It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheese a good food source for Survival

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mweiss

Also, don't be to quick to judge unpasteurized cheeses. It often taste better, and has more nurtients.

I tried Kefir once and had a hard time getting it down. Yuck

I don't mind unpasturized cheese, but it is very illegal in Alberta to make cheese from unpastuerized milk. Farmers can goto jail for supplying you with the milk, and even they have to hand over the milk from the cows to the corp for "processing" and can not keep any back. Now if you have a small plot of land and a couple of cows/goats your ok, just don't get caught and don't register as a dairy producer.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'll pass on the cheese making process. I have a small stash of canned cheese and Yoder's canned meats in my war chest. The stuff id really pretty good.

www.campingsurvival.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I'll pass on the cheese making process. I have a small stash of canned cheese and Yoder's canned meats in my war chest. The stuff id really pretty good.

I have some also but I am planning on long term survival. If you survive the comming SHTF then drop by and I'll trade with you. I make a mean cheese and I figure it'll be a good trade item.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Cheers to you! I love cheese. I liken the cheese making process to that of making home brew beer. A lot of work with a great reward (patience is key). Beer and cheese go hand in hand so you better get cracking on the cheese and I'll bring the beer

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Interesting! I thought cheese would be best too but never knew how to make it! Supposedly the Norse Greenlanders survived winter with nothing but milk/cheese and dried fish!

I need my own cheese supplies and vodka distellery and then who cares about the apocalypse!!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

It is a great way to have access to dairy over a winter. Traditionally in the middle ages they made cheese in the summer and fall and ate it over the winter and spring before the cows started producing again. Most old cultures used cheese as a winter store. It has protein and nutrients that are hard to get from hard tack, porridge or salted fish. Of course I admit I'm fond of a slice of salted smoked fish (samon) a little bit of cheese all on a piece of fresh unlevened bread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join