It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Withdraws Call for Students to 'Help' Obama

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Same ol here - provided the economy turns around there are gonna a bunch of sad Repos

It won't get better.
I'll be laughing my arse off at you when you have to take a wheel barrow of worthless dollars down to the greocery store to buy a loaf of bread and a can of beans.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Originally posted by Resinveins
If Timmy was inspired to be a neurosurgeon because of some politician's speech... do I really want him for my doctor?

Are you serious?

As long as he/she went to a good school, and pulled good grades, then I couldn't care less if he/she was inspired by Obama, or Doogie Howser M.D. for that matter. Education and experience are far more important criteria than what sparked my Dr's inspiration to become one.

[edit on 9/3/09 by redmage]

Yes actually I was quite serious.

People that buy into the whole "you can do it! study hard! do it for your country! do it for your President!" rah rah motivational mularkey make me want to hurl up a care bear or two. So no surprise I don't associate with people of that bent IRL given any kind of choice. I certainly don't let them influence things of import like my medical care. So yeah... if my neuro said she was so influenced by some speech President Bush gave while she was in school, that it affected her study habits and career path... then I'm finding a new neuro. Someone a little more immune to talking heads on the tv.

But that's me.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here is the problem, and this concern has been voiced repeatedly in this thread.
Obama wants people to do things FOR HIM.
I don't give a damn what it is he wants them to do.
He could tell them to all become buddhists and in doing so this will end violence all across the planet.
As long as he tells them to do it FOR HIM! We have a problem.

I guess some liberals in this thread are SO liberal in their mindset that they think they have the right to shout down people who are concerned.

Screw 'em.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
"Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important? "

It is remarks like the one above that have people upset. AND THEY OUGHT TO BE!!!!! How dare this man try to tell my children that they are to listen to their leaders regardless what the leaders may say or do!

YOUR JOB AS A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY IS TO GOVERN YOURSELF BY QUESTIONING THESE DECISIONS AND RAISING CONCERN.

If you people DON'T have a problem with his "outline" then we are in big trouble.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
"Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important? "

It is remarks like the one above that have people upset. AND THEY OUGHT TO BE!!!!! How dare this man try to tell my children that they are to listen to their leaders regardless what the leaders may say or do!

If your personal mental filter instantly equates the word "listen" to "obey without question" then I can see where you're coming from; however, that's not necessarily what it's asking.

Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials?

Personally, I think it's important to listen to what they say because if it's not in line with majority beliefs and stances then it's time to remind them what we the people want, and remind them who they're supposed to be working for.

Far too many people never take the time to actually listen to what our elected officials say, but instead merely listen to the spin coming from msm talking heads who show out-of-context clips while running wild with them. There's a LOT to be said for getting first hand knowledge and forming your own opinion before blindly accepting msm 'Cliff-Noted' spin.

Why is what they say important?

Because it provides citizens some of the background information required in order for us to form logical and valid questions to pose, and it shows us the direction in which policy is heading.

YOUR JOB AS A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY IS TO GOVERN YOURSELF BY QUESTIONING THESE DECISIONS AND RAISING CONCERN.

How do you suggest people are supposed to go about forming logical questions and valid concerns to pose if they don't actually take the time to listen to what the politicians are saying in the first place?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

I believe the word "serve" has been used a few times lately, "pledge" is another one being tossed around. Good stuff there

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

When a parent tells a child: "Listen to me."
They ARE telling them to obey.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Far too many people never take the time to actually listen to what our elected officials say, but instead merely listen to the spin coming from msm talking heads who show out-of-context clips while running wild with them. There's a LOT to be said for getting first hand knowledge and forming your own opinion before blindly accepting msm 'Cliff-Noted' spin.

Here, here! Of all the partisan Bravo Sierra having been promulgated by the Anti-Obama bunch, this has to be the most moronic. The shrill invective that is being put forward is absolutely over the top, and I am totally appalled by it.

For crying out loud...the President wants to help kids recognise the function of government by involving them. Nothing more...as any reasoning individual can figure out for themselves. This is the highest degree of scata I have yet witnessed on this site...and quite frankly, if these so-called 'concerned' parents had a clue, then they'd be ashamed of themselves.

There...my rant, and my final words on the subject.

Oh, and as you flame me, you might want to check your spelling on the way through...just so as not to prove my secondary point.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I can't stress enough how out of line it is for a president, ANY PRESIDENT, to have children write themselves a letter TELLING THEMSELVES what the President expects them to do.
If you don't understand this I pity you.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

you know johnny, listening to almost every post that you submit you sound very fascist. i have never seen you agree with anyone except if it was for obama. listen man stop bashing united states citizens. its getting old to say the least. your nazi style fascist words make me want to throw up a fur ball or two.

warren thanks much as usual for your great posts and time that you spend looking at this near nazi germany scenario that we are living in

[edit on 3-9-2009 by tatersalad]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

reply to post by redmage

When a parent tells a child: "Listen to me."
They ARE telling them to obey.

Sometimes they are; however, for this analogy to actually fit the situation at hand, a person would first have to accept the premise that the PotUS is on equal footing with a parent when it comes to a child. Personally, I don't accept that premise. I believe it's a parent's job to raise their child, NOT the PotUS/Gov.; so I don't see your analogy here as fitting, nor can I agree with your chosen interpretation of the question as a whole.

I've seen no evidence that teachers would be instructed to spin the question the way that you've chosen to. If you have any evidence to offer, then please share it; however, all I've seen so far is people making unnecessary assumptions in order to fuel their partisan diatribe.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I wish they would have left the question intact.

First, by comparing my child's answers to the ones I provided above, it would give me a WONDERFUL opportunity to educate my child regarding why it's important to listen to politicians; a lesson I'd hope my child would carry on throughout life, and even pass down to the next generation.

Second, in its origional form I'd be hard pressed to find a more perfect litmus test regarding the motivations of my child's educators. It would allow me to see first-hand if they were actually trying to spin things on an individual, or even structured basis; however, it's now a lost opportunity without the question being asked.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

For some reason, I can't seem to shake the mental image of you with your fingers in your ears saying "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!"

All I can say is that although I disagree with your opinion, I appreciate your input.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Kids in the 3rd grade should not be concerning themselves with what they can do for the president.

If Obama wants to speak to the youth of the country then stick to highschool kids. They are a little older and beginning to view the world and prepare themselves for adulthood, grade school kids are busy preparing themselves for fun.......... as it should be.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
reply to post by mikerussellus

BUT....and I don't disagree with your post, I'm just looking at the other side. Isn't there a valid point to be made about getting children involved in the political process? Teaching them that they CAN make a difference? Truly, I'm really not sure about any of it?

I did NOT vote Obama, so please don't assume I'm a supporter.

Kindergarteners and Sixth graders?? Are you being sarcastic? I mean I just cant fathom what a kindergartener needs to know about the political process. I can remember crying because the tried to make me use right handed scissors.

I can see maybe 6th graders, but what message can the President express that a tax paid teacher isnt capable of?
Obama isnt the teacher, maybe he should get busy doing HIS job instead of trying to paint this picture for himslef.

A "Uniter" ... its not my fault he isnt..

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Mailman]

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Mailman]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

There are things that I don't like about Obama.

He didn't "open" the White House and shed light on the dark corners of the Cheney administration like he promised.

He didn't get us out of Iraq or Afghanistan and it looks like the war might be broadening in scope.

To name a few...

But unless people protested C Minus Bush when he said started the No Child Left Behind fiasco when he forgot that Alaska was the biggest state when talking to sixth graders, when he couldn't string together a grammatically correct sentence to save his life, when he spouted the ironic: Is Our Children Learnin'?...if none of you protested that then my suspicions are that this is partisan.

Obama went to college on his grades. You know...those pesky little things your kids will need to get a scholarship (unless your last name is Bush then you go as an endowed alumni).

Come on! You're a reasonable poster. I read your stuff all the time. When it comes to education and asking kids to buckle down...don't you think that someone who actually made good grades is a good role model for a student?

This is not like asking Bill Clinton to lecture on marriage, or Anne Coulter to lecture on manners.

Barak Obama is the President of the United States. That's all your kids should known about him. Parents are so quick to have children involved in their politics when all these little guys ought to hear is that everything is going to be fine and to study hard in school. There were five and six year olds on my block crying that McCain lost the last election. I was shocked! They should worry about whether or not Woody can save Buzz, not politics.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Yes, I am saying "LA LA LA LA LA" becuase you don't understand the objections being made.
I read this entire thread before I posted a comment. It took me quite a while to read it.

I looked at every angle I could conceive of and arrived at the same conclusion no matter how I viewed it. What BO wanted to do here was WRONG. It was wrong on every conceivable level.

For anyone to defend him in this matter is ridiculous!
Period.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just found out that this will not be shown in my children's school. Good, I don't want them to have to miss a day of school.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup
I am my childs moral tutor.

And my boys will not be attending school Sept 8th.

I wonder how many of you who are saying "get over it" would take your own

advice had it been GWB doing this.

I wouldn't remove them from school because my politics are my own and shouldn't be burdened upon a child.

However, I have always taken issue with the fact that George Bush was proud of his mediocrity, joked about it, and yet mandated that children and teachers be put through No Child Left Behind. He was a C minus student, couldn't speak a language other than English, didn't know basic American geography as President, frequently got wrong the pronunciations of the last names of other heads of state, and was so lacking in basic knowledge of global and domestic affairs that he was behind that of undergraduates even with handlers all around that could have tutored...

Oh, as someone who busted butt in school he angered me. Someone who had every opportunity growing up and squandered it--it was a slap in the face to nerds like me!

That said, I do believe that he (not his father or brother) is actually a nice guy. I don't know why. Its a gut feeling, but I feel he allowed himself to be led down a merry path and taken advantage of by evil people around him.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Yes, I am saying "LA LA LA LA LA" becuase you don't understand the objections being made.

I understand the objections completely, but I can't agree with the false logic being used to fuel them. As of yet, no one has provided any evidence that teachers would be instructed to spin the questions in a manner like those such as yourself are already choosing to accept and be outraged over.

Unlike your interperatation, my interperatation of the questions do NOT require someone to first accept that the PotUS is on equal footing with a parent, in regards to their child, for the context to make sense; thus my interperatation and answers are valid without the need for a priori assumption. While others feel a need to fuel their partisan diatribe with appeals to fear and strawman logic, I choose to look at the questions objectively.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

You underestimate him.
Like most.

As I said in my initial post "He was ineffectual as a President in any honorable way."

Honorable being the operable word.

He was, in fact, VERY effective at furthering the goals set forth long before he became POTUS, including the TRAVESTY of No Child Left Behind.

In plain honesty, the man is evil. Not nice in any way.

He has admitted as much himself by saying he "compromised his soul."

He knows where he is headed and you won't hear much from him between now and then.
This country took its worst turn ever under his tuteledge and he LET THAT HAPPEN.

F# him. I hope he rots in hell.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

It doesn't matter if the crime was a mandate from the top or not.
It was suggested.
And THAT IS WHAT MATTERS HERE!
Jesus Christ! It is not the outcome, but the motive.

The intent was wrong!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join