It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Miss the Speech? You're a Terrorist!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This is purely speculation, as this IS a CT website, right? I'm not a doctor, or a lawyer, or a school administrator. I'm just a parent and an American.

There has been a lot of concern and argument about an impending speech by President Obama given to our nation's children. The divide between posters in these discussions is apparent. It's not unexpected given the various levels of acceptance of, of disdain for the current administration.

We have ALL witnessed the increase in the groups that are being labeled as 'right-wing', 'left-wing', 'low-level terrorists', 'possible terrorists', 'America Haters'....you know the list goes on. (Our Vets, anyone with an opinion that differs from the administration's, anyone who speaks out with questions about the policies and actions of the administration and anyone who fears the further encroachment upon our liberties.)

What I'm suggesting may sound a little odd, but I think it's possible.

If you are the President, and you want to find out who is WITH you, and who is AGAINST you, how do you intend to do that without drawing too much attention to your actions? You've tried the 'rat on your neighbors' email address and almost got run out of town. You need a way to be more discreet.

Enter the CHILDREN. With your captive audience of millions of our children, you can launch a two-pronged assault. If we allow our children to stare at you for an hour and soak up how wonderful you are, you have planted the seed in them that they should be suspect when someone speaks out against you. Part one.

If we keep our children OUT of school that day, as MANY are planning to do, that is very convenient for you. You now have a list of EVERY student who was not in class for your speech that day and all of the information you need to add their parents to the incredibly long list of people you have decided are 'enemies' of your administration.

You win either way that way, don't you? Know thine enemy, isn't that right?

I'm telling you guys that this is going to take some creativity to circumvent, and I don't have an answer for it.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The answer is to talk with your kids. You think the president has more influence than parents over a grade schooler? No. Kids in elementary school believe what their parents tell them

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

i generally agree with you but man did you see the video of school kids pledging allegiance to the flag and there was a big picture of obama in the front ... ick not to mention that video of the kids singing "Yes we can" i mean i do agree with you that the parents will end up winning ... its still dangerous

[edit on 3-9-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I already thought about this same thing. I figure this gives him a list of all those who are likely to not follow blindly and stand up to him.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I agree that all one needs to do is take an active role in the interests of their child and keep an open dialogue with them over all things.

However, I'm not sure if children necessarily believe everything their parents tell them. From the moment they discover that the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and other mythological figures are not real, they are far less credulous towards what their parents tell them than a parent may want to admit. As far as I'm concerned, however, that is a good thing, because in order for them to Question Authority they have to question mine too.

As far as the OP, I believe the point was that keeping our child out of school for the Presidential Address may get you labeled and put on a list.

Well, government agencies do like making their lists, and I'm sure I'm on quite a few of them myself. It certainly doesn't bother me in the least to fear that I might be on yet one more. Although personally, I won't be keeping my child home from the Presidential Address. She's excited about it and after explaining her reasons as to why I fully support her interest in our Country and our Political Process.

We are talking about the POTUS here. Whether he is a member of my political party or an opposing party doesn't matter. Whether I agree with all, or most, or some, or none of his policies doesn't matter. Like it or not, he is our duly elected Commander-In-Chief. I respect the position, even if I don't respect any man who may be in that position at any given point in time. I'll listen to what he has to say, and have no qualms with my child listening to what he has to say, but when it comes down to it, when all is said and done, I have the right to my own opinions, just as my child has a right to their own opinions.

If you trust that you have raised your child well, to be discerning and armed with reason, then what is there to fear in letting your child listen to the POTUS give a speech?

And if the OP is correct, perhaps some have more to fear by not letting them watch and listen!

But in the very least, you should fear losing your child's respect if you make your child miss the speech. Even if your child could care less about politics or what the POTUS has to say to them, they are going to resent that you embarrassed them and how you are dictating how to live their life and what to believe or not to believe.

For people who talk about Tyranny and Dictatorship in the Federal Government, it's funny that those who protest loudest are the ones who commit acts of Tyranny and Dictatorship in their own families and homes!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Know thine enemy. I'm going to watch it, and see what they are planning. I'm in highschool, not grade school though, so I don't know if they'll play it there. I really want to see what there trying to shove into our heads... I hope they play it hear.

Edit: I didn't read it well, you already said that know thine enemy.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Phlynx]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

As usual Frat, you make good sense.

Thank you for your input.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I checked our school district's website today, and the speech is not going to be broadcast at all. Thank goodness. Now I don't have to decide whether to keep my son out that day or not. He already thinks for himself and understands what is going on. I think that the speech would just irritate him further.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Keeping your children from being indoctrinated in public schools is like keeping yourself from being mugged in the ghetto: being properly armed helps, but sometimes the best thing to do is start looking for a way out.

"The sense of justice springs from self-respect; both are coeval with our birth. Children are born with an innate sense of justice; it usually takes 12 years of public schooling and 4 more years of college to beat it out of them."
-Edward Abbey

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Firestorm_]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Firestorm_

So true! It's amazing how much crap gets shoved into their little heads in just a few hours. I am so glad my son at almost 17 is too stubborn to believe everything he hears. We discuss lots of issues.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My kids are in 4th grade and I was at parents night listening to the social studies teacher talk about what she was going to teach them. She IS going to cover politics. I bristled. I have no idea what her views are and really, I don't want CURRENT politics taught to my children.

A good friend and I, who, has polar opposite views to mine agreed. She is also an elementary school teacher. Our kids are in the same class.

My kids have discussed the presidents since they were tiny. I think you underestimate parents ability to teach their kids their own beliefs. My kids are naturally suspicious of Obama and his policies as they know how much I am against them. I explained the whole taxing and giving to others things and my kids were aghast because to their little minds, it is not *fair*.

So, if they show it to my kids, they will not become drones to it. They will see it from suspicion to begin with

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
These days is almost seems to be if you have ANY dissent against the Government either the US or the UK, then you could be classed as a terrorist, The Government are using the 'terrorist' label to instill fear into the public, simply because as IMO when 9/11 happened everyone felt as if they would be next to have a plane crash onto them.
That fear is perpetuated day in and day out in the media , Terrorist here, terrorist there, this terror act and that terror act, there is never a day going by without a plot to kill 'innocents' in the papers. it's ALL a ploy to get you trusting the Government and to welcome any restriction on your freedoms to 'limit terrorist movements' of course..

Now rant over , if you train your kids to uphold honour and honesty then you are a homegrown terrorist planning the downfall of YOUR government which is actually THEY'RE Government. Train your children to be good citizens and your ok by them, train them ANY OTHER WAY and your a terrorist. The choice is YOURS to make. Make it now before it becomes TOO LATE...

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I really think at this point Obama is trolling the country. Literally trolling I mean look at the rediculus hub bub this is spurring on. christ.

top topics

join