It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Words of the Day - Plutocracy and Kleptocracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Concepts we should all be aware of. If we do not put a stop to lobbying of all forms, this is where we will be. I could argue that we are already in a Plutocracy but I prefer to retain a little optimism. If we allow it to go further, it will result in a Kleptocracy. I suppose some could/will argue that we are already in a Kleptocracy but I am not one of those.

Plutocracy

A Plutocracy is a government controlled by a minuscule proportion of extremely wealthy individuals found in most societies. In many forms of government, those in power benefit financially, sometimes enough to belong to the aforementioned wealthy class.

Classically, a plutocracy was an oligarchy, which is to say a government controlled by the wealthy few. Usually this meant that these ‘plutocrats’ controlled the executive, legislative and judicial aspects of government, the armed forces, and most of the natural resources. To a certain degree, there are still some situations in which private corporations and wealthy individuals may exert such strong influence on governments, that the effect can arguably be compared to a plutocracy.

If there are no forms of control within the society, the plutocracy can easily collapse into a kleptocracy, "reign of thieves", where the powerholders attempt to confiscate as much public funds as possible as their private property. A kleptocratic state is usually thoroughly corrupt, has very little production and its economy is unstable. Many failed states represent kleptocracies.

Kleptocracy

Kleptocracy, alternatively cleptocracy or kleptarchy, from Greek klepto (theft) and kratos (rule), is a term applied to a government that extends the personal wealth and political power of government officials and the ruling class (collectively, kleptocrats) at the expense of the population, sometimes without even the pretense of honest service.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Lol, whoever starred and flagged, come back and let me know what you think!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Ok, people, talk to me... please......

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

what do you want to talk about?
the words and definitions pretty much sum up how things work.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Lol, ok. But, do you think we're there or not and, if you do, which one?

top topics

join