It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mexico-Forgotten WW II ally" Learn Something New Everyday!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

Prior to now I had no knowledge that Mexico had any involvement in World War 2. It was not taught in any history book I've ever read; the only thing I've ever seen is how the US did this, and how the US did that. Now, thanks to a man named Manuel I do. His grandfather died in the Philippines in World War 2 fighting in the Mexican Air Force, and dying along side US Soldiers.

I started investigating the subject, and found some very interesting things. First off, the Mexican Government hadn't decided upon joining either the Allied Forces, or the Axis Forces. The tipping point came due to the Germans having their U-boats patrolling, and sinking ships in the Gulf of Mexico. See here, and here for stories of the German U-boats operating all over the Gulf Of Mexico. They sank ships from the mouth of the Mississippi, and all the way over around Florida. According to Manuel the German's sunk two Mexican Tanker Ships in the Yucatan Strait(waterway between Yucatan Peninsula, and Florida), and were unmerciful to the Mexican crews. I am still looking for the specific incident now, but in the main article featured below sites at least one oil tanker sunk by the Germans; it is the reason for Mexico joining the World War, and joining the Allied Forces.

www.mexconnect.com...

Now, a miscalculation by Germany provided the impetus to break the stalemate. Numerous submarine attacks on Mexican ships, coupled with a massive propaganda campaign launched by the U.S., British and French began to turn the tide of public opinion. Fearful that an invasion by either Germany or Japan would lead to a massive invasion by the U.S. and turn Mexico into a battleground, the Mexican government, albiet secretly, had permitted U.S. agents to enter the country to train Mexican counter-intelligence forces and to help secure both of Mexico's coasts against possible incursions by saboteurs. There is some evidence that Germany, Italy and Spain did maintain extensive spy networks and had planted saboteurs in the Federal Republic who were planning to take over Acapulco and launch attacks against aircraft factories in San Diego. Prompt action by the joint Mexican-U. S, counterintelligence forces nipped several such plots in the bud. The final straw was the sinking of a Mexican oil tanker, the Potero de Llano and in June 1942 Mexico declared war against the Axis

Mexican raw materials fueled over 40% of the U.S. war industries, a fact that historians have chosen to ignore. This in itself was a great contribution to the American and Allied war effort and merits acknowledgment.
Did You read that?? Had Mexico not stepped up to the plate Our war machine wouldn't have been strong enough.

However, only the already modernized Mexican Air Force was to actually engage in combat. Mexican pilots received additional training in the United States and in 1945 fought valiantly in the air war in the Phillipines. Only one squadron, Number 201, actually saw combat. Nicknamed "The Aztec Eagles," they flew P-47 Thunderbolt fighters and offered close ground support for U.S. and Philipino ground forces as they struggled to liberate the islands from the Japanese. Decorated by the United States, Mexico and the Phillipines, its 31 pilots and approximately 150 ground support personnel were the only Mexican military force to serve outside of Mexico. Of the squadron's 31 pilots, 5 were killed in action. Its personnel, both pilots and ground support elements certainly deserve to be regarded as heros by both Mexico and the United States. Also unrecognized, untold numbers of Mexicans, particularly those with relatives in the U.S., flocked across the border and served in all branches of the U.S. military. How many of them were killed is unknown. For those who chose to become U.S. citizens, citizenship was automatic. However, over the years, many returned to Mexico despite their new citizenship. Although the role of Mexicans in combat was minimal, the denial of Mexico as a safe harbor for German submarines was of great importance. Mexican oil also helped fuel the U.S. war machine. With over 6 million American men in the armed forces and thousands of women in the factories, Mexican agricultural workers kept the food chain moving and, as we have already noted, Mexican raw materials were vital to the war effort. The supply was secure from submarine attacks and did not tie up warships in convoy duty. Finally, although they depended on U.S. help to do so, the determination of the Mexican Government to resist the forces that might well have created either a Fascist or Communist Government next door to the U.S., removed the threat of sabotage or across-the-border forays that would, in essence, have necessitated either an American invasion of Mexico or the deployment of large forces to guard its southern border. Either one of these alternatives would have seriously hampered America's march to victory. We can only hope that the U.S. and the Allies will more publicly acknowledge Mexico's assistance during WW II. The Mexicans who shed their blood in the skies over the Philippines, as well as those who volunteered to fight for freedom under the Stars and Stripes deserve no less. Muchas Gracias, Mexicanos. We who know you, salute you.

Hopefully if Your still around reading this, then I've got one question???? Why has Mexico's strong involvement in helping win World War 2 gone by the way side; they are not even mentioned in history books, or in the MSM...History Channel, Discovery Channel, Military Channel, etc............WHY????

Peace,

-Sancho

[edit on 3-9-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
WOW.

I never read that in any history book either.

The kid with the NWO chapter in his book a month or so ago was right!!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
First i have ever heard of it. I wonder if people in Mexico are even aware of this?

I will have to call some relatives this week to quiz them.

Hope this thread stays on topic, but i have a feeling it won't.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That is awesome! I knew the Nazi's tried to get spies through Mexico to the US and that they saw Mexico as a possible ally... but wow I had no idea they were that involved.
Poor Mexico I feel that they could be such a great country if it wasn't so corrupt and over-run by drug lords. You know what... I think Prohibition in the US corrupted Mexico, maybe not though... idk.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Exactly the point, I have never heard this before at all.

reply to post by jam321

I learned of this because right now I'm in the Yucatan on business. Manuel only told me because I asked him a question.

Manuel talking, and mentioned a couple times not really caring for Germans. I asked why, and that's when he told me everything I wrote in the OP.

I thought he was a Mexican high on crack at first, but have researched it since getting back on the computer.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I pretty much thought the contribution of Mexican agricultural workers and labor in the Southwest was pretty much common knowledge, The only figure quoted in the article that I question is the 40% of US raw materials the figure makes no sense considering how much raw material the US was exporting during the WW 2 years. The only source I find for such a figure is the mexconnect article which doesnt give a source for it.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Probably it is the same reason that you and most people do not know that a large portion of "Pancho" Villa's militia was Americans and European countries mercenaries.

Every one thinks they were just Mexican peasants.

Historians write only what they want people to know.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
First i have ever heard of it. I wonder if people in Mexico are even aware of this?

I will have to call some relatives this week to quiz them.

Hope this thread stays on topic, but i have a feeling it won't.

O ya...

My good friend makes a hard core American patriot look like a citizen of the world,
he often points out Mexican/US history.

A phrase is, "We wear our mullets on the inside"
(translation)

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

I have to agree with You regarding what You said. The Mexicans I've been around are fairly passionate in regards to family, and country. They are staunch advocates of both.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Some info I came across

ANAHEIM, Calif., Oct. 21, 2003 – The more than 300 Mexicans who volunteered to help the United States kick the Japanese out of the Pacific islands during World War II are slowing passing on. Only 10 of them are still around.

View larger image......

Only three of them -- two combat pilots and one ground crew member -- were well enough to travel here from Mexico to be honored for their contributions by the Defense Department on Oct. 16 and 17. They were former "Aztec Eagles" pilots, retired Mexican air force Col. Carlos Garduno and Capt. Miguel Moreno Arreola, and ground crewman former Capt. Manuel Cervantes Ramos.

We won the war, but we still want to be winning the peace that we've had since then. "So our sentiments were with the United States to save the freedom that we're still enjoying today," Garduno said.

www.veteranshour.com...

Right-wing reaction was so vehement that just four days after declaring war Mexican President Avila Camacho was forced to parade together, on the balcony of the National Palace, all living ex-Presidents of Mexico. This extraordinary show of national solidarity was meant to cool not only over-heating public debate about Mexico´s war role, but also to assure an expectant but skeptical America of Mexico´s resolve to overcome internal dissent while accepting sizable international responsibilities.

Mexico quickly began fulfilling its wartime commitment to America by providing tens of thousands of agricultural contract workers, tanker-loads of oil and massive amounts of other crucial war materiel.

www.adip.info...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well, hey the thread has gone better so far than You had expected; I think? I didn't know they were called the Aztec Eagles. Interesting to say the least. I just thought this needed it's own thread because it is something not taught in US History.

Sure not that many Mexicans in the war, but my gawd, imagine had they decided to side with the Axis powers; that could have turned the war.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Mexico is not simply in the situation that it is because of corruption and drug lords. That is very insulting and ignorant for you to assume that. Mexico's economic plight is more of a result of international bankers manipulating their currency, thus their economy for decades upon decades.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I remember reading some about it in history class back in the 70's. But there wasn't much detail, aside from Mexico provided alot of oil and some tankers were torpedoed. I guess history books have been revised a bit since then, or just glossed over it.

Escuadron 201 definitely did their part in the Battle of Luzon, losing five pilots and supporting the 25ID and Philippine forces. Not to mention the unknown number of immigrants who came across the border and joined the US military and suffered unknown losses.

Kudo's to all of them and RIP as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

I had no clue of anything until today. I guess I met the grandson of one of the lost five. He was fairly bitter about it, and I can understand it. I was glad to meet him, and glad to know something many know nothing of.

new topics

top topics

join