It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Save the Queen - of Australia, Canada, and NZ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

I love that you're taking an interest in the structure of our societies... thats a good thing.

I for one am a "republican" in the Australian sense. (Not to be confused with the american GOP - which is as far from our spectrum of politics as... well.. i wont go there.)

Australia has voted in 2000 in a referendum whether or not to adopt the model put forward through consultation and the answer was no, so for now there is no "republic".

But to be fair, the queen rarely (if ever), meddles in australian government. She acts on advice from the governor-general only, as her representative.

But while that is the case at them moment, we havent ruled out another referendum on the matter.

Its nice to see genuine interest and curiosity about our countries and by all means, ask away if you have any other questions.

I would ask you a question though... why does America allow it's corporations to grab its people by their proverbials and hold them to ransom? One only has to look at the past 12 months for evidence of that... and what has been done about it?

I for one am more worried about the power of the companies and corporations at work, globally, and what we can do to reign in their aggressive takeover of our way of life by stealth and in plain sight...

lets regulate the bastards till they cry home to mommy...

Dave

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel

Originally posted by Whine Flu
New Zealand here.

Who's the queen?

She's that woman with the crown on her head as depicted on your coins.

Funny cause one of your national anthems is God save the Queen, and you don't know who she is?

I think he (?) was meaning that it really is of no import to us, in everyday life.

Yes, we have two anthems but never use the 'God Save the Queen' one (as far as I know or have experienced). Rather we use the old Methodist Dirge 'God Defend New Zealand' (with it's requisite and companion Maori version) which was wriytten by Thomas Bracken....

So,although officially we have two national anthems, one has more-or-less been consigned to the rubbish bin of History.

Info

Thomas Bracken

[edit on 4-9-2009 by aorAki]

[edit on 4-9-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

It was a joke. I know who she is, but what I meant by that was that she has no control over anyone of us here.

lol, yeah I was just joking too. My fault for not using a simley

edit to add:

@ aorAki

Yes I know this. I have Zew Nealand relatives but it's great you pointed that out, cause not everyone knows this.

Apologies for making lame jokes...

[edit on 4-9-2009 by yizzel]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Oh whoops. Yeah, I've joked around without emoticons before and things do tend to get pretty ugly without 'em.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by eMachine
Why haven't you guys told the Queen to go [expletive] herself yet?

In the same line of thinking, perhaps Commonwealth citizens should tell you to go [expletive] yourself?

Your hate is culturally irrational and insulting. That's about it.

You don't want to come here now? Good - we don't want you anyway.

[edit on 4/9/09 by YourForever]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I wouldn't say I respect the Queen at all, actually. I'm just glad that the Maoris of NZ put up a brave fight against them. Something that a lot of indigenous people didn't do.

Well, assuming that the Maori are the indigenous dudes of NZ. Others would speculate this. At least the put up a good fight, though.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Flee from US? Singapore is good for you (I assume you know that english is official language here, even if it's Singlish (Singapore English)).

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I haven't felt like a subject of the Queen's since high school.

At every assembly.... they used to make us all sing "God Save the Queen".

It was a tradition that was running for over 100 years, but in the 1990's - kid's weren't so crazy about it, including myself.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I'm a royal subject? geez who knew

Seriously though, the British royal fam means diddly to me the only decent one to marry into it died, or was murdered

I cant even remember the last time we even saw old Queenie? we don't see her all that much- maybe once in a blue moon

Not sure if you should be worried but I've heard old Queenie is buying up big in Colorado

And OP, it's okay we don't want your respect- you should maybe reserve that for the closest thing you have to royality- Paris Hilton, lol

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

I find it interesting that you would use a forum such as this to try to elicit (?) a response on what you had originally said. This smells of tabloid papers usual crap... and maybe in a slightly darker field.

Should one go out and say that americans should "rise up in revolution" against the POTUS, you would have an equally vehement response.

You claim to be learning, but if in the instance you have a basic knowledge then that should be enough... This whole thing reeks of tabloid sensationalism and I feel we are, as the residents of this board, being used; to give colour and substance to something which has been settled hundreds of years ago...

Cheap.... very cheap.

Shall we start with the crimes your POTUS as his commander in chief status, allows your country to inflict on others in the name of freedom, democracy and the "american way", attrocities, like those I cannot bring myself to mention? Im finding this thread extremely offensive and would hope that this gets moved to a more deserving area...

pretty disgusted,
Dave

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The Royal Family are nothing more than parasites on the back of the British people. The only decent person to grace the Royal Family was Princess Diana and look what happened to her. She did more for charity and humanitarian causes than the entire Royal Family put together. The sooner we step on and crush these parasites, the better.

We also have the lamest national anthem on the face of the Earth. "God save the Queen". It should be, "Land of hope and glory". Maybe someday it will be, once we have rid ourselves of these parasites.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by kindred]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The Queen of the UK has never legally been the head of state of Australia. The legal framework that the settlement/invasion of the land of geographic Australia was based on has been overturned in the High court of Australia in the Mabo case 1992.

www.mabonativetitle.com...

The UK used the term 'terra nullius' ie unoccupied land as the basis for it's acqusition of sovereignty over the continent. The Mabo ruling proved what everybody already knew, that the entire continent and the islands of the torres strait were occupied thus removing the foundation of British Sovereignty in Australia.

Experiment with this yourselves Australians. If you end up in court or get a fine. Request that the court prove its legal jurisdiction to operate within whatever indigenous nation you may be in. They can't do it. If it's just a minor charge you'll often get let off with an annoyed warning.

Here's a video explaining it better.

from sovereignty to treaty

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Australian here.

Most of us really do want a republic, particularly since the 70s when the Queen stepped in and removed a democratically elected government from power. Ever since then the Republican movement has been very strong, and its considered inevitable in Australian politics that we will have a Republic within the next 20 years or so.

There was a referendum on it in 1999, but many Republicans voted against it because the Republican movement itself is divided as to what model should be implemented - most people who wanted a republican, and even republican movement members voted "no" because we did not like the model that the government had chosen for the referendum question (essentially the exact same system we have now, but with a president instead of a queen). Most of us would prefer something where we elect the president ourselves, and many of us do not want the president to simply be a figurehead - I would say this is in large part due to the massive cultural and political influence the US has had on Australia since the 50s.

There is bipartisan support for a republican now though, and support for it is very high. The current plan is to let the people decide in a series of plebiscites what model would be used, and then vote on that in a referendum. The current government though wants to use republicanism as a token for their next election campaign coming up soon, so they want it as a "second term issue."

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In Australia we don't recognise families or lineage at all. It all comes down to who can fart the loudest, who can piss up a brick wall the highest and who can drink the most beer the fastest. An Ex Prime Minister Bob Hawke holds a record for speed drinking beer!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kindred

I am surprised you think this way after I looked at your profile information.There not parasites,far from it

I would trust them over this country a lot more than I would those liars in westminster.There does seem to be an almost reverse snobbery when some people look at the royals and those with money ect

Not implying that your that way.I personaly dont care a lot for the queen,but I think the family does a lot for our country.They are held with great respect from many world leaders,and who knows the secrets this blood line keeps!

The Americans have already got royal families,when you kicked our king out of your country you decided to worship a president for fixed terms.Or the Kennedy and bush families or whatever else floats your boat.Just like you lot over the pond may feel sick at the sight of people turning up in high numbers to adore the queen and family I am amazed at your worship of politicians at election rallies and far beyond

Your royal family is those few big names I mentioned,and unlike our queen I know damm well there not honest and will start wars for any excuse to feather their nests a little further

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bronco73

Here is what you might not get Bronco and all most no one in the United States gets this either.

First it's not about what is in your Constitution it's about what is in the Treaty that led to you being able to have a Constitution.

Second if anything in the treaty makes any reference to Secret Committee or Sealed in Secret Committee, the Sealed in Secret Committe doesn't actually mean it's just tucked away some place where no one can get at it or get to it, it means it's signed by all parties as in Sealed by them as in agreed upon by them and tucked away out of sight because it's a secret.

Who are such things a secret between? The Monarchs, and the Courts and the head of the Bodies involved. Do you know who the most powerful person in the U.S. House of Representative and Senate is? It's not a politician it's the Sgt at Arms. He would be the person who if requested by whome he takes his oaths of office too could walk on over to the Library of Congress and say please fetch such and such document for me you will find it on such and such shelf, numbered and titled such and such way. It might be secret but it doesn't make it any less legally binding because at the end of the day every one you would rely on to stop it being evoked has all taken the same oaths of office to the same courts to uphold all legally binding documents.

There are two truths so to speak, the truth fed to the free ranging mass of slaves that love to pretend they have self determination and self rule and another set of truth, for the actual owners of the free ranging mass of slaves and the physical property that they really have physical title too that's tucked away. Play nice with others, create no problems, pay your taxes and the Monarchs and owners don't really care what illusions you create, fail to and out come the dusty old documents pulled by someone armed and with the power to incarcerate even if you happen to be a Senator, Prime Minister or President and the Monarchs and owners bring all the weight of their wealth and prestige and legal binding instruments down on you like a sack of potatoes.

You can pretend otherwise, you are 'free' to pretend otherwise, but in reality here on Slave Planet Earth even in the United States of America that the English Royals still control our money for us by Secret Committee and Secret Parts of the Treaties all you really are is 'free to pretend' and 'free to pay taxes'.

The Constitutions and such aren't really set up to be these wonderful living documents that give you freedoms and rights, they are set up to protect landowners, property owners, bankers, and creditors.

As long as all those people are being properly looked after it makes no never mind to the Powers that Be what the commoners want to pretend and do in fact it serves their purpose brilliantly as you can't rail nor fight against that which do not even know exists.

They are prepared though, and can and will and have the means both legally, monetarily, and militarily, and forcefully to compel any and all come the day you do ever figure out what's really going on and want to rail against it and rebel.

They don't just hold the cards you see, they hold cards up their sleaves too!

Go back to sleep now, this post was just a nightmare, everything will be fine.

Not even the United States of America is free from or of the English Crown and Rome, and I doubt very much any of us anywhere ever will be at the rate the world is going and how they have us so divided with false nations and phony constitutions and notions of freedom and self rule.

[edit on 4/9/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bronco73

Originally posted by exile1981
She is the head of state in Canada in name only. She actually has very little real pull.

Technically she is the head of state, however she has NO pull in Canada unless she is actually in Canada. When she is not in Canada (pretty much always) the person who assumes the position and exercises the position of head of state is the Governor General, currently Michaelle Jean (wonderful GG by the way, probably the only thing Paul Martin ever did right was appoint her). Either way, it is a non-political position and neither of them have any political pull in Canada, other than being mostly ceremonial.

Personally, I like the character that the Monarchy gives Canada...that Highway 2 between Toronto and Kingston has signs that say "The King's Highway"...subtle things that reinforce the fact that we are not, in fact, an adjunct of the United States.

And I really like the GG...the fact that our Head of State is a black, Francophone woman born in Haiti speaks much of this country...sorta makes Obama a piker in terms of adding diversity to the mainstream.

And to all who think Her Excellency is toothless, I remind you that she had the power and the option to shut down Steve's government last year, and wisely, IMHO, let Parliament go into prorogue. And if you think that was done without consulting Her Majesty, you're just not thinking.

God Bless the Queen!

[edit on 4-9-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

[edit on 4-9-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Thanks for posting, folks! It looks like I have several links and tidbits of info for further research. I appreciate those chiming in to share their feelings as well.

reply to post by daptodave

Yes, Dave, I suppose my OP was a bit 'sensationalist' because I was shocked and rather ashamed that I didn't already know it. I can read Wikipedia about your governments all day, but that can't help me understand what it's like to be born and raised there.

Many of you know as much (perhaps more) about my government as I do, especially when it tends to dominate ATS, yet I know very little about yours and I rarely see it discussed. I admitted my ignorance up front, asked my honest questions, and there have been many diverse perspectives shared. A few posters have alluded to a broader 'conspiracy', so I do think it belongs here.

We do all debate about my government and expose their many crimes, we do that all the time here. I didn't accuse yours of any crimes or even inadequacies. I just asked questions from my own perspective as an American. Telling the monarch to go [expletive] him/herself is part of my culture. I'm sorry, I'll try to be more 'globally' politically correct.

I didn't make this thread to bash anyone, not even the Queen, she seems a nice enough lady. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I can't personally imagine what it's like to have a monarch. Every community in the world is diverse and each have a unique situation. I can see how a people might prefer their monarch. I think there are some in Hawaii who want their royal family in power again, for instance. I can understand their reasons, I was just asking about yours.

Ultimately, we're all in the same boat, I'm sure of that. I'm certainly much more concerned about the international corporate-banking powers, but I wondered if this topic was a concern for people in the countries involved. I didn't say I lost all respect for the people of Canada, Australian, and New Zealand, I had a great deal to begin with.

For those who feel passionately enough about the topic to insult me for asking questions, well that says a lot in itself. Thank you for contributing!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Thanks for being open with your feelings! I can respect your perspective and I've always liked seeing your avatar. Michael Palin, I think?

I remember talking to a Canadian friend about Michaelle Jean a couple years ago, when I read about her taking her daughter to a meeting with the Queen. I was amazed that she hasn't been given much attention and praise in the media while Obama's election was like a 'huge step forward for humankind'.

Yes, I read about your Governor General years ago, but her connection with the Queen didn't 'click' in my brain. The news sometimes fails to explain how things work.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I for one willingly submit my pledge of allegience to her majesty the queen and off o.. *cough cough splutter*

Quick, someone get me bucket !!!!

It is sad tho, when we have heads of state from all over the world at gatherings, and us poor schlebs still coattailing the monarchy have our head of state noted as the queen.

My personal opinion is I detest royalty. People given everything by sheer chance of birth? Meh, no amount of them 'digging in' and 'doing it hard' makes any difference. If the real world hits them in the arse they can always call daddy..

You heard me willy and harry, you noncey bratts!!!!!!! You and your chummies know it too !!

(erps, one does make an odd mistake, one certainly does indeed.. ears..)

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join