It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be better if you weren't born?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Just try and hack it - it is hard, but it can be done.

You are young - you can make it!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

WOW - I have an American friend!!!

Aussie enemies and Anerican friends!

Oh crap - third line.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I would chose to be born. I may not like a lot of things going on in the world but I love the planet herself : ) I love sitting outside and watching the ocean or the sky and esp thunderstorms. If I werent born I wouldnt know what these wonderful natural things are. I dont care about material things, we made them and I can do without. Everything I need I can get from the Earth herself to survive. It's how you live your life is what matters. I may not have money, a good job, my bf lives far away and I am struggling but I am happy I am alive and living to see so many things happen in the world. I watch the sun rise every morning and I love it!

As for assisted suicides for the terminally ill then I think they should be allowed to let themselves pass. Nobody should have to suffer like that. They should be allowed to go to the next phase in their life in peace not in pain.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
Given the choice right now, if never having been born...I would take it.

I suffer depression (A doctor I was seeing for heart issue reccomeneded I see my GP about it, but I refuse to for my own reasons.) and I've been on the edge of killing myself over 10 times in the past three years. And I don't speak to any of the people who stopped me from doing it anymore... one I just drfited away from, but the rest all suddenly hurt me for differing reasons.

I'm 17... I'm selfish, I can be horrible without even knowing it, I have done things that...even I'm disgusted with at times. All around me I see people achieving whilst I slowly drift on by.

All around me I see people happy, finding someone they care about...whilst I get hurt continually.

And all the time you have to act happy, because if you don't then there must be something wrong with you...because other people try to live your life for you.

I wont kill myself, because thats not fair on the people left behind....but a chance not to have been born, now that sounds great to me.

The only person who can get you out of depression is yourself. Who got you there after all?

You said your selfish so whats stopping you from being the opposite?

You said you have done things that disgust yourself, whats stopping you from doing things that make you feel proud of yourself?

You said that other people are trying to live your life for you, thats impossible but other people can try and guide you and will do as you are young. Thats not a bad thing, when you are older you will understand that people who try to push you in directions are only wanting what they think is best for you because you do not know yet.

Look at what you just wrote again, your admitting to yourself that your not happy with the way you act but then your pointing the finger at people who appear to be happy.

At the same time your pointing the finger at the same thing and saying you cannot kill yourself because of the people who are happy.

Dont you see that all along you are making yourself unhappy by not acting the way you want to be in life. Your stopping yourself from living the way you want to and from being happy. The whole depression thing is thrown in just to package the whole thing into one big mess instead. Depression should be called confusion because thats all thats wrong with you, your confused.

If you do not understand anything I have written you will one day but most importantly keep going in life. You will get there I can guarantee that if you keep going. There is no point in ending life because you feel trapped by other people, thats an illusion. Your trapping yourself if you take time to think about it.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I wasn't going to even read this thread, I have surgery next week and I'm superstitious, but just to chime in, if I wasn't born then my kids would never had been born. I may/may not change the world or the people in it, but my sons will.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It's a really difficult subject at the end of the day.

See, I know that I wouldn't want to have to suffer; and not just pain, humiliation. Some people who's bodies disintergrate still have full awareness and know what's happening to them, but they can't stop it. I definetely wouldn't want my family to go through it, but whether or not they'd want me to die quickly is another story.
But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to be the one administering the dose to kill someone, no matter how much good it did. There'd always be the doubt of, what if it goes wrong? Or what if we find a cure? Or even what if they changed their minds?
Plus the possible mis-useage of it for someone to get their inheritence early, or to get rid of someone they could be looking after.

Plus where do you draw the line? Do we euthanise old people with altzimers, because they can't tell us whether or not they wan't to, but probably suffer while they're confused over what's going on around them, as do their family if they don't recognise them. Or people who decide they can't live with a disease that others manage? Or babies with a disability.
This might be going too deep into the issue, but this is everything that has to be considered in an Ethics and Philosophy exam, so it, and more, would have to be in legalising Euthanasia.

Personally, if it's managed correctly with tight rules then I'd say it could be more good then bad, but Abortion proves to us that once legalised, it's very difficult to hold down the rules set and it becomes easier and easier for a person to terminate their pregnancy, no matter how they managed to get pregnant in the first place.

I'd hate to be in charge of making the decision, which is probably why in the UK we just keep saying no...

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Just watched the video of Kevorkian. He's friggin awesome! He actually said, "most of us are sheeple."
I also liked his comment about the USA being the the biggest "law factory in the world."

But anywho, assisted suicuide should be legal. Who the hell can tell someone that he or she has to keep living!

Don't really ask the question to myself about wishing of being born or not. I am here. So might as make the most fun out of it while I can.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayana

I just realised I didn't answer the question at all, I got sidetracked with Euthanasia.

I don't think anyone should wish they hadn't been born, and if they do, they should really get help as it isn't the best way to think.
Everyone, religious or not, should really think they're here for a reason, whether to change one life or many. I think everyone does something good, and even if they aren't remembered for it, if a person wasn't born, then other things owuld change.
I haven't contributed much, but I'm sure if I hadn't been born, people's lives would be completely different, and who knows what could happen.

Basically, no matter how bad things could get in the future, I hope I can always hold on to the thought that I must be here for a reason.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I notice (lots actually) that there is this overwhelming number of people (mostly youth) who go right out and say "they hate people".

Its a blanket statement to begin with, and I am not a big fan of such things.

Of course, I remember not that long ago when I was very fond of saying the exact thing. I was a huge people hater. I'm not sure, but I think the reasons were the following-

1-I was not happy with myself (not fully anyways). But I loved myself more then anything. This lead me to being overly judgmental of anyone I considered different then me, less critical, or whatnot.

2-I judged people for weakness or stupidity. Two things we ALL share, yet my ego was unable to allow it in others. I saw people as a hive of damaged insects too obsessed with nothing important.

3-The anger and hostility found in simply trying to communicate anything complex with anyone else, seemed overbearing. It was easier to hate then it was to forgive, understand or allow anyone the right to be "flawed".

4-I just blamed others for everything around me. Sure I always took responsibility for "my own" problems and actions within this life, but I blamed the rest of humanity for the problems I felt I had no control over.

Alls I can say is, after many years I began to drift towards understanding humans more. I saw my own flaws clearer, and learned to accept others with an open mind.

Funny how that leads quickly to forgiveness and that forgiveness leads way to loving others with a more open mind.

Nowadays, I find myself feeling compassion and forgiveness for others and myself more easily. I'm just not so bitter inside and people's flaws seem like an opportunity for conversation and interaction (not just a slamming door of hate).

It seems that the media around us glorifies hate and destruction of everything (and everyone) around us. I personally do not think this was an accident. I think there are powers that want us to "not get along".

After all, there is so much for "them" to take advantage of if we do not love or respect ourselves or those around us.

At times I feel like I've lost an edge to my wit or savageness and that puts me at a disadvantage against those still obsessed with destruction, but for the most part I have found that more people gravitate towards me and my life with a positive outlook.

I also notice that once you radiate such harmony, that even the most darkest of dispositions end up giving you love in return.

Sounds carebear-ish, sure, and that can be seen as weakness by those living the life of the savage jungle. But in the end it has delivered to me a small army of the greatest folks I have ever had the opportunity to meet.

Long story short...in anger and hate I seemed to attract folks who laughed at others pain and misfortune. Nowadays I seem to attract way more positive outlooks (even from the haters), and everything started becoming a "better ride" on planet earth.

I love humans, in all their messed-up-ness.

I want to meet many more and have a chance to learn from them.

I also would rather die then ever be forced to return to those bitter days of people-loathing-as-a-whole.

I see it as I was once blind and happy.

Now I feel like I have super sight and have achieved a truer happiness.

I wouldn't trade the events that changed my views for any level of power, riches or women. I am just glad to share this physical place with all of the humans.

What a great place to exist.

Now if I could only spread the "coolness" of compassion over the "coolness" of hate.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Mr Mask]

[edit on 3-9-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

You said your selfish so whats stopping you from being the opposite?

You said you have done things that disgust yourself, whats stopping you from doing things that make you feel proud of yourself?

You said that other people are trying to live your life for you, thats impossible but other people can try and guide you and will do as you are young. Thats not a bad thing, when you are older you will understand that people who try to push you in directions are only wanting what they think is best for you because you do not know yet.

Dont you see that all along you are making yourself unhappy by not acting the way you want to be in life. Your stopping yourself from living the way you want to and from being happy. The whole depression thing is thrown in just to package the whole thing into one big mess instead. Depression should be called confusion because thats all thats wrong with you, your confused.

[edit on 3-9-2009 by XXXN3O]

I don't realise I'm being selfish at the time though, thats the issue...I don't think most selfish people realise they are being selfish until some time later after it has happened. I can't stop something I don't realise is happening.

Because the things that disgust me now, didn't before..they WERE the things that made me feel proud and good about life. Then I realised how stupid I'd been after realisation was forced onto me.

I say they can live my life for me, because as selfish as I can be, I don't realise I'm doing that....but I do care too much about people. I'd still take a bullet for the girl who used me to break up relationships, who made me feel happy, who got me into possible prison time, and then left. I'd still take a bullet for her....so when someone tells me what I should do to be happy, I generally go and do it...because it might make them happy to see I'm doing what they said I should.

I think the main problem is, I never used to be this person. I used to be someone you could trust, someone who would never do anything selfish. And I changed, I don't know why and I wish I didn't but I did....and people still see me as the person I used to be. Ultimately, I'd like a fresh start...where people have no ideas of who I used to be, and simply treat me as the person I am now... But that means leaving everything behind.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well now that I exist I'd prefer to continue to exist. the prospect of just blinking out into a void, a place without thought, feeling, time, place, nothingness, it absolutely, positively, to my bones frightens me. Obviously the question at hand is is you were not born, and you were given a choice, would you choose birth. This question is irrelevant, because before birth, like after birth, we do not exist, and are unable to use the frontal lobe of our brains (which also doesn't exist) in order to comprehend that question.

To twist the question, after having lived a bit, do I wish I was never born? No, I enjoy life, because the opposite seems frighteningly dull.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Suicide should not be frowned upon if done for the right reasons.I also don't think the state has any business in it if the person is of clear mind.As for wishing i was never born...well none of us are really born,that baby could have become anyone yet experiences in life moulded you/me,if that makes sense.I can't watch the videos so i don't know if im completely off topic.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i'm glad to be born if were just to have ridden by bike in moab just once. one of the best rides in my life. also to have made a difference in some of my friend's life and to have met and loved my wife.

other than that, i could move on.

i also think that people should be able to chose what ever they decide with life. i would never condemn someone whom was dying of cancer and living in pain and depression everyday. it should be their right to do as they wish. and i think dr. K was a saint in providing this service.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There have been moments in my life that I wished that I were never born. There might very well be more in the future. That's life, sometimes.
However, at the moment, I am uninsured. If I were to contract some horrible life threatening illness where I have a 50/50 chance or worse of surviving and it's going to cost me or my family a fortune, I would rather be euthanized than force my family into economic bondage.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I was thinking of the elimination of all the people that proved so unpopular.
Like Hitler took so many years and lives to have him eliminated.
Millions protected him as if they had no choice.
Some one introducing Hitler to a Kevorkian at that time could have saved lives.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
i support kevorkian and the entire right to die scenerio.
i think kevorkian did good things for a lot of people.
i know there are terrible, slow and painful ways to die and if i ever get stricken with one i would like to be able to off myself. preferably with a doctors help.

imagine if you had to live with crutzfield jacob or als....?
no way man. give me a super dose of morphine and let me ride the lightning

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If i was contemplating suicide because of health issues that would severely diminish my quality of life,i would probably sidestep the doctors or say dignitas.Too much legal ramifications for me personally.A trip to the garden centre,hand over a £1 for some seeds and pretty soon i will be sorted.Can't exactly prosecute family etc for that.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It would be better if you weren't born.

Why does a baby cry right when it is born, would it not know that it exists therefor be happy.

Or is it because the being realizes it has just been binded to a different dimension via enveloping a human offspring there for causing impulses to force the human offspring that it envelops to cry.

Reincarnation, it's real, but it means you are still on your path.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am by no means a religious person...however I feel that I have a purpose in this world, I have already changed many lives in my short time on this planet. some for the better and some not so much. It is all part of the lessons to be learned, and I hope to incorporate those lessons when I am re-born. and when my life esssence has served its purpose and I am no longer needed my engery will live eternally.

so if I had been given the choice...I would have chosen to live

[edit on 3-9-2009 by twosandman]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
To all those who wish they were never born and consider themselves "slaves"... you have the power to bring your "slavery" to an end. If you really think this life is all a big fraud and a big nothing, then why waste another second here? You are just taking up space and using valuable resources that those of us who wish to live would rather use. Perhaps you should sell off everything you own and send the proceeds to a poor African family or a homeless family right here in the States that actually wants to live. Then you can find the tallest bridge and jump off of it. Actually, that's a bad idea. Doing so would just cause a traffic jam and could result in first responders injuring themselves or even dying in an attempt to fish your body out of the river. Maybe it would be better if you just dug a hole somewhere, buried as much of yourself as humanly possible, and blew your brains out.

I am so sick of people, especially in this country, complaining about how miserable they are and what a big nothing their life is. As others in this thread have said, there is so much to be grateful for. So many of us snobby Westerners have our good health, plenty of loved ones who care about us, a roof over our heads and food in our stomachs. That is a lot to be grateful for, especially considering how horribly so many others in the world live. Now some of you will say that this is all part of the propaganda or whatever that has been ingrained in my head and that this logic of mine, or lack thereof, is all part of the slave mentality that has been instilled in me. Well, so be it. Maybe that's so. But I'd much rather be happy and content and live in complete oblivion than be one of you miserable cry babies who wishes they were never born. Because I genuinely feel sorry for you, and I feel sorry that a life was wasted on you when there are so many suffering out there who are far more deserving of the good health and well being that you enjoy.

Seriously... I hate to be so blunt and cold. But if you really wish you were never born and that life is all a big "nothing", then put up or shut up. If you really believe this and really believe that religion is a big scam and that nothing happens to you after you die, then why are you still breathing? We live in an overpopulated world and resources are evaporating with every day that passes. Help those of us that actually want to live by taking your life. Of course I would prefer that you sought counseling or perhaps worked with those who really have a reason to want to die (ie: AIDS and cancer patients) and realized what arrogant fools you are, but if that doesn't make you appreciative of the life you have, then by all means break the shackles and bring it all to an end.

I don't want people to think that I'm endorsing suicide or anything, because I genuinely do not want to see anyone take their life. It's a terrible thing, especially for their friends and loved ones. But if you are so sure that this world we live in is a fraud and that we are all slaves, and if you really wish you were never born, then I have to wonder what you're still doing breathing. Unless, of course, you're just full of crap like so many others on here!

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join