It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP drills deepest oil well in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Nearly 7 miles below the Gulf of Mexico, oil company British Petroleum Co. Ltd. has tapped into a vast pool of crude after digging the deepest oil well in the world.

The Tiber Prospect is expected to rank among the largest petroleum discoveries in the United States, potentially producing half as much crude in a day as Alaska's famous North Slope oil field.

The company's chief of exploration on Wednesday estimated that the Tiber deposit holds between 4 billion and 6 billion barrels of oil equivalent. That would be enough to satisfy U.S. demand for nearly one year.

more: www.azcentral.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

the largest petroleum discoveries in the United States,

British Petroleum Co. Ltd discovered it
It's in the Gulf of Mexico

But according to this diagram, that's international waters,

Where does the USA end and the rest of the world begin?
Or is that a grey area

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What I'd like to know is how they managed to drill into solid crust 35,000ft into the Rock under the Seabed with just conventional drilling materials when the Marianas Trench is the same depth and psi at that depth would crush a solid lead weight into the size of a pea.
With no subduction zones in the GoM at that depth I find it astronomically and economically worthless to go to all that trouble to attain Oil reserves which are impurified due to psi effects and subversive heating over millions of years. The oil couldnt be used in industry or for mechanical needs and GDP from the company overseeing this operation will be minimal, if not a financial loss at best.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What if that oil serves a bigger purpose? A planetary purpose? What if it's purpose is for cooling like we find oil in a rectifier? Would this effect the magnetic field or something else?

By pulling this oil out are we allowing for the rapid expansion of the core which might result in more earthquakes and heating of the surface of the planet?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Whew! That's a deep one.

I install Intelligent Completion Systems. Hope we don't get the contract for the completion. Don't fancy running tubing for 2 weeks.......Yikes!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This subject was posted yesterday in the thread below.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
when I read things like the WORLDS DEEPEST oil well or what ever...
let me remind you we have 2 oil fields in Alaska, one pumping oil for ASIA and the other has a TOP SECRET designation called GULL ISLAND, AK. Prudo bay is why we built the trans Alaska pipeline and most of that oil goes to Japan, China I would imagine... I believe the West Coast also refines Alaska Crude somewhere around San Francisco, called Hecules, CA. I believe the rest of the Oil America uses comes from Canada and Venezula - Mexico.
and now we have another huge pool of oil that covers what 3 states - N. Dekota, S. Dekota and Eastern Montana. -- not to mention the oil shale in Colorado - that we started working in the 70's.

So why are we dependant on foriegn oil... after all we have the Department of Energy who's sole mission is to reduce Americas demand for Foriegn Oil... in 40 years the problem has only gotten worse... seems the taxpayers could save 25 billion dollars a year by closing down this BS department. since they cant tell the difference from Venezula and Colorado.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The lack of science knowledge in this thread is astounding. First of all, oil is stable under high temperatures and pressures, so there is no reason why this oil would be any less good than regular oil. We are drilling in such insane places because we are running out of oil and have extracted the easiest to get oil.

North American shale oil is a large resource, but it is sitting in a geological formation which is akin to a damp sponge: Unless you grind up all the rock, the oil is not going to come out very fast. Grinding up all the rock to get the oil out is not viable. The situation is somewhat like the tar sands in Canada, except with rock instead of sand, and deep underground instead of near the surface.

To suggest that everything that happens is the result of some scheme by some powerful people is naive, there are real forces affecting civilization which have nothing to do with man or any other conscious force.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You got that right, just like the statement that the pressure will compress lead weight into pea size. Sorry, not true.

But you are right, some people have to turn the most benign event into a global sinister conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ELNC3

Well, how would you like your crow, baked or boiled in oil.

video.google.com...

and this guy has a track record thats hard to beat boss, but you know what your saying is for the good of all.... well ... enjoy, want some sauce wit dat.

new topics

top topics

join