It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unarmed Fire Chief Shot by Cop in Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

JERICHO, AR - A small Arkansas town is without their fire chief. He's recovering at The MED after he was shot in court by a police officer. The courtroom chaos happened Thursday, August 27, 2009 in Jericho, a tiny town of 200 just north of Marion.

Link to Source

Crime scene tape still surrounds Jericho City Hall where Chief Don Payne was shot in court by officers while trying to argue a traffic ticket.

“They gave his son a ticket for no driver's license. He had a license, he just didn't have it on him at the time,” said Samuel Harris.

Many in the small town argue police officers are handing out tickets just to pad the city's coffers. Harris was at the courtroom before Payne was shot. He says Payne was trying to stick up for his son, and get the ticket dismissed.

“He came back to ask why they gave him a ticket. He got into an argument,” Harris said.

Harris says the officer who handed out the ticket was in court. He says the officer and Payne started fighting.

“When they told him to take his hands out of his pockets, he said, ma'am I don't have anything in my pockets. He put his hands up. After he took he hands out, they got into a scuffle,” Harris said.

“One of the officers got shot in the hand, and he got shot in the back of the hip,” said Larry Harris.

Harris says he hopes the officers are punished.

“I don't understand why they had to shoot him if there were 7 police officers in the courtroom and he's only one man, and he's not armed, I don't understand why they shot him,” Samuel Harris said.

Payne is recovering at The MED. His wife says he had to have surgery on his hip. She's hoping he can get out by next week.

We tried to contact the Crittenden County Sheriff's Department for more information on the investigation. Our calls were not returned.

I'm a little torn on this one, as usual. I guess I wish that a Fire Chief and A cop could have behaved themselves a little different, especially in court. Not really sure why a cop would have to shoot an unarmed man, in court, when there were apparently quite a few officers there.

I just don't get the seemingly nation-wide deterioration of decorum and respect for one another. Why not just taze the Fire Chief? I guess that'll teach him to keep his mouth shut and let his son work through his legal issues.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Sounds like the public need to be armed and the authorities need to have their toys taken away.

wth seriously...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Not really sure why a cop would have to shoot an unarmed man, in court, when there were apparently quite a few officers there.

Probably because they were afraid the fire chief would whoop all of they're a@^es.

One more notch added for my disgust of our law enforcement. Nothing more then sanctioned thugs on a power trip.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
normally police and fireman have a bit of respect for each other, but not in this case. Most court rooms i go to, the police are not allowed to carry their weapons, there are police on duty to protect the courthouse. Only they are allowed to have weapons. That way, no one can just do a gun grab on some random officer walking down the hall or anyone can just get a police uniform and carry a weapon in there and start shooting people. It is not hard to impersonate a officer, just go to any gay BDSM bar, you'll see plenty of men in convincing police uniforms. They actually research how the uniform is worn and wear it to the T, but just barely legal. When cops become revenue agents for the city/state, thats when things start falling apart.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
wow.. id love to see the video of this

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmaidslave
When cops become revenue agents for the city/state, thats when things start falling apart.

I appreciate your take on this, MMS.

It made me think of how they used to call them 'revenuers' back in the moonshine days....very interesting. I'm really surprised they don't just have credit card machines in their cars. That would save a lot of time.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Seriously, if a courtroom full of police and a fire chief is not safe, where is there that is safe in America?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Tiny town.
Anything could have been going on behind the scenes as well. Maybe some friction from some other professional OR personal event. But the news WOULD intentionally leave that part out, because ...it wouldn't be as interesting as leaving the reasons to the readers. Keeping them interested. Maybe.

haha.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Seriously, if a courtroom full of police and a fire chief is not safe, where is there that is safe in America?

not really seein' it (the 'safe' place, that is) ..church, court, school, hospital, wal-mart...all scenes of killings and beatings.

When you stated your question the way you did, I don't know why, but it made me think of the fox guarding the hen house, but the fox has lots of 'brothers.'

It felt different to me when it was a certain neighborhood, or part of town, or bar that I was supposed to stay away from.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Let me re-phrase it...

Now they are even shooting each other, how can we possible be safe? Wasn't it just last week that some cop in Texas kidnapped another cop?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Let me re-phrase it...

Now they are even shooting each other, how can we possible be safe? Wasn't it just last week that some cop in Texas kidnapped another cop?

Yup, just last week. I guess maybe they'll eat their own.

I work with both cops and firefighters all the time. It's really kinda funny how much animosity exists in the rank and file of each towards the other...never really understood it...I was comparing the command structure of the PD to that of the FD today, as part of examining a technical issue and I thought the firefighter was going to come unglued.
Don't suppose I blame him tho. EMTs are the same way...none of them guys can get along.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Jail? Nevermind, probably not the safest either. School. Nope. Ask the kids, they'll tell you about knives and guns and intimidation. Your own home? Maybe, maybe not. Church? No again. I give up. There is no "safe" place anymore. The world has gone completely crazy. Or is it just information overload that makes it seem that way.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Let me re-phrase it...

I think a big thing to remember, is that "people" are still behind the uniforms. They have other issues as well. As society pressure mounts, that can easily be coupled with home issues, private problems etc etc.

One thing I've noticed lately is with all these shootings, tasings, etc...is the mental breakdown of society. People are "flipping out" all over. Not just "officials". Look at that dude from Canada that killed that guy on the bus and started cuttin him up, putting fingers in his pockets etc. Same thing happened on a subway in NY.

Plus in my profession, I can tell..I am seeing A lot more of peoples "elevators" make it to the top floor...but the elevator doors are stuck..opening and closing...haha.

A lot of these new police officers were kids in a time where Ritalin was given to the kids of the 80's like candy. haha. Maybe there is a connection there.

new topics

top topics

join