It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google mirror beats Great Firewall of China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   

China's widely criticised blocking of the web's most popular search engine Google can be defeated by viewing a strange Google mirror site through a mirror, New Scientist has discovered.

The mirror site, called elgooG, is a parody of the English language version of Google in which all the text on the web pages has been reversed. The text terms used for searches are also entered in reverse. The site, which returns all the same hits as Google, can be accessed from behind China's "great firewall".

Read More: Full Story

And the Mirror Site: elgooG

Weird man. Check out the link, what do you think�

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by vaswegpg]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   

This is the coolest thing ever. For those of you who may not be too technical, there's a concept in the Web world called mirroring. This is a way that popular sites spread out their bandwidth demands across other sites, usually hosted by folks who are willing to help with the bandwidth burden. There is typically an exact copy of the site hosted somewhere besides the original location.

elgooG gives a whole new meaning to mirroring. It makes the concept quite literal. Someone took Google and literally created a mirror image of it. Everything is backwards -- the text, the input, the results. It's super-impressive. And it works.

For example, a search for gabe anderson yields only 3 results, as if I had typed in my name backwards in the real Google. And the results are accurate: The first result is a site that lists names and their mirrored spellings. But a correctly mirrored search for nosredna ebag yields my site at the top of the results.

Stare at this mirror too long and you may find yourself going a bit nutty. Even the browser scrollbar jumps to the left-hand side of your screen.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by vaswegpg]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yeaht hat's awesome i love it

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I think if China doesn't want google to be accesible, it shouldn't be viewed in china.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
I think if China doesn't want google to be accesible, it shouldn't be viewed in china.

Why? Should any government have the right to dictate what information their citizens have access to?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
So is this the expalanation as to why Chinese is such a difficult backwards language??

new topics

top topics

join