It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Everywhere in the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The basic jist of the article found at this link

www.spacedaily.com...

claims that the requirements for life can be found everywhere in the universe due to the RNA and DNA being spread by things like comets.

Ok, that makes sense but how do the comets acquire the genetic material in the first place?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The chemistry that underlies life on Earth is abundant throughout the universe -- in comets, in the interstellar medium, in the atmospheres of planets, in the outer solar system bodies and in living organisms, an astrophysicist told United Press International.
"If these are made everywhere, perhaps life is everywhere," said Emma Bakes, a principal investigator with NASA's Ames Research Center in California and with the SETI Institute. SETI stands for the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.

"You have the chemical foundation spread throughout the entire galaxy," she said. "We're not special. I would bet -- if I had a million dollars -- I would bet that life is widespread across the universe."

more at www.spacedaily.com...

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I hope and pray they are just slowing leaking stuff to prep the world for the big announcement, contact has been made.

Who on this website wouldn't want concrete proof of us making contact with extraterristerials?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Well i know i would want to be told for good or bad to get myself prepared in some way

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I am ready for the truth. No need preping me, it is the 95% of others that would be shocked if the beans were spilled all at once. This is just speculation.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I am ready for the truth. No need preping me, it is the 95% of others that would be shocked if the beans were spilled all at once. This is just speculation.

Same here, I wonder what would happen� to the religious people and others�

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The religious people would just want to have another war, what else do they do..??

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   
It's old news.
Scientists have said for years that every chemical that is in your body is in most stars.

God

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I may be misquoting or jumbling stuff up but, my astronomy teacher from a couple of years ago said something like this:

All life started from stars. The iron on earth and the iron in are blood can only be made in stars.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We may just be big bang children, and everything else on earth too, but the conditions for intelligent life, may be as rare as element 112 ;-)

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Even rare is enough to have plenty of life... When one thinks about the huge size of the universe (infinite maybe even?) and the absolutely incredibly high number of galaxies, hence planets around sun-like stars, it becomes less rare. Even if it is remote and then difficult for us to find, well, I guess there are simply billions of lifeforms in billions of star systems around us...

And, also, I think even people who admit being prepared for the reality of extraterrestrial contact could well be shocked...

Anecdotic story to back that feeling... A friend of mine, as a kid, was living in a very small village in the country of Belgium. All local people, you know that kind of village style life. One day, he was about 4 or 5 years old, his parents took him to Paris on a day trip, and they visited the Eiffel tower. He was absolutely shocked when he saw a black person. He simply had never seen one. And obviously he knew already that they existed, in Africa!

What I mean is, knowing about the possibility that one day we could just see them is not maybe enough for us to be really prepared to face them. Aren't we sometimes really scared by an ugly person or distorted face or serious wounds? We know though that it exists, but the first confrontation is often a shock. Just my 5 cents contribution...

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This sounds like a "our bodies are holograms" article I read a while ago, stating that we can move anywhere, we just need to learn how to harness our DNA's true power.

Not really sure how our current DNA can be moved, but I believe that comets and whatnot contain some form of genetic material, and I like the point someone made about 'the announcement is coming'.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If we consider that the Cosmos is infinate, then wouldn`t it reason that Universes are infinate, galaxies are infinate, solar systems are infinate, stars are infinate as well, then planets would be considered infinate, then that would mean life is infinate, then we would have to assume that intelligent life is infinate. Wow, the work 'infinate' is big huh?

There is supposed to be around 100 Billion galaxies in the obervable universe. They each contain something like 100 Billion stars. That would mean that there are about 10 thousand billion billion Stars in the OBSERVABLE universe.

How many universes in the whole cosmos???

We cannot be the only little grain of sand out there with intelligent life.... eh?

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Galaxies are accelerating away from one another so eventually life for any galaxies on an evolutionary scale will be quite depressing. It is going to be a cold lonely life eventually where you will look up at the sky and see nothing but black. We will be a galaxy billions of light years away from the next galaxy making it a solitary life.
Unfortunately there is also the chance in 50 million years as the galaxy speeds up rotation and dark energy increases we may become a very flat ring shaped galaxy forcing all solar systems to line up out of sight from one another. Of course some scientists believe before our galaxy completely goes flat it may collide with the Andromeda galaxy. That could be a very violent experience. Don't worry though we still have at least 50 million years. Essentially, the point I am making is if we become a lone galaxy we may be able to support around 100 million civilizations.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Raphael]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Raphael we will still see our galaxy and our companions andromeda and i forgot the name of the other one. Beyond our galactic cluster will be black.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sorry, it looks like my estimate was of... according to Space.com is says... www.space.com...

Astronomers announced today that there are 70 sextillion stars in the visible universe, or some 70 thousand million million million. That's a 7 followed by 22 zeros.

The figure paints an inadequate picture of the scope of the cosmos, however.

Other scientists have previously tried to pin down this most elusive of astronomical numbers. The new figure is 10 times more accurate than previous attempts, according to those who made it. Still, the researchers admit that it is just an estimate, based on surveying only a small patch of sky.
"This is not the total number of stars in the universe, but it's the number within range of our telescopes, said Simon Driver of the Australian National University. "The real number could be much, much larger still -- some people think it is infinite."

Now, the question... how many earths? This questions seems to have somewhat of an answer... scientists feel that it is about 30 Billion Earths in our Galaxy....
Here is the article.....www.space.com...

new topics

top topics

join