It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Chief shot by cop in ARK court over tickets...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stigup

That is why you be very loud about it.
Off topic!

Damnit.
I can't believe the FIRE CHIEF was shot!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
In an open court room no less. This is what worries me. I am familiar with the state of mind LEO's have when dealing with the public and when the go to court...but what the hell makes someone, ANYONE, want to kill another human being over a freaking ticket?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

This is no different than the BART Oakland murder case involving a cop under nearly these EXACT same circumstances.

You have a cop who feels as if he is the authority - period!
You have a cop who feels as if someone unworthy is questioning his authority and INSTINCTIVELY carries out the duties of the judge, the jury and the executioner.

They will claim that he was under mental duress.
And he will be let off acordingly.

However, this man needs to hang from the gallows!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Honestly, you may be right. As much as I don't want to think that my brothers in arms could be so callous, it DOES happen.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Oh, I know first hand how certain cops (note the word certain) feel in these matters.
While I was in the military pulling gate guard immediately following 9-11, I had a cop who was pissed off with his assignment of traffic duty walk up to me and thumb off the snap on his holster telling me I needed to HURRY UP my inspection of cars!

He shut up when I pointed an M4 directly at his nose.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
That was a tense moment, I'll tell ya'.
I felt as if I had no choice. He was threatening in his movements.
My job was to neutralize the threat.
All I could say was "Sgt. GET OUT HERE!"
Over and over.

In the end he had to make an apology to my entire squad. They claimed he was under stress from his homelife and that was that.
He was suspended without pay for a week.

That was it.

He threatened unjustified harm to a federal employee.
He was obviously pissed about the whole ordeal. That was actually his second trip to our post. The first time was just some shouting. The second was... well, lets just say he is lucky he didn't get shot. (I mean, my safety was off and my finger was right there... and I was nervous) But I still didn't actually SHOOT THE MAN!

In any event, I have no love lost for these scum and I want to know how to stop it.
But I don't think there is any way!!!!!

This is ridiculous!

[edit on 3-9-2009 by JayinAR]

MBF

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was having a discussion with my county commissioner one day and he was complaining about the new sheriff not writing enough tickets and bringing in enough revenue. I told him that writing tickets was not his primary job, his job is to protect the people and their property from criminals. The new sheriff was making big drug raids right and left and that IS his job, not providing revenue to run the county. One of the deputies that left a while back when we had the old sheriff, told me that it was almost impossible to find an honest cop in the county.

I feel like that even the fed leo's don't do their jobs. I have had a problem with a coc aine dealer that has a gov job. I had him investigated by the Office Of Inspector General. They told me that they had talked to all the people that I had given names and phone numbers to talk to and they could not substantiate my claims. Well, some of these people I have known for 30 years and they came to me with the information, they told they had never been contacted by the OIG. And as for the drug dealing claims, they told me that he had never been involved with drugs. All I had to do was pick up a newspaper and read the article where he had been arrested on a drug trafficking charge as the result of an ongoing investigation. The drug task force told me that they knew he had paid another man to go to jail for him and that he had paid him between $200,000 and $300,000, but they didn't know where he had gotten the money from. That is when I had $75,000 go missing and he had demanded that I repay the loan again. I also know that he made some illegal loans to his friends that the taxpayers had to eat. What good is law enforcement if they don't or will not protect you from the criminals?

[edit on 3-9-2009 by MBF]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

City hall has been shuttered since the shooting, and any records of how the money was spent are apparently locked inside. No one answered when a reporter knocked on the door on Tuesday.

And when they finally open city hall back up the records will have mysteriously disappeared, or have been altered. How can they have their city hall closed down for a week ?! They should bring the feds in on this case, there is so much obvious corruption in this town it's pathetic. No wonder the cops turned bad when all the higher ups were corrupt.

Mayor Helen Adams declined to speak about the shooting when approached outside her home, saying she had just returned from a doctor's appointment and couldn't talk.

Alexander, the judge, has voided all the tickets written by the department both inside the city and others written outside of its jurisdiction — citations that the department apparently had no power to write. Alexander, who works as a lawyer in West Memphis, resigned as Jericho's judge in the aftermath of the shooting, Fairley said. She did not return calls for comment.

Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley said Thursday that he didn't plan to file any felony charges against the officer or Payne. Fairley, reached at his home, said Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the city's judge. He said he didn't remember the name of the officer who fired the shot.

The judge, the mayor, the prosecuter, the cops, they were all in on it. How does the prosecuter not remember the name of the cop that shot the fire chief ! And why would the fire chief face any charge at all, especially after being shot, in the back ?!!! He says it will be up to the judge, what judge, she resigned ?

It's obvious they are trying to cover this whole thing up. Unbelievable that they would shoot the fire chief ! I've heard some really crazy messed up thngs that some LEO's have done, but this one really stinks and it stinks all the way up !

The people of this town need to band together and demand a federal investigation, and demand that the officer that fired the shot be brought up on charges, as well as any others that were part of this corrupt situation.

It's such a shame that the ones that are supposed to protect us, in some cases are the ones we have to fear the most

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
and with this the fire department will get `lost` on the way to a fire involving the police wether at home or the station , the local medicas will also `breakdown` if they attend at all.

those who work in the `industry` know how to play the game.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

As a sidenote, the OIG actually only review federal employee complaints against another. If you are a civilian making a complaint , I have repeatedly seen them ask is this true? No. Then walk away case closed. ESPECIALLY when it comes to TSA.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Why do you label anyone who dislikes LEO as a troll?

My opinion is just as valid as yours. Some would argue that since I'm not an LEO or ex-LEO, my opinion is MORE valid.

With that said- this is just the usual from the swine we pay to enslave our nation.

Why does this crap happen so damned often?

EDIT-
If only this piece of text meant anything...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

We are completely at their mercy, unable to defend ourselves or our freedoms.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by ninecrimes]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

If you are taking the name of troll then I can't help you. We all know what I mean by anti-cop troll, those whose sole purpose is to find a cop thread and post, "I hate pigs!" and don't contribute anything. Obviously since you did more than that you do not fall into that category. And your opinion isn't more or less valid than mine. I simply didn't want this thread turned into a teen angst thread.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by djvexd]

[edit on 4-9-2009 by djvexd]

MBF

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

That sounds like what happened to me. My lawyer requested that I contact them because what had been done to me was obvious and a couple of the people that had info against the man were govt employees that had first hand knowledge of things that he had done.

As soon as I got their determination that they " couldn't substantiate any of my claims", I felt like they went to the man and asked is this true?

I've just filed through the FOIA for all the records of the investigation because I am still fighting the problem, and this has been going on for 10 years now. I just wonder what they will turn up. What do you want to bet they will find no record of the investigation.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

I say the chances are pretty good my friend. It was crap like that that became the reason for my leaving DHS. Good Luck to you my friend and I hope it actually doesn't turn out like it usually does.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

OP I think this is less a strange occurance and more of what is soon to come.

We are living in a police state, and while trying not to "bash cops" I really don't feel any safer. Nor do I feel police have any better judgement than your average citizen. As this case so clearly shows. As that racist police forum that was recently in the news shows.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

To tell you the ABSOLUTE TRUTH. Cops are not racist. Most aren't anyways. But they are called out to mainly minority areas and crimes commited by minorities against others minorities, even thier own. Most criminals, whther black or white or hispanic go for the most vulnerable. Unfortunatley it happens to be the black and hispanic community. Crime has no borders.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

It would appear to me that maybe there is a lack of training here. I know that it's a small town, but the deputies should be answering the calls for service first. That alway's comes first. Traffic enforcement is something that can be handled at another time. With only 174 citizen's I can't imagine that there are a great amount of calls for service anyway. So they can probably run traffic quite a bit. Every cop needs to understand that they work for the citizen's, even when some of those citizen's aren't the most upstanding. Law's are in place for a reason, do things by the BOOK and you'll stay an honest cop. Everyone can respect an honest cop.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
This is absolutely hilarious.

Not that anybody got hurt, but that this "police" force has virtually managed to assist in the destruction of the town.

"You can't even get them to answer a call because normally they're writing tickets," said Thomas Martin, chief investigator for the Crittenden County Sheriff's Department. "They're not providing a service to the citizens."

sheriff's deputies are asking where all the money from the tickets went. With 174 residents, the city can keep seven police officers on its rolls but missed payments on police and fire department vehicles and saw its last business close its doors a few weeks ago.

"You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who left town because he said the police harassment became unbearable.

Here is the pathetic part... the part that pisses people off:

"Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the city's judge."

Attempted murder is a misdemeanor in Arkansas?

Wow...

I understand the OP's desire to have this not turn into an LE bash fest... but time and time again, all you ever hear is "temporarily suspended with pay, exonerated, justified etc..."

A police officer in Foley Alabama, crossed into Florida, drove over 48 miles to a bar that a person that he was known to have had issues with in the past, managed to get into words with him, then shot him stone cold dead. Result? "Justified." All while he was off duty and not related to a case.

And then LE wonders why some people take issue with them. It's an old worn out story.

The Arkansas event reminds me of the small "town" of Wilmer Alabama. It had no less than 5 speed limit changes in one and a half miles. Located along Highway 98, they reveled in the sheer number of tickets that they would issue. I have even seen them pull over a guy on a tractor going from one field to another. Time ran out for Wilmer. They issued one too many citations and either had the town charter pulled, or their police force disbanded by the State. My guess is that they picked the wrong person to issue a citation on.

Lovely Wilmer AL... sans police force: 30°49'24.02"N 88°21'41.03"W

[edit on 10-9-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoofMonkey
This is absolutely hilarious.

Not that anybody got hurt, but that this "police" force has virtually managed to assist in the destruction of the town.

"You can't even get them to answer a call because normally they're writing tickets," said Thomas Martin, chief investigator for the Crittenden County Sheriff's Department. "They're not providing a service to the citizens."

sheriff's deputies are asking where all the money from the tickets went. With 174 residents, the city can keep seven police officers on its rolls but missed payments on police and fire department vehicles and saw its last business close its doors a few weeks ago.

"You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who left town because he said the police harassment became unbearable.

Here is the pathetic part... the part that pisses people off:

"Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the city's judge."

Attempted murder is a misdemeanor in Arkansas?

Wow...

I understand the OP's desire to have this not turn into an LE bash fest... but time and time again, all you ever hear is "temporarily suspended with pay, exonerated, justified etc..."

A police officer in Foley Alabama, crossed into Florida, drove over 48 miles to a bar that a person that he was known to have had issues with in the past, managed to get into words with him, then shot him stone cold dead. Result? "Justified." All while he was off duty and not related to a case.

And then LE wonders why some people take issue with them. It's an old worn out story.

The Arkansas event reminds me of the small "town" of Wilmer Alabama. It had no less than 5 speed limit changes in one and a half miles. Located along Highway 98, they reveled in the sheer number of tickets that they would issue. I have even seen them pull over a guy on a tractor going from one field to another. Time ran out for Wilmer. They issued one too many citations and either had the town charter pulled, or their police force disbanded by the State. My guess is that they picked the wrong person to issue a citation on.

Lovely Wilmer AL... sans police force: 30°49'24.02"N 88°21'41.03"W

I'm confused. I thought Payne was the fire chief who got shot???

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm just quoting the article.

But you are correct... Payne... the fire chief.. is the one who was shot. And he could face the charges.

Re-reading it, it it get even more [very abrasive multipart expletive deleted]

"Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley said Thursday that he didn't plan to file any felony charges against the officer or Payne. Fairley, reached at his home, said Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the city's judge. He said he didn't remember the name of the officer who fired the shot."

Evidently, attempted murder in Arkansas is virtually legal... if you are in the right branch of government.

(Edited an edit of an edit.)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join