It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Indian woman fights for 'rape' baby"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Good morning all,

The story of a pregnant teenager has been making the headlines in India. Lakshmi (not her real name) is 19 years old, but her mental age is said to be only around eight. She became pregnant after allegedly being raped in a government-run care home, and the state authorities petitioned the local courts to allow them to carry out an abortion.

But then came the twist - her lawyers and several disability rights groups appealed to the Supreme Court. It overruled the original judgement - allowing her to have the baby she said she wanted to keep.

However, medical professionals who examined Lakshmi said she could not look after a baby. Psychologists say she suffers from "mild mental retardation" and has a low IQ.

Source

Now don't get me wrong its horrible whats happened to this young girl and in that respect I do feel sorry for her.

But how on earth can a legal team overrule the original judgement?

The girl in question is 19 years old in age but has a mental age of 8 and as shown above psychologists say she has a low IQ and mental retardation.

So tell me how can they allow, to be blunt, a retarded young adult with a mental age of 8 to look after a baby?

What sort of quality of life is the child going to have?

Without sounding disrespectful but given whats been said about her mental capacity I would be surprised if she could look after herself adequately, let alone a young child.

The Supreme Court agreed with Ms Bedi. In its ruling, the court said: "Nature will take care of the orphan mother and child."

I'm sorry but thats a completely uneducated statement.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Nature... doesn't really take care as much as people think it does. It's an ignorant statement, I concur.

The child should, at the very least, be put up for adoption, a parent with the age of 8 mentally, is not fit.

I mean, honestly would you trust your child to live and grow up with an 8 year old parent figure?

No!

No questions asked, we barely trust babysitters of 13 nonetheless a parent of 8 mentally!

Emotions, and feelings have no place in Justice! And should be gone. But they'll stick around, and bad things will keep happening, and the world will implode.

Edit to add:

Well I went and made sure to read, and my post stands the same.

Although, I find it quite a day when bad genes, can be supported as OK, to pass on.

I don't think as a Mental retard she should be allowed to reproduce, nonetheless take care of a child, who of course, i'm sure she won't alone take care of but require some payers dollars, to pay also.

Then again, I'm against bad genes being passed on in general, and think some law should be passed lol very controversial, but I can't imagine more and more, of a line of Mental Retard kids being sprung from this, hurting our line of humans.

it sounds sick, but take away emotions, and it's much better.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is wrong! How the legal team managed to overturn the original courts decision is beyond me...

Your right with regards to emotions and feelings; they shouldn't be involved in justice.

The girl has a mental age of 8, I bet if you ask any 8 year little girl who she like a baby they would all say yes. But an 8 year old wouldn't be able to adopt a child in this coutry?

It's madness! Political correctness and a mixture of lacking cultural education in this case.

Thats interesting what you have to say about mentally retarded people not being allowed to reproduce.

Obviously in this case she didn't willing reproduce as she was raped but its a concept in general I have never thought about.

Is it right to allow mentally handicapped people to reproduce if their child will inherit the same disease/condition as its parents?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Is it right to allow mentally handicapped people to reproduce if their child will inherit the same disease/condition as its parents?

It's not even just if the first generation will get it, it may pass on to the second generation.

Which is were evolution collides.

We see in nature, dogs eating runts, and young, we see all this, why, well they've survived pretty damn far. We are backtracking.

I was lucky to have been born in a family with little to no, bad genes, I'm very thankful for it.

My sister is pregnant, with her husband who suffers from some genetic disorders, and I honestly, don't wish them to have a child, to pass on those bad genes, it sounds awful, and they do all they can... to keep in touch or good terms, but I worry about the whole, not a spontaneous hey a BABY, a LIFE BEING THAT WILL BRING the rest of humanity!

As Keanu Reeves said!

: You need a license to fish, a license to hunt, a license to well I'll let my idol say it the best.

Just 23 seconds.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
With the greatest respect to the OP, should an innocent child be killed just because its mother is not very bright and because its conception was brought about in a violent manner?

This child is innocent.

How quickly we forget that and how quickly we have forgotten that its mother is also innocent.

so killing is the answer?

I think not!

I have also met many very intelligent 8 year old girls who could give many adults a run for their money in the intelligence stakes!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
With the greatest respect to the OP, should an innocent child be killed just because its mother is not very bright and because its conception was brought about in a violent manner?

This child is innocent.

How quickly we forget that and how quickly we have forgotten that its mother is also innocent.

so killing is the answer?

I think not!

I have also met many very intelligent 8 year old girls who could give many adults a run for their money in the intelligence stakes!!!

If you read what I put I never actually once suggested killing the kid or having an abortion. I simply said how can they let her mother, a 19 year old with a mental capacity of 8 and mental retardation, look after a baby.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

But how on earth can a legal team overrule the original judgement?

If a woman can have the right to abortion, why can't the this woman have the right to keep her child. Lawyers have right to intervene.

Granted she doesn't have the mind of a woman. But IMO, she doesn't have the mind to say yes or no to an abortion either. Therefore, the court should intervene on the safe side and let nature takes its course.

Whatever money that comes from a lawsuit (if allowed) due to the rape, should be put in a trust fund for the child.

So tell me how can they allow, to be blunt, a retarded young adult with a mental age of 8 to look after a baby?

I really don't think she will have to look after the child herself. I'm sure she would get help for her baby just like she was able to get help for her condition.

Should government make mentally ill women get fixed so they don't have kids in the first place just because they are not capable of taking care of their children?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Many mentally challenged adults have lived in their own homes and raised children.

IQ doesn't mean everything. I have seen some pretty smart adults treat children pretty badly.

Those who have mental challenges used to be considred touched by the gods in some tribes because they were so happy.

A home with a happy mother, not a bad thing.

And I am sure the mother will be provided with plenty of help.

Poor thing, who rapes someone like that?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

with all due respect. My father was a single parent to me and my brother. My father? was mentally retarded. He had (he passed away last may) the mental level of an 11 year old. Yes..3 years above 8, however, still a rather young mental capacity. He went to work, my grandparents helped to set him up in a small house on their property. Yes, they checked on us everyday. But he worked, he cooked, he cleaned, he helped me with my homework, and when he couldn't? he would always respond "I'm sorry sweetie, go ask grandma." He paied our bills on time every month, and believe it or not he did short distance driving to the local market. We lived in a very small country community. When I got old enough, I helped to cook and clean and take over the bill paying. But he taught me all of it. My grandparents were there to help to be sure, but he was front and center. He was the one who stood up to clap when I graduated from high school. He bought me my first couch and desk for my dorm when I went off to college. He gave me away at my wedding...
he threw me my baby shower when I was pregnant with my first child and my grandmother had already passed away. It was small, and cute, and I loved it. We came from and area that was very small, very backwoods, our town literally had one traffic light. And it was an area and a time when the people around us really didn't understand mental retardation. They all thought he was simply shy and simple. So they all assumed he could take care of his kids when our mother left. And guess what? he could. And he did.

I am married now, with my own children. They are 8 and 2. My 8 year old is heaven sent. She takes such good care of her sister, playing and cleaning up after her. She so sweet, on saturdays she offers to make breakfast..usually waffles in the toaster. Could she care for a baby of her own? heaven forbid if she ever had to? with the community around her, if her family pulled together for her? You can bet your ass she could. People are much more capable then we give them credit for, even the ones deemed unable. This little teenager obviously has a mind of her own. The courts called for abortion...she said no! the people are calling for her to give the baby up..she says No! I guarantee that if they were to give her that child..go back in a years time and you would probably find that she's a better caregiver than half the parents in the USA. I know my father was. I look at some parents today..the ones on the news who have drowned their kids, or left them in cars..or abandoned them..or the parents in and around us who are clearly irresponsible with their children..and I think to myself..thank God I had the daddy I did.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Granted she doesn't have the mind of a woman. But IMO, she doesn't have the mind to say yes or no to an abortion either. Therefore, the court should intervene on the safe side and let nature takes its course.

Nature taking its course with just the mother and child would result in an unhappy ending I'm pretty sure...

Whatever money that comes from a lawsuit (if allowed) due to the rape, should be put in a trust fund for the child.

I agree.

I really don't think she will have to look after the child herself. I'm sure she would get help for her baby just like she was able to get help for her condition.

I hope she does get help.

Should government make mentally ill women get fixed so they don't have kids in the first place just because they are not capable of taking care of their children?

Not calling the parents, just don't think its fair on kids. Thats all...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Many mentally challenged adults have lived in their own homes and raised children.

IQ doesn't mean everything. I have seen some pretty smart adults treat children pretty badly.

Those who have mental challenges used to be considred touched by the gods in some tribes because they were so happy.

A home with a happy mother, not a bad thing.

And I am sure the mother will be provided with plenty of help.

Poor thing, who rapes someone like that?

Well I suppose you could be right, like I said I just don't want to see the child get hurt.

As I said I do feel sorry for the girl, I'm just not sure if she is able to look after her own child.

With regards to support, well as she lives in a childrens home I'm not sure she has any family. Who will help her?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nkinga

You know what?

That was a lovely story, thank you for sharing it.

I suppose it goes to show my ideas are wrong, its brilliant your family gave you and your father the support needed.

I'm just not sure the girl in the article will get that.

But once again thanks for that, I was genuinely touched by your story.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
If you're going to call it ''rape baby'' then go ahead and kill it.
Seriously.
It doesn't need us.

We could trick it
into needing us if we called it the ''super baby''.
Years from now when we have an advantage in the field of unbalanced Earth science due to our enormous hoard of US $1 coins we can unleash Super Baby to stumble and fall upon enemy cities. It will kill our enemy and then it will perish as it fails to provide for itself among the ruins of the land. That is why it is called Super Baby. It is the most powerful feeble thing. It is Super Baby, the giant baby that stumbles and falls and completely squashes anything it falls upon. A giant smashing baby defeating the enemy of the Republic.

It will naturally be a magnificent killing baby. But killing softly.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The truth is...she might not. I mean in that part of the world, even the unmentally challenged fall way short of getting the help, love and support they need. But does she have the right to try? And does that baby need to be aborted just because? Is there a family out there who will take it in and love and care for it? or will it go into an orphanage? There are always so many questions with the unknown, when the fact is..we will never really know for sure. I mean after all..we can have totally capable parents, in the best part of the world, and yet..some end up being the worst caregivers.

I mean, yes, I had the best daddy in my opinion, and yes he was mentally challenged. Does that mean another in his condition would be the same? No. Of course it doesn't. My point was, it can't be the deciding factor. Can we take the chance of a see what happens with this baby? My fear factor says..No! but my mind and heart say, why not? my family did with my father, and he turned out to be the best. Do they need to have checkpoints with her? absolutely, and hopefully the lawyers will see that and help her along with that as well. Hopefully they won't just fight for the human rights issue and then ignore all afterwards. But my main point was..her mental capacity cannot be the deciding factor, if for no other reason then the fact that mental retardation is such an iffy thing. I mean my father, had the mind of an 11 year old, and yet, he knew he had to go to work and he know he had to pay bills, and he knew he had to feed us and get us to school on time...the other stuff was always touch and go and when I think back now..it was comical and endearing, he played games with us and he liked toys and he enjoyed birthday parties and surprises, just like any eleven year old. He was into cartoons and his favorite food was pizza. When I think back, he was definitely child like, and yet..he was responsible..it doesn't make sense when I think back and remember details. I mean, picture an eleven year old being a parent? going to work, cooking? its crazy..but thats why mental retardation is really such a very strange thing. I have a friend, and her brother is mentally retarded. He has the mind of a 14 year old. He is a manager of a Chick Fil A. Hard job? not really..but for a 14 year old? He drives, and owns a home...its weird when you see it and think about it. So does it mean they make great parents? Well, being unmentally challenged doesn't mean someone is a great parent either. So that was just my point. It can't be the deciding factor. Now..means, money, love, those of course should be the deciding factors. Does she have the means to care for a child, does she have the love to care for a child, does she have the financial capabilities needed to take care of a child. Will she know when to feed it and how, and changing diapers and baths and keeping it safe from harm? can she do that as a mother 24/7? will she have the support she needs. I'm not saying..YES give her the baby. I'm just saying, lets make the other factors more important then a handicap. Because truthfully? I know some pretty unmentally challenged people, who I swear just haven't been given the correct diagnosis yet.

new topics

top topics

join