It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire Chief shot by cop in ARK court over tickets...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Fire Chief shot by cop in ARK court over tickets...

news.yahoo.com

JERICHO, Ark. – It was just too much, having to return to court twice on the same day to contest yet another traffic ticket, and Fire Chief Don Payne didn't hesitate to tell the judge what he thought of the police and their speed traps.

The response from cops? They shot him. Right there in court.

Payne ended up in the hospital, but his shooting last week brought to a boil simmering tensions between residents of this tiny former cotton city and their police force. Drivers quickly learn to slow to a crawl along the gravel roads and the two-lane highway that run through Jericho, but they
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Now before this gets out of hand, I am an ex fed LEO and I know there are LEO's and ex LEO's here on ATS. I do NOT want this turning into the usual cop bashing thread. If you are an anti-cop troll PLEASE don't post. Let's discuss this as human beings for once. The overall corruption and wrongdoing in this story is astounding. How can an LE agency function like this and not be taken apart? I know in FLA we have the FDLE that oversees agencies. Poorly but still the check is there. What the hell happened here? This needed to be brought out. This is seriously embarrasing to ALL blue liners.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-9-2009 by djvexd]

[edit on 3-9-2009 by djvexd]edit for aggregiious spelling and grammar mistakes..lol

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Glad you brought this up and thought to at least TRY to avoid the cop bashing. I haven't learned that trick yet, because quite honestly, it's just so easy any more.

I found this story pretty disheartening myself. I Am aware of there being 'bad blood' sometimes between different entities charged with the enforcement of laws, or the protection of life. I wonder if it doesn't just contribute to inflated egos when there is such a feeling of empowerment.

It's difficult to look at these stories without perceiving an ever-expanding shift in the way that cops treat other human beings. I know there are far more responsible, considerate and compassionate cops than there are 'bad' cops, but the 'good' cops just don't get the air time. It doesn't sell, I suppose.

I tried, ON PURPOSE one day to find stories about 'good' cops and I found it very difficult to find anything recent. Again, I don't think this is a representation of law enforcement as a whole, but more the sensationalizing of the stories of corrupt, abusive or or just plain criminal cops.

There are web sites devoted entirely to ferreting out bad cops and divisions in police forces whose sole purpose is to do the same thing. It is an undeniable fact that there are crooked cops. The recent trend of media attention makes the number of crooked cops seem disproportional.

There are, of course, many possibilities for why this is so. Media bias and ratings, and good old shock and awe are probably up near the top.

As an ex-leo, I think your insight could be a lot more beneficial to us than mine.

What do you think is happening? Is the increase in reported cases of leo wrongdoing due to media bias, media penetration or just an increase in the overall number of leo's on the street?

Do you think there is a rough baseline that we should be aware of? 1 in 50 cops are bad? I'm not trying to be offensive, I'd just really like to see you expand on the topic a little through the use of your experience.

It seems to me like the number of cops will just keep increasing and if the 'percentage' (if one exists) of 'bad' cops stays constant, we will, of course, see more of the same as you brought up here. It's just the way it is.

Do you think we are screening cops well enough? Do you think the job makes them snap? Is there an attitude amongst leo's that citizens are a 'sub class' as was alluded to in a different thread? Should their be regular psych. evals during a cops career? What do see as a solution?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well great post BTW. Being ex-CBP I was not in the crap that the locals had to deal with. However after I left CBP I did work as a Loss Prevention officer that was allowed hands-on takedowns of shoplifters ( handcuffs included) and had a really good repore with the local officers. I worked ususally in the worst parts of Orlando. To tell you the truth I think it finally wears so much on them that they just approach EVERY stop or call as just BS and the perp is lying to them all the time. I have met those cops. I also have met the ones that haven't adopted that outlook. That being said, this case is absolutely disturbing. To answer your question, I don't think they prepare the officers for the types of repeated calls they get and don't give them the mental tools necessary to handle the ongoing BS day in and day out. Alot of the media is focusing on when these officers do something really stupid when faced with a situation. Am I saying that these stories and articles aren't warranted...no. They are warranted. Things like this only increase the hatred towards officers and to tell you the truth , a rookie faced with the amount of hatred that most cops are nowadays is almost certain to push them more towards the undesirable aspects of thier personality. Most officers go through training and academy thinking they can make a difference. But they soon learn when they are acosted by people who hate them for doing what they were called out for, to be callous. This particular case I think was bad screening if not probably nepotism as it was a small precinct.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There are a lot of jurisdictions that work on the principle of a percentage to the department to make budgets but this is wholesale fraud on the citizens of the community. As a truck driver we see this kind of law enforcement more so than others. Speed traps and inspections for things that are not needed are the norm. That said, the state of Arkansas needs to get with the 21st Century and introduce police standards and see that they are met.
It's fairly plain that this dept. was completely out of hand and the city government sat on their hands and did nothing. They benefited from it and now the citizens should never allow another out of control entity to be established in that town and clean house with their city government!
Zindo

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
When a political system begins to meltdown...it inevitably begins to cannibalize the very people that it once claimed to protect. Eventually it's representatives will have run head on into one another, as has occured in this small town.

When the LTTE, Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, began to crumble, the Tamil people became nothing more than human shields. The food and other Aid that was sent by various organizations was diverted to the fighters and the elderly and sick were left to die.

What occured in Arkansas is a variation of this certain outcome in every case. This town is small, has no businesses and those cops don't want to lose their jobs. For the good of the community however...this will have to happen anyway...How long did they expect to survive off of traffic ticket revenue.

Its a sign of the times to be sure. I just hope LEOs all around the country aren't so full of themselves to not avoid becoming the problem.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I agree with you, there should be better screening and continued psych evaluations every year and by an outside source. I had a run in with a cop where some person called in a drug overdose at my apt. by mistake. When I went to the door (it was 8:30 in the morning) being thoughtful and courteous I said hello and the cop said "Can I come in" but in a threatening manner. Which was he cowed me by repeating again and not explaining why he wanted to come in. He stared me down and I let him in, after that I asked him whats this about and he asked for my ID (tactic of being in control) I gave him my id and after he called it in said sorry and explained that there was an overdose called for this location. I said no problem and he left. The reason why I went through this is because the perceived danger I was in at that moment when he was at the door. There was no witnesses and I didn't have a camera recording in my apt.. I could have said no, but I thought he would listen to reason and wait until I got dressed.

This cop thought I was the enemy from some made up call and didn't think that it was a mistake. He went to 100% action ready to do battle. That is the danger, many of these police officers are being trained to think its THEM against US. Also take into account the type of people that are going into jobs like this. They should be more stable and intelligent. But the types going into this are the ones attracted to power, bullies, and wanabe bullies (oh also people who have been messed with or where powerless in their life). I truly believe that there are alot of good cops, but the good ones in many of the cases are protecting the bad ones because of loyalty. If you want people to respect police again and not literally be afraid of them, they have to start throwing the bad ones out and publicly in order to show they aren't above arresting or firing their own for problems.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Only 174 people live in the entire town. Seven cops with two squad cars...yours are recommendations for a metropolitan police force.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Grady, Arknasas is bad about that kind of stuff, I know that first hand.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This will be dealt with.
That scumbag of a Police Officer needs to be strung up!

This is treason.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Damn, thanks for bringing this story here, OP.
The JUDGE RESIGNED THE BENCH immediately after this and the Police Force was disbanded!

F#ing crooks!
Patrols were given back to the County "until things calm down."

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Alright, what happened here is that the Fire Chief went in to argue FOR HIS SON when his son was given a ticket for no driver's liscense even though the son actually had one, just not on him.

For some reason, the chief went back into the courtroom for this same offense, trying to get the ticket thrown out.

The cop, or the judge (the report isn't quite clear), ordered him to remove his hands from his pockets. I think it was the cop because apparently the chief pulled his hands from his pocket while exclaiming that his pockets were empty.

What happened next is that a FIGHT insued in the court room. I'm guessing it is this tactic you see amongst crooked cops where they demand that you do something that you are not required to do and when it pisses you off to the point you react somewhat suddenly in objection/complaince... Then the cop assaults you.

Anyhow, there were seven cops in the courtroom and one of the assholes shot him in the back of the hip.

The officer involved in the fight was also shot in the hand.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think that what you see here is evidence of a racket being run by the judge and the police.
The chief was shot... for why I don't know.

I don't know what I can do but try my best to make this story public in the eyes of my fellow Arkansans and demand that these people be brought to justice. I'll be contacting my representatives AND the county tomorrow.

The Judge was in on it... guaranteed. If he/she wasn't he/she wouldn't have resigned immediately after.

This actually happened last month. Why aren't these things national news?

Because this is becoming a police state, that is why.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Can you post a link to this? If this is the case it just got even worse. Is there a vid?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

This isn't "official" information, but here it is.
www.policecrime.com...

I'll work to get the "official" story tomorrow, during business hours.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I am sorry, didn't mean to ask you for proof...I misread your post brother.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Eh, no worries.
This is deeply disturbing. I have actually crossed referenced that with another source, but I don't have it pulled up any longer.

I think that that website is basically stating what is known officially at this point.

I can't believe the Judge Resigned the Bench!
Holy smokes!

THIS should be making national headlines, but it is a month removed!

I hadn't heard anything about this!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm sick of these cops handing out as many tickets as they can because they have budget problems! I think it's time the people take back what's rightfully theirs and that is this GOD DAMN COUNTRY! Today I just got a seat belt ticket and speeding ticket. The cop was driving down the street and was at the stop sign and I turned and he made a u-turn followed me and then pulled me over and said I was doing 45 in a 30. I then asked him if he had a radar and he said yes. I then requested to see it since they are required to lock in the speed once they catch you and I THOUGHT the driver was entilted to see the radar if they requested. Anyways he denied my request and told me he didn't have to show me anthing. These tickets aren't cheap neither ...how is anyone suppose to get ahead in life with all these SETBACKS.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by stigup]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stigup

You can get the ticket thrown out in court.
He IS supposed to show you his evidence.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yes I am hoping so .....but you know it's just my word against theirs.....Who do you think the judge is going to side with? I'm going to hire a traffic lawyer and see if he can help me out...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join