms, they usually concede too much to their party lines. So finding good independents next time around seems to be necessary.)

Another suggestion to help the economy might be to offer tax breaks to corporations that help with educational costs, with the caveat of guaranteed job placement afterwards. And not just in research or technology, but in any field. Would help a lot with the expensive entry level job hole that disrupts the point of getting educated in the first place. Even doing something to encourage apprencticeships in trades that don't require a degree would be nice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join