It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be better if you weren't born?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

Because...for me at least...I provide myself with a decent reason for living.

I have not seen a doctor about depression because I fully intend to become a firefighter when I grow up. I want nothing to stand in the way of that... If I can do a job saving lives, then I have one of the best reasons to live ever.

Nevermind the fact that I know full well how much it would hurt my friends and family, and just because I may feel theres no point sometimes, it doesn't turn me into somebody who doesn't care about anyone else...

It's hard to understand for someone who has never been there, so don't be so quick to judge. And I don't mean been there once, because you never know you've really been there until you get there again...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
DON'T know, I try to give it meaning, but I don't FEEL I get any satisfaction from anything. I really want to get a full life going, but it seems that is an illusion to some degree. I wish I could answer this the moment I died, can't give a conclusion as of now.

There is a lot of needless suffering, I would say NO if we did not live with this system of
quasi slavery, IMO.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye

Because...for me at least...I provide myself with a decent reason for living.

I have not seen a doctor about depression because I fully intend to become a firefighter when I grow up. I want nothing to stand in the way of that... If I can do a job saving lives, then I have one of the best reasons to live ever.

Nevermind the fact that I know full well how much it would hurt my friends and family, and just because I may feel theres no point sometimes, it doesn't turn me into somebody who doesn't care about anyone else...

It's hard to understand for someone who has never been there, so don't be so quick to judge. And I don't mean been there once, because you never know you've really been there until you get there again...
Based on your response, you clearly are not the person I was describing. The person I was describing does not care about life and wishes they were never born. The person I was describing would never find being a firefighter and saving lives to be a noble cause. Because if this is all a big nothing, then what's the point of wasting any time saving lives? You're obviously not that person.

I can actually sympathize with your comments, so I'm going to throw your own advice right back at you and tell you not to be so quick to judge. I have battled, and continue to battle, with depression. I have been on anti-depressents and I've seen a psychologist in the past. I've been what many would describe a miserable and negative human being on more occasions than I can count. And, of course, there have been moments when I questioned whether or not I should have ever been born. I think everyone has at some point. The difference between me and the individual I was describing is that I have always been able to take a step back and look at the big picture. Even at my worst moments I had the sense to realize that they paled in comparison to the suffering and agony that millions, if not billions, of people experience as a part of their daily existence.

So I have a big problem with punks who hop on their nice computer via their WiFi connection in their 3,000 sq ft homes with central air and act like they are actually suffering and that life is a big nothing to them. I don't deny that life can be hard for all of us at times, but give me a break. If you're going to come online and constantly cry that we live in the matrix and all of this is just b.s. and we're just slaves, then go do something about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I will say this: I WANT TO LIVE

however, if somehow I was given the choice to not be born, I would have chosen non-existence rather than being born in this bloody and war-ridden planet.

But I am already here; I already exist and it is meaningless to question whether i would choose to be born.

However, although I could commit suicide, I will not do so, because now that I'm in this world, I will do whatever i can to improve the lives of other human beings who also did not ask to be born.

Life is meaningless, but that does not mean that one could not create purpose to one's life. I would have liked to not be born in this world, but now that I'm here I will do whatever i can to improve this place we call home, even if just a little bit.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Just seeing if this works. Got a new phone I upraged!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Just seeing if this works. Got a new phone I upraged!

To explain the above,since this thread is pretty much gone, I bought a new phone today, has all that cool stuff... was pretty sure it would've said I didn't via mobile.. hmm.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

You're right, I didn't even follow my own advice.

I apologise for that.
I'm sure you understand how easy it is to become annoyed when you think a comment is aimed at you on such an issue, but that was little excuse to hand out advice even I ignored.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

You SOB, you know I have to spend 44+ dollars on that book now!

Damn. lol, I'll buy it in a week or two, I just have to now!

I empathize, but don't understand if it's worthy.

I know, I know...I keep meaning to buy it myself but the price puts me off and its more the idea than the content that interests me.I think there was a softcover verion before that was cheaper; maybe you could find it for less on another site. I'll hunt around to., or at least put it on my list of 15 quintillion other things to do

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Personally, no, it would not be better if I was never born.

Although I didn't choose this existence, I couldn't choose to give it away either. Who then would have taken that homeless guy to mcdonalds for a warm cup of coffee and a very filling mcgriddle? Who would have found that little girls cat and returned it and in turn not taken her parents 20 dollar reward? I haven't done much in my 23 years, but I like to think I have brightened peoples days by things such as this, or simply with a warm smile and a hearty "good morning".

I hate to be cliche but I believe the addage "live like you are dieing" is relevant to this thread. How many people seriously want their last days of existence on this planet to be those of agony, depession, sloth, and so on? I don't know many. Deep down people have good seeds. If we knew we were leaving this world in a matter of days or months I do not think we would be such egotistic and materalistic beings.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yes, because I'm a weird, weird man. The only good thing about me is I get a lot of women because I'm a celebrity.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
Personally, no, it would not be better if I was never born.

Although I didn't choose this existence, I couldn't choose to give it away either. Who then would have taken that homeless guy to mcdonalds for a warm cup of coffee and a very filling mcgriddle? Who would have found that little girls cat and returned it and in turn not taken her parents 20 dollar reward? I haven't done much in my 23 years, but I like to think I have brightened peoples days by things such as this, or simply with a warm smile and a hearty "good morning".

It is clear from reading this you have a good heat and a sincere desire to behave morally. Your first sentence in particular reminds me that I am kept here mostly by a sense of responsiblity to my family. I hope you will be able to maintain these attitudes long and strong in life, as much and as long as possible.

I think a lot of people become "morally battered" as they go through life; life itself often forces us to make tragic moral choices where what's right and what's wrong are not aways clear. Or perhaps we will have to chose the lesser of two evils, causing harm in one way as we simultanously do good in a another (and, we hope, greater) way. Sometimes we simply make moral mistakes, or our good intentions turn out to have side, knock-on effects we never imagined. It can be very confusing and draining, and the longer a man lives, the more potential for error he has.

This is difficult; it cauterizes the hearts in some people, creates a kind of strenth in others...still others drive themselves morlly insane in a way. I think society is structured to driving people down the "just numb yourself to survive" road because its easiest all around for everyone, although this can of course lead to horrific, wide-spread evil as entire societies brainwash themselves into a kind of non-thinking, ethichally robotic state of existence.

I hate to be cliche but I believe the addage "live like you are dieing" is relevant to this thread. How many people seriously want their last days of existence on this planet to be those of agony, depession, sloth, and so on? I don't know many. Deep down people have good seeds. If we knew we were leaving this world in a matter of days or months I do not think we would be such egotistic and materalistic beings.

Despite the corruptness and moral scarrig/numbness mentioned above, I believe people remain capable of good their whole lives, although perhaps not complete good. We can see this the way most parents do truly love their children. But often delusion and the great, blind, grinding wheel of fate tragically break men...this is the purpose of all great tragetic literature: it is great because it allows a shared a recognition that while man is not helpless, he is not completely in control either of himself or his ethical life.

I'd like to believe there is something "inherently good" in man, and maybe there is, but history and daily life are full of so many forms of horror that I just don't know...how many other species has slaughtered hundreds of millions of its own kind in constant war? Human cruelty and bloodlust sometimes seems unslakable. Everyone's train of personal baggage gets longer, everyone gets hurt: physically, mentally, psychospirtually, however...just in the rough and tumble of life.

I have tended to isolate myself more and more from human contact over the decades, but part of me still loves humanity and I know that deep down inside it is possible to connect with something not only good but perhaps even approaches the sacred in man. and this is what makes life worth living.

[edit on 9/5/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Dude, make a big ''kill yourself'' cult and run the experiment.
Let us know how it turns out.
Get a bunch of people to kill themselves and then use those experiences to tune in to the absolute killing source matrix.
Use those results to predict the proper killing point for yourself.
When you actually walk right into your death without knowing anything about it....

That is the best.

You just need to study a bunch of kills in different spots and look for patterns. Figure out where the focus of the killing is and then position yourself there. You'll literally walk right into your death. It will shock and amaze you for a little bit while your consciousness fades to black. I suppose it will be a self-evident sort of thing. You'll know. The end.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

Are you high?

What are you talking about?

Did you post in the wrong thread?

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Can't we give ourselves one more chance
Why can't we give love that one more chance
Why can't we give love give love give love give love
give love give love give love give love give love

For those of you who would think this world would be better without you...how about you suck it up, give yourself the self-entitlement you DESERVE for being a decent human being (which I hope you all are), and thank whatever it is you wish to thank for a shot at life.

Have a little love for yourself, and try to make a positive influence on the world. Not for us, but for yourself. Everyone deserves a little recognition...

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My personal belief about my life is that I am here because I have some things to learn.

This life is a big school and we are here to be blessed with the lessons so that our spirits may grow.

I find that life, is in fact, a gift. I'm sorry that you don't. Maybe you're just in a hole, I don't know. Lord knows we all get in one at one time or another.

I have had so many life experiences and hopefully, many more to come. These are good and bad ones. I've made good choices and very bad ones. I've learned from them. That doesn't mean that I wont make bad choices again, just maybe not the same bad choices. I don't know if you'll get my post, but that's my belief.

Oh and since we're on the subject, I think we also choose the hardships we will face and that it is predetermined. I think we pick our parents. I think we pick our circumstances in life before we come here. Don't ask me why I think these things because I really don't know. I just think it.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
its too late to debate such a topic.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I doubt it would be better or worse. It would be different. We all touch, and interact with others in such a way that if one of use were not to be born, the interactions that lead everyone to the lives they lead now would not have happened.

Something like simply checking out at a grocery store might delay someone behind you just enough where they are not involved in a fatal accident.... or cause them to be involved in a fatal accident. Without that delay the outcome would change. Everything we have done in our lives has had an affect on literally trillions of outcomes that lead us to this day.

So, no. It wouldn't be better, and it wouldn't be worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by uplander

Oh and since we're on the subject, I think we also choose the hardships we will face and that it is predetermined. I think we pick our parents. I think we pick our circumstances in life before we come here. Don't ask me why I think these things because I really don't know. I just think it.

No, you don't just think it. You KNOW it. Say it.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join