It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past Life Experiences and Understandings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
PAST LIVES
Past Lives or reincarnation, is a belief of some traditions such as Hindu, Buddhism, African Beliefs, Native American, Paganism and new Age movements. The Bible also mentions it inadvertently (though doesn't preach it as dogma at all) and refers to the Messiah as the return of Elijah (this is open to interpretation)
Tibetans appoint their Lamas from the belief they are reincarnations
It also appears in some Ancient Greek philosophy as well as some Gnostic groups.
Scientology is heavily linked to it (after we were nuked in a volcano we were banished to reincarnate here ) Edgar Cayce was big on it too

I will link more on what these different schools of thought. Or if you have info it would be great if you would share it.
Almost all religions have afterlife premise, but I am interested in reincarnation.

What substance is being 'reincarnated'?
*The soul?
*A memory zap?
*Remnant energy, nothing disappears in the universe, just changes.
*Are we tuning into a recorded past? Like seeing a ghost but just feeling its life instead of 'seeing 'it?
*If it does take place, what is its purpose?

I don't believe in the premise that we are all working towards being angelic/rewarded/punished etc...My personal understanding of life/death cycles is that we are just answering for something. And we in a way are that something, or an aspect of it.
Through all life/death "IT/GOD/ INFINITY" is attempting realisation of self. Our living and dying helps propagate infinity. We live/die (answer) in infinity, so its perfectly acceptable to be answering through different lives. I don't think anyone needs to subscribe to this thought, but you are all welcome to contemplate it.

My interest comes not from a need to know who or what I was, but from wanting to understand a experience. I will relay a personal story.

Bologna Italy 1991.
Just a transit stop on our way to Ravenna where I was to do research on the mosaics at the Byzantine Church of San Vitale.

Our rickety train stopped at 1230 in Bologna and we weren't to connect until 3pm, so we left our baggage in lockers, and headed into the town centre for a few hours.
There was three of us. My sister, and my cousin were joining me until Ravenna. One is agnostic, the other was atheist.

Being family, we never ran out of ways to laugh, chatter, argue, or get into mischief.
After we crossed a modernish footbridge and headed deeper into the old part of town, all three of us fell strangely silent. After a about 4 blocks of beautiful old arched buildings and cobblestones, I realised that my companions were also silent. I had been feeling very much like I was with 2 men, and that I was a man, I felt as though I was walking with brothers, I started to recognise the streets, I felt a compulsion to speak Italian. I felt I was leading a horse behind me.
Being a sensible lass, and scientific researcher I didn't often share with people experiences I have had of the 'unknown' and this was going to be another example of keeping it to myself.

I was looking at a side street thinking I'd like to visit the tavern down there. As I contemplated a having a thick sweetish beer ( don't know what kind lol!) my cousin who was the Atheist grabbed my sister and myself by our arms and stopped us walking and declared:

"UUUMMM does any one fell like they've been here before"

To which my sister responded loudly

" Yes and does anyone feel like they are a man?"

We stood looking around us for about 5 minutes pointing out
what was where and how to get to different basilicas, the Piazza Maggiore. and the Palazzos. The colourful buildings of Bologna were as familiar to me as the street I grew up in.

We turned down the smaller alley way where I thought the tavern was and there before me was the exact building I knew was going to be there. Now it was a shop. We entered and asked what the building use to be, and we were informed they think its was a taverna, but not for a long time, it had been one shop or another for a long time.

We explored the city and pronounced streets in perfect Italian before knowing their name. The whole time all 3 of us felt a connection to flowers, I can't explain well what I mean by that, but we all smelt and felt flowers.

We headed back to the station, I wanted to stay longer but I had to get to my appointment, and my companions were so freaked out that they refused to stay. My cousin is no longer Atheist, she believes in something now after that experience, though she doesn't know what.

I went back on my own after my research, before meeting up with them in Venice. I felt no great connection to the place like before other than one street gave me a 'pulling familiarity' sensation, but like the familiarity you have from a dream, more than life memory.
I felt no longer like I was a man and didn't know the town as well as before, nor Italian. The only other familiar sensation I had was flowers. We Never knew why all three of us had a flower sensation the first time, but I had this very strongly the second time also.

So did I/we all just tune into a blip in time?
Did we experience a past life?
Was it a haunting?

Anyways...Ill open it up to your input

Zazzy F

[edit on 3-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Very cool story, S&F !

I just started looking into this subject a few days ago for the first time.

Over the last year or so i have had a handful of dejavu experiences which i consider to be related to past life.. I would be sat at work or at home with my partner and I would know the conversation before it had even been spoken.

I had a strong sense of having had the conversation before, or a strong sense of the physical things of those moments happening before.

Very weird, but I find it really cool when it happens now, because i sit back and be aware of it while its happening!!

...........but the coolest experience I have had was only 2 wks ago, which in turn spurred me into looking up the subject a bit more.

Me and my partner went to see a new house for rent. We met the owners and were shown round the house. It was great. We had been looking for months and every place we went to see was either horrible or there were tonnes of families looking at the same place.

For some reason , this place was better than anything else that had come up in the city for months, a better price, and had no other people interested.

This seemed almost too good to be true, but that wasnt all. When we got home after seeing the house, both me and the missus looked at each other and said, "my god, do we know the owners of this place from somewhere?"

We racked our brains, but we had never met them before for sure.

We went back a week later to sign the lease etc and we were sitting there talking to them and it was such a weird feeling. they looked so familiar, sounded so familiar and even showed movements and habits that seemed very familiar.

we left that night feeling very strange because both of us felt the same way. We are sure we know them, but we are sure we have never met them.

Maybe this is related to past lives? or maybe its nothing, but for both both of us to have the same feeling is very weird to me.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

"UUUMMM does any one fell like they've been here before"

Has anyone been there before, or seen a picture, or videos of the place?

" Yes and does anyone feel like they are a man?"

Won't go freudonian there.

bologna sounds like a nice place, but, your extraordinary claims, well need extraordinary evidence, if I can say that without it being oppressed by something dogmatic.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Thanks for your reply

I had a strong sense of having had the conversation before, or a strong sense of the physical things of those moments happening before.

I have had that feeling myself, but usually after I had little sleep, so I assumed it was my brain playing catchup, somehow timing was outa whack because of lack of sleep. But De Ja vu is interesting, is it a chemical process, or is it tuning into a pre formed pattern of your day?
That is another apsect of "past lives" are we tuning into a 'pattern' of the past.
I see existence as ordered and random patterns from chaos...another aspect to consider, thanks

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I don't believe in the premise that we are all working towards being angelic/rewarded/punished etc...My personal understanding of life/death cycles is that we are just answering for something. And we in a way are that something, or an aspect of it. Through all life/death "IT/GOD/ INFINITY" is attempting realisation of self. Our living and dying helps propagate infinity. We live/die (answer) in infinity, so its perfectly acceptable to be answering through different lives.

Zazzafrazz,
sometimes someone says something that sits and fits right.
That paragraph, for me, did just that.
Thanks

2thec

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Cognitive Neuroscience has pretty broken down the brain enough to see that who we "ARE" - everything from emotion, to memory, to instinct, is tied to various interacting brain regions. Knock out certain regions in the brain, and you can knock out function. For instance, people with spatial agnosia can hold up a red cube. They can tell you it's red, it's wood, it's heavy, it has six sides... but they cannot tell if it's a sphere, a pyramid, or cube. If you want a simple observation you can do yourself, go to the local bar or tavern and watch the people as they drink. See how their behaviors change. See who is shy and reclusive until they get a few drinks in them. Who is calm and in good spirits until they get "Whiskey Drunk" (or whatever their poison is) and become belligerent and hostile as a result.

If a soul exists at all, it seems, then it is an independent observer... and when you die... YOU die. It's not like the relationship between the car and the driver, because the car apparently IS the driver. A soul would be no more "YOU" than a firefly you catch, carry with you awhile, then let go. An analogy I cannot help but make, then, is with religion threatening to squash the firefly if you don't do what they say.... and why them saying it is of little consequence, and highly unjust.

Sorry, even if a "soul" from the 17th century were in me now, I have yet to hear anything regarding how such an entity would be able to map patterns of neurons and write them to a new brain for you to recall.

That being said, I have had experiences where I felt I've been somewhere before. I recall having a dream one time as a kid... and I can't remember much of it... but I recall standing on a hill down at a river with bridges spanning it. To my left was a gas station and hotel, and across the river was more city. Quite a few years later, I went with my father on a trip up around Lake Superior and we stopped for the night in Stu St. Marie. I snuck out to "find an arcade" (I.E. Have a smoke), and while standing by the road out of eyeshot of our room - I realized that this was the place from my dream.

It wasn't quite like Deja Vu, or at least, how I generally experience it... because I had genuine memories of that dream come flooding back. Or, at least I think I did. I can never really tell for sure, if I ever had that dream as a kid since I don't remember telling anybody about it or if they'd even remember. The dream itself was too vague in detail beyond a few seconds that I couldn't "predict" anything that would happen or where it would be. I can't tell if I stumbled upon an unrecalled fragment of a dream the night prior after first getting there, if I wasn't recalling a few seconds ago and my made the "dream" excuse, or if it really happened. I've always been fond of that town since then though. My "Dream" town.

I also recall feeling a similar-ish Deja Vu-ish at the Shiloh civil war battlefield where I would walk in and out of areas of "dread", and while I couldn't predict where things were at their either... it was like being on the tip of your tongue, and a strong sensation of familiarity.

*Shrug*

So while I haven't quite had an experience on the caliber that you've described, I have had experiences that I personally can't explain. I do know what it's like, and I'm not just being close minded.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

....even if a "soul" from the 17th century were in me now, I have yet to hear anything regarding how such an entity would be able to map patterns of neurons and write them to a new brain for you to recall.

I would agree with this premise. If there are past lives, and "souls" this would explain why memory recall is absent of the life that was lived.

Yet sadly, it doesn't thelp me explain our experience

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I see existence as ordered and random patterns from chaos...another aspect to consider, thanks

Are you a subscriber to complexity theory and emergence then? I also have a very "Chaos" centric view of the universe. Though, it's not very popular here I've found (at least when I explain it), because it seems to preclude the existence of large scale conspiracies and grand overarching plans in favor of millions of smaller unrelated conspiracies on every level of society forming trends or emergent events. (9/11 being a conspiracy of fundamentalist muslims, to the Iraq War being an "open" conspiracy of belligerence without evidence, leading to a conspiracy to whip conspiracy theorists up and put them on TV up to deflect animosity away from Bush to the Government at large - a unilaterally Dem controlled gov with healthcare reform on the table.

All of which are independent, with a relatively small number of players, but yet all related as they arose in reaction TO each other sequentially. ... but it also works on the level of galaxy formation and abiogenesis as well.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Helloo Zazz! *kiss!* Great thread and I willl add more later when I'm awake...got a day off, and I'm wiped out as usual.......

Cait xxx

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

All of which are independent, with a relatively small number of players, but yet all related as they arose in reaction TO each other sequentially. ... but it also works on the level of galaxy formation and abiogenesis as well.

Thanks for your reply

I rarely "believe" in anything is probably the best way for me to explain this. I tend subscribe to a thought pattern from coming to an a "understanding" not just "believing". Hence I am wanting to explore the possibilities of what our experience was in order to understand it.

How do you equate abiogenesis to help explain this experience? I am a little unsure of your connection to it. If its "chemical evolution" then that disagrees with your first statement on the brain not being imrpinted/mapped with a 'past soul', which I will note if they do exist, I accept this premise as a possible explanation for no memory recal of that life.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

zazzafrazzles, it is so good to see you over on ATS!

I am rather ambivalent about past lives, and all things of the "paranormal" world.

The reason for this is that I was raised under a rather strict Christian roof.

Anything that fell under "paranormal" was deemed "of the Devil" by my parents.

However, I learned to stop listening blindly, which is how I got to who I am today.

I have had such a unique life, and have been told I was Leonidas in a past life, as well as a myriad of other "past lives", but I keep a skeptical outlook on it, and instead talk about it whenever I can to try to get a better understanding of just what that means.

Having said all of that, I will include some of the "paranormal" threads I have here.

Mental Imagery From Words Or Images

Remote Viewing Secrets: A Handbook : Joseph McMoneagle

Asking For Psychic Assistance : Project Caylee Anthony

I am now at least open-minded enough to discuss the topics.

I'm just not open-minded enough my brain falls out.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Maybe the combination of being with two other people that share the same genes had something to do with this extraordinary experience Zazz.
What i mean is maybe there is a combination of a couple of things that happened at the right place at the right time that made it possible.
I am starting to feel that these things are as much biological as well "spiritual".

You may have some connection way way way back to this town, biologically, as in maybe one of your ancestors lived or stayed there and knew it well or had some sort of life changing or reaffirming experience there that all three you you share in your cells, in your genes, in your dna somewhere. like a biological memory you share with your family members.

and when you just happened to, by chance, arrive there, together, the strength of your combined recoginition was amplified together to the point where you all could clearly remember this place at a particular time.

Maybe if you went by yourself, you may have had the strange feeling but may have not have been able to put a finger on it, like you did with the extra boosters of your shared traveling gene pool!!

now if on top of that one of you did actually live there in a past life, it may work the same, and your closeness to your family there amplified it again or maybe it was just that one of your ancestors lived there in a previous life !?! ( that would be a longer stretch!)

does that make sense?

we are all connected, made of the same stuff, so we must have some built in memory of everything of the whole universe, and when the conditions are right extraordinary things happen.

so physically everything is constantly being reincarnated, recreated from everything else.
a shared memory of everything...right time, right place, right people...

dunno...maybe...dunno...worth a thought?

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

You are referring in a round about way to genomic imprinting and epigonemics.
Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Genomic imprinting has functional differences on specific genes derived from paternal versus maternal development. One is expressed, the other is silenced.

Epigonemic phenomena is well established in mice and suggested in primates. Paternal and maternal affect different behaviours, however, how this works in humans is yet to be studied to its fullest. Modificatoins of the human geonome imprint happens, though not enough information is out.

Imprinted genes are monoallelically expressed in a parent-of-origin dependent manner. Whilst the full functional repertoire of these genes remains obscure, they are generally highly expressed in the brain and are often involved in fundamental neural processes. Besides influencing brain neurochemistry, imprinted genes are important in the development and function of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, key sites of neuroendocrine regulation. Moreover, imprinted genes may directly modulate hormone-dependent signalling cascades, both in the brain and elsewhere.

Much of our knowledge about imprinted gene function has come from studying knockout mice and human disorders of imprinting. One such disorder is Prader-Willi syndrome, a neuroendocrine disorder characterised by hypothalamic abnormalities and aberrant feeding behaviour. Through examining the role of imprinted genes in neuroendocrine function, it may be possible to shed light on the neurobiological basis of feeding and aspects of social behaviour and underlying cognition, and to provide insights into disorders where these functions go awry.

www.epidna.com...

Epigenetic mechanisms, including DNA methylation, histone modifications, and other chromatin-remodeling events, are critically important in mediating precise neural gene regulation. This review focuses on discussing the role of DNA methylation and histone modifications in neural lineage differentiation, neural behavior, and synaptic plasticity.

www.epidna.com...

So the epigenetic changes are our current behavioural modifcations, and you are connecting previous behaviours by ancestors to our underlying imprints.
IF Epigenetic molecular mechanism can potentially alter underlying lifelong and transgenerational perpetuation of changes in gene expression and behavior induced by environment, then it is yet to be proven fully how these over time were imprinted on DNA.

How these imprints created the experience between three of us connected via paternal lineage.... does make me scracth my head. I shall ponder more. TY

[edit on 3-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
My understanding of Re-incarnation differs to most, i believe in 'Simultaneous Existance'. yes its part of re-incarnation, but not on a progressive level, more so on a simultaneous level, so I am also living in the past and in the future inhabitting different bodies (and alien life) of any creature of any species in the multi-dimensional universe.

Why am I here though? Thats because in the infinite mind of God or god source, an pure intelligent life form of pure energy, my consciousness CHOOSES to be here right now, and not in the past or future. Technically I can (and have done) looked into my past lives, looking into future lives is a little harder.

Also the past + present = the future, its through a fibbonaci sequence, what we go through in past lives, projects into the future (as to why its harder to tap into future lives)

DREAMTIME HEALING is about rebalancing of the imbalances of man's internally- created realities through the cycles of dimensions that man calls "time". Dreamtime healing can access the internal dimensional world of all living things, the life force, the invisible, man at times calls spirit, [different from the soul] where all creation is first set-up, and then flows through into the visible external world of reality. It is an advanced Aboriginal-healing modality, incorporating the applied knowledge of Lore that governs the internal invisible dimensions of life, which no man can escape, these are different from our external laws that govern our physical reality.

Thats from Holographic Kinetics

I've explained further in This Thread

Star and Flag Zazza!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   

there is a science to that!!?!

anyway, Zazzafraz what do feel happened, without scientific explanation.

I mean what did you feel in your gut about the experience ?

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The best books Ive read up to now on the subject are "Journey of Souls" and "Destination of Souls" by Michael Newton. Newton used Hypnotherapy to uncover "Life between lives", to find out what goes on in times the soul is not incarnate.

Another important distinction I´d like to make is that reincarnation is likely not a must but an option.

Nice thread.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

Why am I here though? Thats because in the infinite mind of God or god source, an pure intelligent life form of pure energy, my consciousness CHOOSES to be here right now, and not in the past or future. Technically I can (and have done) looked into my past lives, looking into future lives is a little harder.

Hi Marty

I dont think this differs too much from peoples thoughts. A book listed by SKY, the title is kinda it.
"Lives between Life"

There is no end to existence.
We exist within infinity.

We apply time.
Time isnt applied to us.

We apply mathematics.
Mathematics is as "live" as us. Understand symmetry.

[edit on 4-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 2theC

there is a science to that!!?! anyway, Zazzafraz what do feel happened, without scientific explanation. I mean what did you feel in your gut about the experience ?

LOL!
Yes but it only allows for behavioural adaptions on a genetic imprint level such as overeating, It wont explain memory recall, and sensory experience that we had.

What do I think.
That there are many expeirences of life and death here and elswhere. All designed to understand an aspect of self (Mind not ego). And this self is part of a collective, part of a infinite source.

I have not read on past lives (or future/current depending on your viewpoint
) but I will. I suspect that we tuned in, rather than rememebred an aspect of self. My brain can't rememeber someones past physically its not wired to, but I as in my mind can tune connect to that experience and feel it.
How that happened, not sure, thats what Im here to ask y'all !
The flowers interests me...there is connection to the smell and feel of flowers that I also want to unlock.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I remember when i was young watching a film about early fighter pilots in WW1. a trippy seventies film that i can't remember the name of or what happened, but i remember seeing it twice, i must have been about 7...
What i do remember is an overwhelming feeling that I felt a very strong connection to this period and the characters in the film. Not that i identified them in any way but , even now as i am typing, almost a nervousness about it from deep with in me.

this is the first i have mentioned it, its just been sitting there. I have always had this feeling that maybe this is a period and place that i have once ( or simultaneously ) been a part of.
That is the only time i have felt the past so strongly and it may have been the way the film was portrayed that gave me that feeling.
did i live then, i don't know but thirty years later i long to find this film again and see...

a friend has also an interesting experience with her son. He believes he died in plane a crash and she has followed up on this through hypnosis and found that she was also his mother in a previous life. Now i don't know how much we can take from this but it certainly freaked her out, like they have had a second chance. ( this bears similarities with the case of the little american boy that felt he died over Iwa Jima in a plane and could even recall his old friends ( they found them!) and how the planes worked etc ... see link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

maybe something really sticks in past lives memories of flying??

by the way,
i have had dreams of flying in a by-plane albeit the wings were chicken fillets!!!!
( don't ask!! but it sure was fun!)

[edit on 4-9-2009 by 2theC]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Cool thread.

I have had dreams of which I knew that were not only dreams but something else that I interpreted as memories of past lives. The way I tell a normal dream from one of these other "special past memories" is that in a normal dream I am what I know as myself here, my current body and mind are present and influence the whole outcome of the dream. On these other dreams that I recognize as past lives I am not present, but I identify/recognize myself as someone/something else, with a different body and a different mind. It also seems like I'm just watching instead of actually living it (I see what I think is myself in third person instead of first person like a common dream, although I feel like I'm living it, just like when you are moved by a really good movie).

Its really intriguing. I've had 3 of these. One in which I was a penguin.

My pseudo-take on the subject is the following:

Existence is a project. We can call it play or like the Hindus call it, Lila (play of the gods). This project is like the writing of a novel and then the subsequent "live action" of the script. Its a flexible project because for the Great Author the goal is to "be blown away" by the infinite possibilities that lie as a potential in his mind and that unfolds itself just by creating the "beginning idea".

So after writing a rough script with all the characters the Great Author divides itself in the characters so that the infinite possibilities start to take place. Now we have the first "wave of life" or "first incarnation". After the first incarnation takes place many new possibilities and features that were unknown by the Great Author itself come to his awareness and so the script is updated and the drama continues. Now a new wave of life is needed as to keep the epic going because the mind of the creator is infinite but the "paper" or "ink" [physical existence] runs short every now and then so that the Great Author takes a break and don't get obsessive about the project, which in reality is just a way to have fun and we don't want it to become self-destructive madness (which would eventually happen if we couldn't take a break).

So basically, we as divided individuals are assigned to a specific role in the current state of the epic so that the epic continues to be and to become. And when the ink or the paper goes out again we are updated with the current state of the story and are showed options of roles in which to partake. We have the potential to merge with the Great Author while taking our roles and so we can become the Little Authors which would increase the capacity and speed of the unleashing of infinite possibilities.

I don't know if that explains it all. Does that make sense? Do you feel that something is missing from the perspective that I just shared which makes it hard to believe or understand? If so, I'd like to know so that I can try to fill in the gaps.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join