It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driver License increase in FL=INSANE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
So I had NO idea that the fees went up on the 1st of September until a friend told me yesterday,, the day of the increase. I have not seen it on the news at all the entire week! The fees increased 100% or MORE. I went online and there were lines out the door at the DMV's on the 31st so people could get their payments on various things in before the prices increased. I looked online and found the new fee schedule...These fees are insane compared to what they use to be. Ex...a renewal license use to be $10 now it's $25! A new tag when you first register went from like $100 to $225! I have no idea why I never saw this and what is their reasoning to increase these fees by 100%?!

Original Class E $48.00
Original/Renewal Commercial Driver License $75.00
Original School Board Commercial Driver License $48.00
Renewal Class E $48.00
Renewal School Board Commercial Driver License $48.00
Replacement license $25.00
Delinquent Fee $15.00

www.flhsmv.gov...

This is just some of the new fees...the link has the rest. If you live in FL you better look at this if you dont already know about it. Again why didnt I see it on the news!? I watch channel 13 every morning and never heard about it...Grrr! More money gone to THEM!

The initial registration fee - the fee paid for a vehicle registration on an additional vehicle not replacing a current vehicle — will jump from $100 to $225.

Tag and registration fees will go up as much as 66 percent; the exact amount depends on the weight of the vehicle. Transfer fees for titles will more than double from $29.75 to $75.75. Motorcycle registrations will also increase, from $24.60 to $41.65.

Reinstating a suspended driver license will increase, late payment fees on driver license renewals go up 15-fold, from $1 to $15, and the cost of the original driver license will go from $32.25 to $54.25. Renewing a driver license goes from $25.25 to $54.25.

Evidentially their computer systems crashed due to the amount of people trying to get the old rates on the last day and they had to hand out rain checks..

So many people tried to avoid the fee increase on Friday that Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles computer systems crashed.

Source for both above www.northescambia.com...

I am not looking forward to Nov.

[edit on 9/3/2009 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
True - lucky for us we DID know about this and informed our son.

His B-Day was in August so he was able to take care of this - He had to stand in line for over 5 hours - but DID get it done.

My B-Day was yesterday so I missed this "dead-line" buy 2 days

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Wow 5 hours! I would have gone insane
I have to renew in Nov my registration, tag and license and I am not looking forward to the price either! I tried to renew my tag last year for the 18mths and they wouldnt let me. She told me you couldnt and I knew very well you could. My grandparents have done it for years and I have seen cars all over with it.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wow, I'm glad that I moved from Florida last year! That's nuts! When I got my driver's license, when I was 18, it cost $15. If I were to be 18 now, it'd be $48! Goodness! I'm glad that I don't have to renew my Florida license this year, which I would have to if I still lived there. I don't care for that $225 for a tag either. Thinking about the car that I had last year, $225 would have made the cost of registering the car almost double! What was the reasoning for doing this?

Though the prices went up, just to put it into perspective, here in Germany, it costs between 1500 and 3000€ for your license. So, $48 doesn't seem that bad! Then, on top of the fee for registering your car, you have to pay a yearly car tax and a fee for your car having a radio.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

You have to pay a fee for having a radio?! Wow I hope they dont get any ideas here

I heard it was to help pay for roads and other things which is crap. They have billions for that and they havent even used it! I really dislike FL and cant wait to move! I sure hope AL isnt as tax crazy..lol

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I live in the Heart of Dixie, and it is getting that way. Your tag tax is supposedly based on vehicle type and value. All my cars went down in value, but tag fees went up this year. Other property tax also went up about 50%.

Also they have a stink going on right now about Jefferson County (Birmingham) and their "occupational tax"(county income tax).

It's 23$ now for license renewal, $28 for a new license($5 for the eye test), as well as $5 each for endorsements (vessel, motorcycle).

Nickeled and dimed to death.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Yeah, we have to pay for a radio, four times a year. The same goes for your house. If you have a radio, TV, or the internet [or any combination] you have to pay 250€ a year. All this money goes to fund the German equivalent of PBS. They make a killing I tell you!

That's typical Florida--we need money, but we don't want to spend what we've saved! Down where I'm from, Collier County, back in the 80s, I think, they built and extension to I-75 that went to Fort Lauderdale, colloquially known as "Alligator Alley". In order to pay off the construction, the voters back then approved a bill that made that stretch of road a toll road with the condition that, once the road was paid off, the toll would be taken away. The road was paid off in the early 90s or so and, naturally, the state never removed the toll. It's stupid. Now, Florida wants to sell that stretch of Interstate to a French company.

I've heard that there is a very similar story with the Florida "Veterans Expressway", an intrastate that goes from Miami to Orlando-ish, but I'm not sure on the details.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Alabama is pretty easy on taxes. Moved across the river from Georgia and don't regret it one bit.

Isn't Florida one of the few states that doesn't have a state income tax? I figure with the economy in the shape it is FL doesn't have all the tourists it's used to to pay the tolls, sales taxes, etc that fund things that in other states are funded by state income taxes.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I agree, Georgia taxes are murder! Alabama's state income taxe is pretty high, but GA is killing paychecks left and right.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

You have to pay for an eye test?! Wow! Yeah I am moving to Mobile in the near future and so far everything there is much cheaper than here in FL. It amazes me how cheap an apt is there.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Yeah the turnpike which is toll, went up in cost in the last year I believe. It's not cheap to drive on that road if you dont have a pass! I use it sometimes to go to AL but I stopped because it was costing me 10 bucks each way and on top of gas prices I couldnt afford an extra payment...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You should all count yourself lucky you don't live in the UK!

For the last 2-3 yrs, vehicle licensing (road tax) costs have been based on the CO2 emissions of the vehicles.

I have a 3yr old Range Rover (which ain't the most environmentally friendly of vehicles!). To relicence (road tax) my car, it costs me the equivalent $650 a year

And a normal family saloon (let's say a Volvo 5 seater) costs almost $340 a year. This on top of something we call MOT which is a road worthiness test which normally costs in excess of $60 per year (if the mechanics find anything wrong will it, they'll fail you and you have to pay again to get it passed).

And don't get me started on fuel prices... you yanks get it easy!
($6.80 per gallon comapred to your measly $2.60)

And we have a similar situation to Germany on radios too - we pay about $230 a year which covers TV and Radio licence. This all goes to the BBC - which inexplicably manage offer free services worldwide! Crazy

Living in the UK is fun!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by morgansolutions

WOW! I have a 10 year old Mustang I wonder what I would pay! I had no idea your gas was so high and I complain about 2.78 right now! I will count my blessing at the pump today : )

I cant get my head around the radio/internet tax that has been mentioned. Insane! I wanted to move to Europe, France to be specific or the UK was on my mind too....No place seems safe from the tax fiends!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Floridians typically have it pretty good. We have no State Income Tax as many states do and simply pay various sales taxes, property taxes, and licensing taxes.

Most of Florida’s tax revenue actually comes from tourists who pay a hotel tax in rooms they stay in and a cabin tax for cruise ships they depart out of, and sales tax like residences do on all purchases they make while in Florida.

Comparatively speaking if you lived in New York City where the State of New York has a Payroll Tax and a Retirement Tax and the City itself has a Payroll Tax and a Retirement Tax taken right off the top in addition to all the normal sales taxes, ownership and licensing taxes that we have here in Florida, we still have it pretty good.

The tourism industry is lagging because of the faltering world economy and tax revenues are way off as a result. The highly speculative real estate market has crashed and the unprecedented rate and wave of foreclosures has significantly lowered the revenue collected off of property taxes. Consumer spending is way down as a result of the economy so sales taxes are also off. New vehicles and new home sales are way off and so are the tax revenues from those.

The state has to either substantially cut services or find the money elsewhere.

Law enforcement has gone insane with ticketing practices to bring in revenue on just about any type of code violation they can spot, but the state is looking to make up for the shortfall in other taxes wherever and whenever it has a hostage and captive market.

We still have it pretty lucky here in Florida compared to most states but times are surely tough, hey brother could you spare a dime, it’s not for me…it’s for my Uncle Pedro down at city hall!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can top Florida's dmv mess with NY's. Now when our registration needs to be renewed you must pay $25 for new plates or for $50 you can keep your old plates! Hows that for robbing the people?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have a regular ID card that I use since I don't have a car license at the moment and a few years ago when I got the ID it was 9$ for them to take the picture, give me the card.
Just got a letter in the mail the other day to renew my card and it also went WAY UP in price just like the licenses have. It's now 35$ to get a new card or even just renew the one I already have.
This ticked me off so much that I thought about just getting a regular license until I seen the prices for them also went up like crazy.
What really blows is how almost everything I buy anymore requires ID over here. Can't even get an alcoholic drink w/o them scanning the ID, looking it over for 5 minutes and then sometimes even giving me a hassle because it's not a regular drivers license.
I even had this one idiot once tell me he couldn't accept my ID because it wasn't a car license. I was like c'mon you @#$@ moron it's still a valid ID, just because I don't drive doesn't mean I have to have a drivers license to get a damn drink when a regular ID is just as valid.
Oh and don't even get me started on trying to buy OTC medicine, cans of spray paint for projects, glue, ligher fluid, and so many other things.
It's not like I look like some teen kid or something, I am an adult and it doesn't even take an ID to see that.
Well they want me to renew it before my birthday or else it's no longer valid and stores will REFUSE it even if it's a few days old so now I know where all my birthday money will go to >

So if I want to continue buying just about anything useful at stores I will have to keep on paying out those $ just to prove what anyone with two eyes can see, my age.
Luckly I ride bike around town for most things since it's a small place here. Soon I will have to get a car though and oh how I can't wait for all the fees, cops stopping me for any reason they can find, stop light cameras, plate tags, and so on.
I'll just keep on riding bike until it falls apart haha.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

I live in the Heart of Dixie, and it is getting that way. Your tag tax is supposedly based on vehicle type and value. All my cars went down in value, but tag fees went up this year. Other property tax also went up about 50%.

Also they have a stink going on right now about Jefferson County (Birmingham) and their "occupational tax"(county income tax).

It's 23$ now for license renewal, $28 for a new license($5 for the eye test), as well as $5 each for endorsements (vessel, motorcycle).

Nickeled and dimed to death.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

wow...but hey...good news!...income taxes on the wealthy haven't gone up, because that would stop job creation. so count your blessings that these fees hurt just the poor and middle class. besides the millionaires will have to pay from 5 to a hundred dollars extra for their ferrari or bentley.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

I live in the Heart of Dixie, and it is getting that way. Your tag tax is supposedly based on vehicle type and value.

I think it's that way in most states. Me - i drive a 20 year old beater and pay a reg fee of $27 every year. Most americans are idiots who think they simply have to have a big expensive SUV as a status symbol!!! Hell with the morons.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yeah I heard about this in May and luckily my tag renewal was in August. I went ahead and upped for 2 years for 72 bucks and they sent me a whole different plate. The tag offices here in Orlando have been ridiculously packed the past week. More money for the state to piss away.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

So I should be happy the rich arent affected? Um you are quite delusional! It hurts everyone!

new topics

top topics

join