It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the limit and cost to increasing Human Capabilities with technology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
At what cost would the advancement of our capabilities through the use of technology be?

Do you see a future of cybory like people or a future of people playing god with genetics like in Gattaca or a race of humans dependent of nanotechnology to help maintain us.

Do you see immortality on the horizon?

here's a site to make you think:
www.transhumanism.org...

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Immortality is only gonna happen if Jesus makes his triumphit return.

I am all about improving the human body to suit one's lifestyle. For me I already got some webbing now if I could just get some gills..................

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The return of Jesus has nothing to do with what he is talking about. Using technology to increase the potential of human capabilities is a topic getting a great deal of attention right now. The only question is whether or not it is ethical to use this technology, considering the cost that would be associated with it. It could end up being another case of the rich getting richer, as they might be the only ones who can afford to pay for these technologies. Is it right that only some people should be able to better themselves just by having access to new technology?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The limit: Physical Modification.

The Cost: An exchange of one mental prison for another.

I don't see immortality on the horizon, as even machines need maintenence.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
They may need maintenance over time, but that doesn't mean that they are not able to be fixed. Any machine could be fixed with the right equipment. I'm not saying that immortality is on the horizon, but simply stating that it is impossible just because machines need maintenance doesn't make much sense.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by darkAngel

It's totally dependant on what you mean. But you will have to research this. In the future i believe it will definitely be possible to keep a human alive forever. If you analyze the basic principles of our body parts it is feasible.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Immortality;

1. immortal condition or quality; unending life.
2. enduring fame.

The unabridged dictionary @ dictionary.com.

If you want to get technical about it, then a machine could never truly acheive immortality because immortality is something that requires sentient life to acheive.

I think perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way - instead we may be better served by looking at biological technologies for an answer as opposed to an engineering one.

Of course, we could mix the two and create bio-engineering.

Regardless, my assertion is that anything that requires exterior maintenence is not immortal.

sty

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
there is no limit of what can be done , or at least our actuall level is too small to sense any limit.
step 1) redesign the dna, still biological
step 2) redesign the DNA by combining artifficial forms of DNA

once we learn to produce DNA and adapt it to our own DNA, we can design super-processors to be a part of our brain from birth. Speed learning would also allow us to learn gygabites of information in no time..
the only trouble is to actually not get extinct within the next 100 years..

sty

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

a well-designed DNA should be self-mentaining. The only age limit should be the life spam of the Universe itself. Of course, if we manage to find the right source of energy for this long..

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty

a well-designed DNA should be self-mentaining. The only age limit should be the life spam of the Universe itself. Of course, if we manage to find the right source of energy for this long..

It will take a long time in order for us to acheive that level of self-sufficiency, as after all we will still be vulnerable to disease and wounds, which will require exterior assistence if the individual whom is suffering is incapacitated for the time being.

And of course, once we reach the level of indestructable immortality, what then?

Do we fight amongst ourselves for the rest of eternity?

sty

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Well, when we will have enough technology to re-design our DNA hopefully we will become smart enough to not fight forever haha. I never met someone that would be let say 1 000 000 times more intelligent than our days averahe human, so we do not know what would that mean anyway ..

top topics

join